Status
Not open for further replies.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
UPDATE:
Once CJPP was made aware of the shortcomings of this pipe, they went back to address the problem with their manufacturer. CJPP has made it right 100% for me and others who have bought and installed this pipe, which is above and beyond on their part. Top notch customer service!

-----------------------
UPS just dropped off the mild steel CJPP H-pipe. Shipping was fast and dealing with CJPP was great, but upon inspection wanted to give a heads-up to anyone on the fence about buying one of these. Looks like a very nice piece externally - crossover welds look very nice.

Now the bad - the crossover holes made inside the long pipes appear to be roughly cut via plasma cutter and only about the diameter of a quarter or so. (Kind of hard to tell exactly looking down into the pipes with a flashlight.) There's also some welding slag inside one pipe I'll have to grind out. I'm thinking the benefit of the "H" will be minimal over just running 2 independent pipes with no crossover due to the restrictive hole sizes.

I'll probably cut the H in half, grind out the holes to the diameter of the crossover, then weld it all back together. Sigh, the point of paying $100+ for this piece was to avoid having to fab up something from say the Summit $45 kit, but my OCD is going to get the best of me here.

BTW, it's probably just my level of psychosis at play here. I once spent hours cleaning up weld slag on the inside of a borla cat-back just because. LOL...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the same reaction when I examined mine. They told me the cross pipe in the H was for sound to pass between the pipes and not for gas flow. I bought it for sound and wasn't expecting any performance increase so I was OK with it. Certainly sounded good.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Well this is an interesting time for this topic to come up. I'm about to purchase this very soon.

this one right? http://www.cjponyparts.com/resonator-delete-h-pipe-aluminized-steel-gt-2015-2017/p/RDHP1/

Will it actually hamper performance? Or is it about as restrictive as the stock resonator?
That's the one. No, other than the minor slag that's in the flow, the H-pipe will be basically like have 2 separate straight pipes. i.e. maximum flow. The question is how much sound benefit the tiny crossover holes provide. In theory, the H is supposed to balance the two exhaust paths and cancel a lot of the sound, deepening it in the process. My point is that with the small holes, the quietening benefit will be minimized, but the flow will not be harmed. Make sense?

Now that I've thought about it a bit, I'd still recommend this piece - it's the cheapest bolt-in I could find, but know that the sound benefit of the H crossover is mimimal. If the steeda one, for instance has a cleaner cut through, it might be the better buy although a bit more expensive. The stainless one CJPP sells might be manufactured differently as well, so that might be a worthy upgrade. Not having the benefit of examining these things in person, it's hard to say.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Tore into this thing today and definitely would not buy this part again. I hadn't noticed, but one of the welds didn't even go all the way around the pipe - this thing would have had a whistle of an exhaust leak. What a mess. Anyway, we split it in half, ported out the crossover then welded it back together. Spend a little more money and get a nicer one.

BTW, I weighed the H-pipe and the stock suitcase - the H with the clamps only saves *6* measly pounds over the suitcase, not the 15 advertised. As others have pointed out, the suitcase is straight through... looks like 2 glasspacks tied together.
DSCN2092.JPG
DSCN2093.JPG
DSCN2100.JPG
DSCN2103.JPG

Sponsored

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Sorry what do you mean the resonator is straight through. That means they're two separate pipes that don't actually connect? So this H-pipe won't actually be any worse?

I wonder if any of the other h pipes though are better than this, as I don't think many people have actually cut through the way you did.

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I eventually swapped my CJ pony parts H-Pipe out for another one. I cut the stock pipes badly when I pulled out the resonator and need a little more length on the h-pipe so I went with one from american muscle:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/search?keywords=h-pipe&page=1&Generation=2015-2017&Manufacturer=Heartthrob&VehicleType=Mustang

The welds are much better and the whole cross pipe has been drilled out on both sides. I can't speak to exhaust flow but the sound is good and the piece is definitely of better quality.

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
Wow. Can't believe how crappy that crossover is. I'm running one now and you've got me wondering if I should dump it for either a Lethal or MRT...

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
OMG!!! Put those pics on CJ's site under the customer reviews. That is ridiculous :eyebulge: I bet it will have a deeper sound now

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
OMG!!! Put those pics on CJ's site under the customer reviews. That is ridiculous :eyebulge: I bet it will have a deeper sound now
^^^^Winner!

Please do this to prevent others from making the same mistake.

Sponsored

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
When I saw this thread I was thinking what could be bad about the CJPP H-pipe as I have it and it's great! A great piece. But then I saw you got the aluminized steel version. I got their 304SS version. Yes it's more expensive, but I got it used here. It's a great piece though, and it is much lighter than the resonator. Picking up the resonator with one hand, you can tell it's heavy. But picking up CJ Pony parts 304SS one with one hand, it feels like rolled up cardboard. You can throw it in the air and catch it.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn I'm torn. The reviews are so good and I thought CJ was very reputable. How does it sound, have you put it on yet lugz?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My CJ was exactly like that one... roughly cut holes much smaller than the pipe. I got one when they were on sale (they aren't exactly expensive in the first place) and put it in myself with a borrowed sawzall, so even though I was sort of bothered by the crossover I couldn't really argue with the sound for the price.

I ended buying a replacement for the stock resonator that I threw out and paying a guy to weld it back in with the Rousch AB, which is way better sounding, but the CJ H pipe was still better than stock, although nasty raspy for a minute or so before it warmed up.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You got another resonator to replace the h pipe?!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.