Sponsored

rattle in center console (not shifter)

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Hi all,

my 15 mustang just started rattling around the center console box storage compartment area, on what sounds to be the right side. I've pushed and held my hand against most of the area to try and see if it was one of the exterior panels, and it doesn't seem to be. Anyone had something similar? I don't really want to pull the center console to try and put flocking tape around areas that may squeak, but it'll probably be what I end up doing. That resolved all my rattles in the dash so far. And no, it's not the shifter, and i've taken everything out of the storage compartment to ensure it wasn't that.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Rattle like metal on metal or plastic on plastic?

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Mine occasionally does this too, not sure what it is. In my case, it's definitely a plastic on plastic sound.

OP
OP

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely plastic on plastic. I can't really tell if it's coming from the cup holder area, or somewhere within the center console. I was curious if anyone had anything similar. So far I've gotten rid of all my rattles, except one near the back deck on the passenger side with flocking tape. It works great for most things and is thin enough it doesn't interfere with the fit.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Well cool, if you figure out what this is, please post up. It's the only rattle in the car that bugs me. My vent rattles on occasion, but touching it generally solves that issue. The rest of the time I'm listening to all the car seat rattles (of which there are many) so unless the rattle from the car is right near me (like the center console or that vent) I don't pay much attention to it.

Sponsored

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
Hi all,

my 15 mustang just started rattling around the center console box storage compartment area, on what sounds to be the right side. I've pushed and held my hand against most of the area to try and see if it was one of the exterior panels, and it doesn't seem to be. Anyone had something similar? I don't really want to pull the center console to try and put flocking tape around areas that may squeak, but it'll probably be what I end up doing. That resolved all my rattles in the dash so far. And no, it's not the shifter, and i've taken everything out of the storage compartment to ensure it wasn't that.
hi chad. could you explain about the tape for correcting rattles? thanks, tom

OP
OP

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hi chad. could you explain about the tape for correcting rattles? thanks, tom
Sure, flocking tape is basically really thin felt with an adhesive backing. You can find it at some craft stores, but I couldn't. I ended up ordering it off of findtape.com

Here's what I ordered:
https://www.findtape.com/JVCC-FLOCK-1-Flocking-Tape/p842/?idx=0&tid=0

If you can find it on Amazon it will be cheaper because shipping is about 8 bucks. It's worth it to me though because my headlight switch and the center pp gauges rattled a lot. I took the dash panels off (very easy and quick to do) and put the tape where the two pieces would touch. I made sure I wouldn't see the tape when putting it back on and that has killed my rattles so far. It kills the plastic on plastic rattle the pieces get by giving it a layer of soft insulation that soaks up the vibrations.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I have the same rattle. It started up a few months after installing my MGW shifter. I noticed that it only starts up if I've been on the road for a while allowing my center console to get warm. The frustrating part is that I can't quite isolate exactly where it is coming from within the console. No matter how hard I press or pull in the general area I can't make it stop completely, but I can mute the sound. It only does it when cruising in 6th on the freeway. I have planned on removing the console again to check things out. I'm not sure if it's a wire connection vibrating against the console or what.

Where exactly do you place the flocking tape? Are you using it to try and fill gaps?

OP
OP

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Generally you put the tape where two parts meet. It keeps the plastic on plastic cream and rattle from happening.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have the same rattle. It started up a few months after installing my MGW shifter. I noticed that it only starts up if I've been on the road for a while allowing my center console to get warm. The frustrating part is that I can't quite isolate exactly where it is coming from within the console. No matter how hard I press or pull in the general area I can't make it stop completely, but I can mute the sound. It only does it when cruising in 6th on the freeway. I have planned on removing the console again to check things out. I'm not sure if it's a wire connection vibrating against the console or what.

Where exactly do you place the flocking tape? Are you using it to try and fill gaps?
Same here. Center console. Only started recently, about 16k miles. Rattles on certain rough roads with the right "frequency" of roughness.

I removed the bezel around the headlight switch and used flocking tape. But it is rattling again. I even put tape over the clips themselves. I think it may be the bezel buzzing against the dash.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put some where the bezel meets the dash too. Just far enough where you can't see it looking at the bezel. That's probably where the rattle is coming from :/ I haven't heard the rattle in the center console in a while. Chalking it up to random noises I guess.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I put some where the bezel meets the dash too. Just far enough where you can't see it looking at the bezel. That's probably where the rattle is coming from :/ I haven't heard the rattle in the center console in a while. Chalking it up to random noises I guess.
Thanks. I hope to try that very soon.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I have a buzz in the radio area at around 2000-3000 rpm. My exhaust is fucking loud.
Also a plastic on plastic rattle above the center vents.