Tell me which mustang is for me

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Grab a '17 GT with the Performance Package and be extremely happy.
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Screw the GT you should go GT350......:lol:eek:r wait for the GT500

Really you should ignore everyone here are get what you can afford for the type driving you will be doing.

My car is a DD in heavy traffic commute 70 miles round trip. Did a lot of research and picked V6 for better fuel affordability with good HP. Two years in and still enjoying my car. Best bang for my $$$$. In my neck of the woods premium is 60 cents more than regular. So, the few extra mpg per gallon in the EB is off set by the increase in price. Plus i keep my cars for 10+ years and didn't want to deal with a new turbo/engine combo.

During my commute there is no where that i would really need 435hp of the GT and 8k is a lot of to spend to hear an exhaust note.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Too bad that front end is so hideous. :lol:
Yeah, I think they did kind've butcher it. Ford kind've took a good thing and tried too hard to make it better, when it should've been left alone. I think my 2015 looks better than the 2018. The front of the 2018 makes it look like a cat, instead of a muscle car. The headlights are too sharp and the changes are too obvious as to be off putting. Still not a bad looking car but not as nice as the 2015-17s.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Screw the GT you should go GT350......:lol:eek:r wait for the GT500

Really you should ignore everyone here are get what you can afford for the type driving you will be doing.

My car is a DD in heavy traffic commute 70 miles round trip. Did a lot of research and picked V6 for better fuel affordability with good HP. Two years in and still enjoying my car. Best bang for my $$$$. In my neck of the woods premium is 60 cents more than regular. So, the few extra mpg per gallon in the EB is off set by the increase in price. Plus i keep my cars for 10+ years and didn't want to deal with a new turbo/engine combo.

During my commute there is no where that i would really need 435hp of the GT and 8k is a lot of to spend to hear an exhaust note.
Some of the V6's I've heard sound amazing!:ford:

Sponsored

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why F around? Get the Supersnake on the other thread

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
This is also my first American car and I always held off on buying Mustangs because I used to always hear that they were unreliable, broke down a lot, and heavy. After 2 years of having my V6, no issues at all, this thing has treated me well and I enjoy every drive I take except in the rain.
As far as you getting a V6 over the GT, I would say get the GT. There “literally” is nothing wrong with the V6, it has a great motor, it has decent power, it sound decent…but you will most likely regret not getting the GT which sucks because youll start thinking about trading it in and losing even more money, people will insult you for having a V6 also. Of course if you think you’d be content with having the V6 then by all means it’s a very great choice. I mean for 20k there is no better new car unless you want a civic or elantra. You wont find a new car for 20k that has 300hp and looks good. But if I were you I’d go for the GT.
Mine V6 is manual, it makes my car even more fun to drive IMO. The MT82 is clunky and is a rough transmission but it is a Mustang, it’s not supposed to be buttery smooth, I think that roughness adds to the character of the car.

But……what are you willing to pay? Lol.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Too bad you don't want to give the ecoboost a try. If you keep it stock you have the warranty if your worried about reliability. I really don't think they have the carbon deposit problems of some of the euro cars. I also came from Japanese and euro cars (g35 2003 and audi tts) I was certain I wanted the Gt. But my last cars had such good low end effortless torque that the ecoboost has. For me daily driving I love this low end solid pull. The Gt and the v6 like to rev. And when the gt does rev it really is great. I miss that with the ecoboost but just won't find myself having the daily condition to really enjoy the car. One concern is if you do test drive an ecoboost it needs to have 93 octane or it will feel quite sluggish. These are just personal options but really take your time and do multiple test drives. Best way to not have regrets.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you're new to sports cars and mainly drive in the city with no aspirations of running the car all that hard, the Ecoboost has a ton of torque down low, and good gas mileage. Otherwise, look at the V8 GTs.

If you want an auto, wait for the '18s for sure. The new 10-speed transmission sounds great.

If you want to spend a bit more for a nice suspension, wait for the '18s and get the magnaride option on a GT w/PP. We haven't got our hands on it yet, but it should be really cool.

If you want a bare bones manual transmission sports car, get a '17 GT base w/ PP and the recaro seats.

Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
I never owned american car. But I feel like it might be the time to get one. I also feel like Mustang might be the one to own. I like fun to drive cars, nicely made manual transmissions. I've owned jspaneese and european cars before. Did some autocrossing, but no tracking.

I rented current and previous gen mustangs (AT transmission) and thought they weren't bad, especially the last one. I know next to nothing about mustang ownership experience - how reliable they are and how difficult or easy they are to work on. I typically just pay dealers for repairs if the cost is reasonable, but DIY if it's doable and saves a lot. I prefer long term ownership.

I'm very suspicious to turbos and DI engines based on my previous experience (engine carbonization), so I can rule ecoboost out at least. How good/bad is V6 with mt? Or, should I go GT?

Isn't the last gen too computerized? I didn't like multiple driving and steering mode selections. Things like that might be prohibitively difficult to repair if go bad.

Mustang is not the only candidate, but pretty viable.
Get one like this. :) :cheers:
IMG_0599.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Too bad you don't want to give the ecoboost a try. If you keep it stock you have the warranty if your worried about reliability. I really don't think they have the carbon deposit problems of some of the euro cars. I also came from Japanese and euro cars (g35 2003 and audi tts) I was certain I wanted the Gt. But my last cars had such good low end effortless torque that the ecoboost has. For me daily driving I love this low end solid pull. The Gt and the v6 like to rev. And when the gt does rev it really is great. I miss that with the ecoboost but just won't find myself having the daily condition to really enjoy the car. One concern is if you do test drive an ecoboost it needs to have 93 octane or it will feel quite sluggish. These are just personal options but really take your time and do multiple test drives. Best way to not have regrets.
I gave DI chance with one of my previous cars and it had spent 2 weeks in service for engine decarbonization. So, no. No DI for me anymore.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I gave DI chance with one of my previous cars and it had spent 2 weeks in service for engine decarbonization. So, no. No DI for me anymore.
You're making a mistake going by your impression from a previous car. Modern D.I. Ecoboost engines are not your previous car.

It's like saying you won't buy a cell phone because the early ones were terrible. Technology marches on.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You're making a mistake going by your impression from a previous car. Modern D.I. Ecoboost engines are not your previous car.

It's like saying you won't buy a cell phone because the early ones were terrible. Technology marches on.
Well I learned the theory behind DI engines hard way. IMO, right now only Toyota has pretty clean solution to the problem. Also, I will make mistake by not learning ftom my prev. mistakes.