Sponsored

Help with Kia brakes (not mine)

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I am helping a co-worker out. Its her sons car, a 2008 Kia Spectra5 non-abs. As he was driving down the interstate the car became harder and harder to maintain his speed. Eventually the car was pulled over and stopped. It was towed to a shop where they said the brake fluid was contaminated with fluid other then brake fluid. Said the color and texture didn't feel right. They recommended a new master cylinder. $450 installed and diagnostic. Still had the same problem. Then they recommended both front calipers and all rubber brake lines in front to be replaced, as the swelling can cause the brakes to not be able to release the pressure. $950 was more then she wanted to pay. This is where I come in. I replaced both calipers and all 4 front rubber lines for $250 parts and labor. They pick the car up and get about 4 miles down the road, same problem. When it does this, all 4 wheel hubs are hot and the brakes are smoking. I trailer the car to my house. After the car sits, it can be driven again for a short trip. I look on the net and see that there are a few people with the same problem and replaced the same parts. 1 guy says that they eventually replaced the power brake booster and all is well. I tell her this and she orders a new booster. Last night I replaced the booster and take it for a longer test drive then the last time. I get about 3 miles into the trip and I feel the brakes starting to slowly lock up again. I turn around and get about a mile before the car just won't go. I have no tools. Looking under the hood, I decided to pop the vacuum line for the power booster off, and I hear a hiss. The car was in neutral and all of the sudden it starts rolling. I get in and its fine. I drive it home and around the the block and its not doing it. I then remembered that I didn't put the hose clamp back on. put it back on and after a short trip, locked again, but its in my garage at the time. Pop the vacuum line off and its free. What can cause this? I don't see a check valve listed for this car. So far the parts replaced are Power booster, Master cylinder, both front calipers and all 4 rubber hoses. When I took the old booster off, you can suck on the vacuum line and feel and hear the air. When you blow, also same thing. The original looks to have a blown diaphragm. What else should I be looking at? Thanks for any help you can provided (besides a road flare, already suggested that to her).
Sponsored

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Nobody has any idea what it could be? I'm going to hook up a vacuum pump and see if I can replicate it without having to drive it. Also going to put a vacuum gauge on it and see what its pulling for vaccum at the booster.