Sponsored

Aircon stopped working

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Ruby Red
I have a similar story, 12 month dealer service back last December (2016) the day before the service I noticed the air con struggling, dealer inspected during service, was low on gas, recharged with gas with dye and couldn't find a leak. I put my car back in again yesterday as a/c was struggling again, dealer found leak, now all fixed and all good (touch wood :)) I didn't find out where the leak was as I was working and got my son to collect the Mustang, I will enquire Monday and ask where it was leaking.
Glad they found your leak. That would be great thanks. I'm certain mine is going to happen again. Pretty annoyed they didn't look harder, aircon is a closed system, there has to be a leak for it to be that low.
Sponsored

Nickosek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 - Race red - GT5.0 - Auto (AUS)
Well I think mine has well and truly gone. Drivers side is now just pumping out hot/warm air. Passenger side is only slightly cool. Definitely not cold. I'm worried this is going to take a long time to fix.. feel like Ford Aus will not be prepared for this problem yet or have any idea how Ford US has been fixing it. Going to try and get the dealer to read the US thread about it for ideas. Taking it in tomorrow to be looked at.
Seems my mustang developed this problem just this week. Was struggling for couple days, thought the whole system was down, but then realised that passenger side was still pretty cool whilst driver side was warm. Need to take it in this week to assess (deal with recall as well). :mad:

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had my car checked again after 6 weeks or so since he regassed it. I could tell it was already not as cold again and I could smell a distinct smell when I turned the car on. They came back today and confirmed it had lost gas again. They couldn't see the problem but confirmed it is likely the evaporator (like I told them on day 1!!).. grr... anyway they are ordering a new one and will be getting fixed when I get back from holidays at the end of May.

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
This has hit me too after around 8000kms. Just warm air blowing out and odd smells.

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has hit me too after around 8000kms. Just warm air blowing out and odd smells.
Try to force them to go straight to the evaporator when you take it in. It means they have to take out the whole dash but I can almost guarantee that will be the problem. And make sure they have parts in stock. Mine has to order them in.

Sponsored

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you guys find that when the a/c was working normally that the side (driver and passenger side) vents are really weak and nowhere as strong as the centre 3?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list.

:thumbdown:

Driver's side vents are pumping out slightly cool (but mostly warm) air on LO setting whilst the passenger side vents are blowing freezing air. The centre most vent on the dash is 50/50.

Curiously, the driver's seat is still cooling as well as it ever has.

Might hold off on getting this fixed for a while - not keen on having the dash pulled until they get a little more practice.

7600km and 14 months old.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
Try to force them to go straight to the evaporator when you take it in. It means they have to take out the whole dash but I can almost guarantee that will be the problem. And make sure they have parts in stock. Mine has to order them in.
It has been 2 months since they regassed mine and no problems. Took it back in last week to the dealer and they couldn't find a leak. They did say that other cars had the same problem, and their theory is that they had low gas from the factory. I'm just happy my dash didn't have to get ripped out. There is also still plenty of time left until the warranty ends for the problem to happen again - as I've had the car for less than a year.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
It has been 2 months since they regassed mine and no problems. Took it back in last week to the dealer and they couldn't find a leak. They did say that other cars had the same problem, and their theory is that they had low gas from the factory.
Here's hoping - yours seems to have lasted longer than most in the US sticky who have had this 'fix' applied.

I'm just happy my dash didn't have to get ripped out.
Yes, it really isn't something I'm looking forward to should it get to that.

attachment.jpg

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Sponsored

Gibbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Monaro CV8 '05 , Mustang GT 18 on order.
Here's hoping - yours seems to have lasted longer than most in the US sticky who have had this 'fix' applied.
Holy crap, this is freaking me out. This happens to all S550's???

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, this is freaking me out. This happens to all S550's???
No - it's probably a relatively small number percentage wise (enough, though, that two of the three sticky threads in the US "Issues" forum are dedicated to the issue).

There's definitely a pattern forming, though.

Theories as to the cause of the Evap failures:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64509

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to update this thread but yes my aircon has been fixed. They eventually got the replacement evaporator in then took 2 business days replacing it. Aircon has been working perfectly since then and no issues with the dash after being pulled out and put back in. If your aircon starts to die, push them hard to go straight for the evaporator. It's 99% likely to be the problem (not an actual stat but a very good chance!)

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
No - it's probably a relatively small number percentage wise (enough, though, that two of the three sticky threads in the US "Issues" forum are dedicated to the issue).

There's definitely a pattern forming, though.

Theories as to the cause of the Evap failures:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64509
This happened to me last week as well. Drove for 1 hour and the air was working fine. After being parked for 30 minutes, no aircon at all when I restarted the car.

No warning, no slow decline. Just went from all to nothing in the 30 minutes it was parked.

Took it straight to Peter Warrens and it was low gas but they couldn't find a leak. Re-gassed and good as new, but they have put the dye in so they can try and trace it.

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
GT Manual Deep Impact Blue
dealer reverse flushed the evaporator when I had same issue, talked about some black gunk they spotted although I think they were guessing by that point, this fixed the issue but I suspect that the ac had never been working properly and the hot spell at the time made it more apparent.
Sponsored