Sponsored

CJPP H-pipe good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Also I thought all the h-pipes sound pretty much the same. Will the AM heartthrob actually sound better?
Sponsored

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
have you put it on yet lugz?
Not yet. We're doing a FRPP track pack install with steeda LRCA bearings, oh and a shaftmasters drive shaft too. :headbonk:Almost done with the suspension, so will be hopefully welding up the h-pipe to the stock system and trying it out later today.

BTW, I picked up a stock cat-back on craigslist for cheap, so I'm butchering that one and keeping my original cat-back in 1-piece in case the H turns out too loud, raspy, etc. Should sound pretty good being ported out properly.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I agree put the photos on CJ's site. Whatever company builds them should be ashamed. It would take all of 5 extra seconds per side to cut the hole bigger and round.

Last edited:

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
^^ thats the reason I had my Mishimoto h-pipe welded at the rear connection, no sagging, and no leaks, and while the Mishimoto may have been much more costly at $250, the quality is simply amazing!!!! especially compared to the rubbish looking piece from CJPP

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You got another resonator to replace the h pipe?!
Yup. When I went to the Roush mufflers, I didnt want it to be as loud as people say they are with H/X pipes, so back on went the factory resonator. No regrets except for the weight, and not doing the Roush in the first place.

So that H pipe is pretty sketchy, but the new CJ Magnaflow resonated X looks nice!

Sponsored

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
^^ thats the reason I had my Mishimoto h-pipe welded at the rear connection,
Interesting that the mishimoto has a small brace at the rear of the H pipe. We had finished welding up the CJPP H to the tail sections and I noticed how easy it was to move the rear section apart/together.

Anyway, got it all buttoned up and back on the ground tonight, but too late to fire it up yet... will know in the AM. :ford:

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Finally got to drive this thing today. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. All the effort to port out the H paid off. Sound is deep and muscular, with no more rasp than the factory setup. It's just a ------> <------ smidge louder until you get on it, and even then it's not obnoxious. No drone at any speed or throttle. It's what the car should have sounded like from the factory, IMO.

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Lugz do you have a sound clip of it now after you fixed it? I have same h pipe and removed it due to the odd sounding idle , sounded like fluttering out the tail pipes line a diesel truck lol and just sounded crappy with the mini race bullets so I put the stock resonator back on until I saw your post. Cut mine open today at work and the same shit. Opened it back up and I'm interested to see if it sounds any different .

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Lugz do you have a sound clip of it now after you fixed it?
Sorry, but I don't. There's definitely no flutter. It's very much like the stock sound but a little deeper and a little louder. Give it a shot. :ford:

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Finally got to drive this thing today. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. All the effort to port out the H paid off. Sound is deep and muscular, with no more rasp than the factory setup. It's just a ------> <------ smidge louder until you get on it, and even then it's not obnoxious. No drone at any speed or throttle. It's what the car should have sounded like from the factory, IMO.
This is still with the stock mufflers correct?

Sponsored

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
Lugz do you have a sound clip of it now after you fixed it? I have same h pipe and removed it due to the odd sounding idle , sounded like fluttering out the tail pipes line a diesel truck lol and just sounded crappy with the mini race bullets so I put the stock resonator back on until I saw your post. Cut mine open today at work and the same shit. Opened it back up and I'm interested to see if it sounds any different .
Curious on how yours turns out. Hopefully you try putting it back on. I love mine when I'm cruising, but at idle it sounds like a diesel truck. If it fixes it for you, in going to bust mine open as well and see if I can get a shop to fix it.

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
Sorry, but I don't. There's definitely no flutter. It's very much like the stock sound but a little deeper and a little louder. Give it a shot. :ford:
Dumb question, but what tool(s) did you use to bore out the port in the H?

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
This is still with the stock mufflers correct?
Yep, stock everything except the H, and that's welded in at the back so there's only the stock clamps from the cat pipes to the H.

We used an old head porting carbide bit (the tulip shaped one in the kit below) for most of the heavy cutting (chews through that mild steel like butter) then smoothed it out with the little sandpaper discs. Both on a 90 degree buzz tool. Don't remember for what project I had bought this stuff, but it's been in my toolbox for decade(s). Still handy.

http://www.eastwood.com/8pc-dual-cut-carbide-burr-set-1-4inch-shank.html
http://www.eastwood.com/engine-porting-kit.html

Ha, dug around a found a pic of the H-pipe from a borla cat-back I had on a G35 coupe a dozen years ago. It's not that much better than the CJPP, so I suspect the cheap CJPP pipe probably isn't that unusual, quality-wise.
DSCN4106.JPG
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.