Sponsored

The Great BIG CAI Thread

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
So you drilled the side of the ecoboost grill to the intake? On the GT, this is open so the big mouth snorkel can be installed. If us ecoboost people want it, we need the GT grill, or drill the section out like you did. Has anyone with an ecoboost tried this:
http://www.velossatechdesign.com/product/2015-2017-s550-mustang-big-mouth-ram-air-kit/

I hear they work well on the focus st
Yes sir. I also noticed that having the grill open by the inlet allows me to hear the air sucking in under boost and DV operation much better. It also provided a very still drop in inlet pressure loss, but not as large as Airaid tube swap.
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Yes sir. I also noticed that having the grill open by the inlet allows me to hear the air sucking in under boost and DV operation much better. It also provided a very still drop in inlet pressure loss, but not as large as Airaid tube swap.
Did you feel any difference in performance?

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Did you feel any difference in performance?
It felt like the turbo spool up faster but I also upgraded hot and cold side charge pipes at the same time. I also installed a WMI kit and tuned for it afterwards, so only measurable improvement I can attribute to the intake tube is the inlet pressure loss.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
I highly doubt it but airaid can't confirm without a test car in their area.
Looking up the part #FR3Z-9B659-A, but I cannot find valid years

UPDATE:

CJPony verified that they have installed the MIT pipes and are updated on their site for 2015-2017

I wonder what Fords reasoning was for necking down the intake tube so aggressively ? It would seem that it would have taken more time to design it the way they did compared to a more smooth decrease compared to the airraid and also Roush.

My guess would be they did it to reduce noise/turbulence or to increase intake velocity ?

Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
I wonder what Fords reasoning was for necking down the intake tube so aggressively ? It would seem that it would have taken more time to design it the way they did compared to a more smooth decrease compared to the airraid and also Roush.

My guess would be they did it to reduce noise/turbulence or to increase intake velocity ?
The factory tube is perfect for the factory turbo, it feathers down to the exact size of the turbo inlet. The airaid actually uses the coupling to reduce further.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Has anyone drilled holes on the intake side of the grill? That plate is blocking air into the intake. That is open on the GT grill. Wonder if drilling some of it out will increase performance slightly...

Econewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Read thru the past 21 pages.... What's the general consensus on the roush Cai? Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks

blitzzfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost, PP.
Read thru the past 21 pages.... What's the general consensus on the roush Cai? Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks
I have the Roush CAI. The Dyno charts I would say are accurate without a tune. The car actually opens up closer to the top end though at the very end it does die down. There are gaps between the heat shield and the intake pipe, allowing hot air to go into the CAI (defeating the purpose of the CAI) during WoT and high air intake scenarios.

I need to drill the holes in my grille to see if it helps out a little in that regard.

It sounds good, really hear the turbo, and it def adds a bit of performance. Am going to get a tune from Torrie @ Unleashed tunes so will really see what difference it makes after this.

af3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Debating on getting the Cobb CAI so I can run Stage 2. What is everyone's thoughts about this CAI?
I've read through this forum quite a bit, and some are saying the stock CAI is good enough for the stock turbo. Which makes sense, but I want to run Stage 2 and per Cobb that requires an after market CAI. Any suggestions, comments, tips? lol

Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Debating on getting the Cobb CAI so I can run Stage 2. What is everyone's thoughts about this CAI?
I've read through this forum quite a bit, and some are saying the stock CAI is good enough for the stock turbo. Which makes sense, but I want to run Stage 2 and per Cobb that requires an after market CAI. Any suggestions, comments, tips? lol
You would get a better gain leaving the intake stock and getting a pro tune and it will be cheaper in the long run

Reactions: af3

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone drilled holes on the intake side of the grill? That plate is blocking air into the intake. That is open on the GT grill. Wonder if drilling some of it out will increase performance slightly...
Like this?
20160916_122845.jpg

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Cp-e delta core or Cobb? There seems to be about a 300 dollar difference, but I think cobb comes with the hot side pipes and maybe a larger core.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Cp-e delta core or Cobb? There seems to be about a 300 dollar difference, but I think cobb comes with the hot side pipes and maybe a larger core.
This might need to go in the IC section, not CAI, but I see more people run CPE than cobb. Or just go levels if u dont care about removing and cutting some plastic.
Sponsored