Sponsored

In 30 Years, When Our FOBs Are Dead, How Do We Get In?

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
It's a Mustang. I'm pretty sure 50 years from now you'll still be able to get tons of stuff for these cars. Might not be able to legally drive them outside of a closed course but you'll get your parts....
Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
When our key fobs are dead, assuming Ford won't make them any more, how do we get into our cars/start them?
I wouldn't doubt it if locksmiths or their industry hasn't been looking into this. This is old technology as far as tech goes. Capturing the frequency is easy. Creating an app is easy. Getting the list of digital codes associated with your car and the FOB might be the only hangup. The time and date may have a factor in code retrieval or it may reset or change codes every time you use it similar to chips in credit cards.

If all else fails contact Wikileaks....for a donation they could probably help. :-)

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
I'm with the OP on this one. When my Honda Civic was aged (I kept it to almost 20 years) and the factory alarm broke, Honda couldn't fix it any longer. Then my key fobs began to deteriorate... the plastic just doesn't last forever. Couldn't find any aftermarket parts at the time (couple years ago). In it's final years, I wound up locking and unlocking it with the key just like a 60s car. The Mustang would be far more inconvenient to do that with however.

The overwhelming automation/computerization of modern vehicles - in conjunction with the cultural change to be brought forth with self-driving vehicles - is I suspect going to make it very impractical to drive a contemporary car in 30 years from now the way we currently drive cars from the 60s and 70s.

All that being said, I do think modern cars are designed and built far better than any automobiles ever in history. In fact -- I'd say that they are grossly *over* designed for my taste.

'stangerza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP RR
I will let the small handful of owners at that time worry about that, can't see myself being one. But do update us in 2047 on how you solved this.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Meh...have garage AI analyze it and use your bench assembler to make one. Should be trivial. While you're at it have the garage-bot install a 1.21 gigawatt fusion reactor.

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
not sure if I will be alive in 30 years... I surely won't have the same car.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
How to get in and how to start your Mustang with a dead key fob battery.

[ame]

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
umm guys, the solution already exists...

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I will ressurrect this thread in 30 years and let you know how im getting in and starting my car.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Are the electrical systems in these cars EMP proof? I doubt we'll be able to use any modern car after our impending nuclear war.

Sponsored

'stangerza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP RR
Are the electrical systems in these cars EMP proof? I doubt we'll be able to use any modern car after our impending nuclear war.
No you wont 'cause the world will be toast. However in the zombie apocalypse that is also imminent the mustang will be awesome to drive down hundreds of them

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
No you wont 'cause the world will be toast. However in the zombie apocalypse that is also imminent the mustang will be awesome to drive down hundreds of them
Daryl should be driving a Mustang, not a bike. :headbang:

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm hoping in 30 yrs I should be able to start the car with nothing by my thoughts...

using apps/chip implants is old tech

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
New battery in the FOB? Rewire the car for a key ignition? Get in our self driving hybrid because driving is illegal?

I would like to keep my car forever, but I don't know if modern cars will last that long, they aren't built that well.
Really? Modern cars are MUCH better built than cars of the past. Not sure how old you are but in my youth a car making 100,000 mi was almost unheard of, today 100k cars are dime a dozen. Cars of the 70's and 80's were POS compared to today.

My son's '02 Ranger has 229k on it and the engine/transmission are still original and strong as ever.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I haven't read the whole thread but if I'm still driving this Mustang at 97 look forward finding a solution.

I'll probably just leave it unlocked and install magnaVolt:

[ame]

Maybe there will be some semi-universal aftermarket "popper" that can be installed behind the door panels of many cars. Or if enough of any model are still on the road to make it worth manufacturing, a replacement external door handle and regular size keys so you don't have to pop the factory cover off to use the original key that came in the fob.
Sponsored