Sponsored

Clutch problems

masterfeli14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
So help me out here guys.

I have driven clutch for many years now and I have yet to come across this problem that the pictures have shown.

I was driving my car around with no signs of slippage or any kinds of problems with the clutch. I know the symptoms of clutch wear and none were present at all. I started the car just fine after I put gas on it. I get the car going just fine on the service road and up the ramp to the highway. I'm on the highway on 5th gear going about 60 mph getting ready to change gears to 6th. I push down on the clutch pedal and it just sticks to the floor. It doesn't come back up at all. So I manually pull it back with my feet to reset the clutch. I then tried pushing down on the clutch but it felt weak and would not go to any gear any more. I go to the side of the road and turn off the car and see if I could go into any gear with the engine off. It turns out I can so I knew something funny was going on with the clutch but didn't know what. Ford dealership pulled down the transmission and took pictures of the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate. That doesn't look like normal wear and tear of the clutch. That looks like someone was purposely riding the clutch at 6000 rpms.

Is this how normal wear of the clutch looks like? Because I have never seen normal wear this bad.
20170516_152742.jpg
20170516_152758.jpg
20170516_152803.jpg
20170516_152900.jpg
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That is so weird. I have seen this problem a couple of times.
I would get it fixed under warranty.

OP
OP

masterfeli14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
So this is how it basically went down.

3 days ago its in the shop: Service Rep "So we found clutch fibers in your clutch which means worn clutch and since Ford doesn't cover worn parts warranty won't be applied and it will be 1500 out of pocket" I argue with the fact that how do they even know its the clutch fault and ask how much it would cost to do a diagnosis.

2 days ago: Service rep calls back and tells me it will be 500 dollars to do the diagnosis. I get ford involved and open up a case with them to make sure they have everything documented as well. They tell me the only way we can find out what the problem is, is if they go ahead with the diagnosis. I authorize it.

Today: Service rep tells me its a worn clutch. I couldn't go see it in person so I request pictures to be sent to me. He tells me its worn so ford warranty will not cover it. I don't understand how driving normally would cause this much destruction to the clutch. Tomorrow I will talk to him in person but as of now he is not budging. Even called ford to see if they could do anything, and basically all they said was whatever the technician who diagnosed it says goes.

So this is where I am at right now. Ford will not warranty it.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
So this is how it basically went down.

3 days ago its in the shop: Service Rep "So we found clutch fibers in your clutch which means worn clutch and since Ford doesn't cover worn parts warranty won't be applied and it will be 1500 out of pocket" I argue with the fact that how do they even know its the clutch fault and ask how much it would cost to do a diagnosis.

2 days ago: Service rep calls back and tells me it will be 500 dollars to do the diagnosis. I get ford involved and open up a case with them to make sure they have everything documented as well. They tell me the only way we can find out what the problem is, is if they go ahead with the diagnosis. I authorize it.

Today: Service rep tells me its a worn clutch. I couldn't go see it in person so I request pictures to be sent to me. He tells me its worn so ford warranty will not cover it. I don't understand how driving normally would cause this much destruction to the clutch. Tomorrow I will talk to him in person but as of now he is not budging. Even called ford to see if they could do anything, and basically all they said was whatever the technician who diagnosed it says goes.

So this is where I am at right now. Ford will not warranty it.
How many miles do you have? I mean if a clutch failed in a couple of months like that, it's not wear. It SHUTTERED! Worn clutch would be thin in the clutch material and it's not thin.

OP
OP

masterfeli14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I have 16000 miles on my car but all of them are highway miles since I do a lot of traveling, so I rarely use the clutch.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I have 16000 miles on my car but all of them are highway miles since I do a lot of traveling, so I rarely use the clutch.
If you push hard maybe they will replace it under warranty?

OP
OP

masterfeli14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Here's to hoping that they will cover it.

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
my clutch looked exactly the same @ 10,000 miles
I was 1 day away from warranty expiring
It was all covered
my pedal fell to the floor on the highway and I ended up driving it to the dealer without using the clutch, new flywheel, clutch, and throw out bearing - about 2500$ all covered by warranty

don't rev the engine with the clutch pedal pushed in

f.y.i. it is a POS organic clutch

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think what happens is that the clutch slips, overheats, and then easily fails. Sometimes that is due to factory defect and sometimes the driver. Ford cannot easily tell which is which. So sometimes they are replaced under warranty, and sometimes not.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think what happens is that the clutch slips, overheats, and then easily fails. Sometimes that is due to factory defect and sometimes the driver. Ford cannot easily tell which is which. So sometimes they are replaced under warranty, and sometimes not.
It also depends on the dealer.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Imo i dont they will cover this,if the disc was not worn but fell apart u would havs a good case,but that disc is down to the rivets and the flywheel and pressure plate have serious hot spots.My car was drag raced,ALOT!!!,and my clutch didnt look that bad and it was slipping bad.Im not saying u raced the car,i just dont think they will cover it with the clutch looking like that.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It says right in your manual wear items are 12/12...you're at 16k so you better right a check as Ford has it's bases covered here.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Welcome to Ford's shitty clutch. At least you were close to home, mine let go on a road course in Washington State, I am from Canada. Same thing, everything went from perfectly normal to catastrophic failure, no warnings at all. No clutch wears like this at all. This is a part failure

I installed a McLeod RST clutch, screw that Ford POS.

Here was mine.
image1.jpg
Sponsored