Mishimoto Intercooler Impressions

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Just wanted to leave a some thoughts about the Mishimoto Intercooler.

Install wasn't that difficult, I'm hardly a seasoned mechanic and there wasn't a time at which I felt I was in over my head. It helped that I had taken the bumper cover off once before to do a GT grille swap so I was familiar with the process.

First time I took off the cover I did everything by hand, since then I had purchased an impact wrench - makes it about 100x easier to do things. Other than that, the install was very straightforward - you'll have to move the ac condenser upwards in order to be able to fit the Mishimoto IC on the hangers and it can be difficult to wiggle in there.

That's about the only quirks to the install. In short, buy an impact wrench.

As for the results, 1000% worth it. We were in a bit of a heatwave the past few weeks and I really felt I had to baby the car with the stock cooler. Granted it's only been on for two days and temps have only been in the low 80's, but it's remarkable the difference in charge air temps.

With the stocker after even light driving I'd see near 130-140F without much effort. Compounded with red lights, it would sit and soak at that temperature and only come down to about 115 - 120 once driving again. With the Mishi FMIC, at ambient of about 78F - CAT's would rarely exceed 88F when moving. Sure, it'll climb past 100 at a red light, but it recovers very quickly. The motor doesn't seem suffocated by the hot air, feels much more free.

I have plenty of datalogs from with the stock IC, will get some good post stock IC logs and post 'em here for those interested.

My advice, don't wait for this mod...simply a must.
Sponsored

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Just wanted to leave a some thoughts about the Mishimoto Intercooler.

Install wasn't that difficult, I'm hardly a seasoned mechanic and there wasn't a time at which I felt I was in over my head. It helped that I had taken the bumper cover off once before to do a GT grille swap so I was familiar with the process.

First time I took off the cover I did everything by hand, since then I had purchased an impact wrench - makes it about 100x easier to do things. Other than that, the install was very straightforward - you'll have to move the ac condenser upwards in order to be able to fit the Mishimoto IC on the hangers and it can be difficult to wiggle in there.

That's about the only quirks to the install. In short, buy an impact wrench.

As for the results, 1000% worth it. We were in a bit of a heatwave the past few weeks and I really felt I had to baby the car with the stock cooler. Granted it's only been on for two days and temps have only been in the low 80's, but it's remarkable the difference in charge air temps.

With the stocker after even light driving I'd see near 130-140F without much effort. Compounded with red lights, it would sit and soak at that temperature and only come down to about 115 - 120 once driving again. With the Mishi FMIC, at ambient of about 78F - CAT's would rarely exceed 88F when moving. Sure, it'll climb past 100 at a red light, but it recovers very quickly. The motor doesn't seem suffocated by the hot air, feels much more free.

I have plenty of datalogs from with the stock IC, will get some good post stock IC logs and post 'em here for those interested.

My advice, don't wait for this mod...simply a must.
Awesome to see this review, thank you very much for posting this up! We are pleased to hear we were able to make driving your Mustang a more enjoyable experience.

Looking forward to the logs!

-John

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Agree 100%. Bought and installed mine last week. So much better - especially with Adam's tune from MAP! :D

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
This should be a must do. It was my second mod after charge temps went 170+ while tuning. First shakedown I logged and temps while cruising were 138*. As soon as I got on it 0-100, the temps nose dived below 120 to a trough of around 112-118 while under full boost in 3rd-4th gear. They then came back up to "normal" while under decel and cruise.

I continue to see the same performance over and over.

I did the install in about 45 minutes having done a front bumper removal before (and using power tools) and studying install videos prior to install.

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
Does anyone have the black one. Would the black model be a bit less efficient since it would have a coat of paint on it?

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Shouldn't be an issue. Radiators, oil coolers, and I/C's have been painted for decades.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Yea I wouldn't worry about the paint. I know they're finishing WRX FMIC in gold....kinda want that.

Skenneyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost 6MT, PP, recaros
Ugh. Trying so hard to make it to the first oil change stock! :D

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I burned up my free dealer oil change and went home and installed the Unleashed tune within the first two weeks of purchase IIRC. Had wheels and tires delivered, GT grille, I/C, JLT CAI all before the 1000 mile mark.

Bought it July 30 and if I play my cards right I should turn 1964.5 miles as I pull into the car show at the Mustang Stampede in Mustang, OK this weekend. Photo op! lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
That would be a great picture! I'm already at 15,000 miles since January - had a bad commute for the first few months of ownership, plus it's just too much fun to not drive.

Doc013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Lovin my Mishi IC in Blk. Also like the warranty, and the fact that Mishimoto is not going anywhere, products are EXTENSIVELY tested too.

undres

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost with big turbo Tune+
Any noticeable difference when during harder pulls in hot weather?

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Yes. This is why:

Both taken on days with ~89-94* ambients. Both after repeated runs 0-100.

I meant to grab shots of both logs with identical info showing but nonetheless these are both 0-100 runs.

Obviously the car post intercooler install will be running much better with less timing being yanked.
CAT Pre.png
CAT after.png

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Did you have to have torrie write a new tune after you installed it? I'm ordering mine in 2 weeks from him, black and spark plugs with his tune
Sponsored