Ford Performance Knuckle to to Toe Link Bearing

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
For anyone that's done this job, do I have any hope of doing this with the ball joint press I rented? I can't seem to piece parts together to make it work. It seems I like I need different pieces. If I need something else, can you recommend what I should ask for?
press.JPG
Sponsored

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That press looks like the one I used (maybe has a few more miles on it).

You'll want to scrounge around here and get the Outside Diameter of the socket you'll need and then find one at a parts store. The sleeves in the kit didn't work for me either. With some finagling of the pusher size/receiver size you'll get this to work.

Here is a picture of my setup.
D71_7940.jpg

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
That press looks like the one I used (maybe has a few more miles on it).

You'll want to scrounge around here and get the Outside Diameter of the socket you'll need and then find one at a parts store. The sleeves in the kit didn't work for me either. With some finagling of the pusher size/receiver size you'll get this to work.

Here is a picture of my setup.
I have the parts that are on the left side of the C clamp. I'm not sure of everything on the right. So you're saying use a 1 1/4" impact socket lined up on the bushing right? Then what's between the socket and the right side of the C clamp?

Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the parts that are on the left side of the C clamp. I'm not sure of everything on the right. So you're saying use a 1 1/4" impact socket lined up on the bushing right? Then what's between the socket and the right side of the C clamp?
From the threads I've read the Ford spec is wrong. I'd get the outside diameter measurement off the thread (there is a guy who makes a custom sleeve for the purpose). Then you'll want to measure some sockets until you find one with the right outside diameter - needs to be just a little smaller than the bearing diameter.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I believe the bottom left piece holds the cup and the top one goes between the socket and the screw, I could have it backwards as its hard to tell from the pic. The socket is basically the pusher of the bushing through the knuckle which isn't included in the press tool you rented. Keep it straight and don't mar the surface.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Alternatively, you could just take the bearing to NAPA and get a socket that is just a little smaller. As long as you have good overlap without being bigger it should work.

Tmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT PP
I just did this the other day. Same press I used and just picked up a 35mm socket and it was the perfect size to push the old bushing out.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I was initially trying to accomplish it with just the kit contents. I think what threw me was when people were talking about the wrong size socket before and even asking for it in the instructions, I thought they were referring to the cups in the kit. I was thinking, just grab a different cup. Then in the picture above, I thought maybe there was something different between the screw and the socket but I think it's just a lot newer kit and just slightly different.

I will do like [MENTION=16770]MtnBiker[/MENTION] suggests and take the FP bearing to the store and buy a socket that is slightly smaller. In that pic, it looks like a regular socket rather than an impact socket. I'll look for an impact socket but it they don't have one I guess I'll be alright with the regular socket? The next trick is trying to hold 5 separate pieces together with one hand while tightening it down with the other hand. I could see this working a lot easier if it were vertical rather than horizontal, at least gravity would be helping rather than working against me.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just did this the other day. Same press I used and just picked up a 35mm socket and it was the perfect size to push the old bushing out.
1-3/8 is also the same to within a tenth of a mm.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
1-3/8 is also the same to within a tenth of a mm.
I'll just use the socket size as a rough place to start since it's the outer diameter of the socket that matters. I have 3 different 21mm sockets (impact, regular and deep) that all have different outer diameters.

This old balljoint press I rented is going to make it a lot of fun. The threads are worn to the point it's difficult to turn by hand in many places. I'm always up for an adventure though! :clap2:

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Smear a little anti seize or the like on the threads to lube them to help it go easier. I used that exact press to do my RLCA bearing and it looked in worse shape.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Smear a little anti seize or the like on the threads to lube them to help it go easier. I used that exact press to do my RLCA bearing and it looked in worse shape.
WOW! OK, that inspires confidence. I'm sure this bushing is much easier than the RLCA bushing. I've heard horror stories about that 1.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I also used a 1 1/2" ACE Hardware socket I do believe. And swore my ass off when the assembly fell 100 times before I could get it tightened up. If you have a kid or significant other or helpful neighbor to hold it all in place until you tighten the bolt, get one. I ended up using friggin' mailing tape. Haha.
Sponsored