Sponsored

Is there too soon a time to tune?

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Cat back exhaust 83 miles on odometer, steeda no tune intake 475 miles on odometer. Dyno tune 1,100 miles on odometer..... gt350 manifold, 47 lb injectors and another tune for e85 2250 miles. Go for it man ,these motors are really strong and durable youd know by 1000 miles if anothing was bad with motor or tranny . Besides if you keep it mostly stock you have ability to flash back stock tune... just no running nitrous lol
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 44,000 miles. Will be tuning for the first time next week :)

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
What good will that do? It's not like you'll be able to hide the fact it was tuned.
100% the dealer cannot tell if it was tuned , if the motor blew from nitrous or no oil in it which would probably be the only 2 ways to blow the motor / minus letting a beginner tune your car then the dealer may take out your ECU and send it to Michigan to have it read at ford headquarters. The dealer cannot themself tell if it was tuned , I work with a mechanic who worked for a ford dealer for a few years. He said no they couldn't tell it was tuned. only if they have 100% visible proof a modification or tune did it they cannot deny your warranty anyhow. magnison / moss warranty act protects you against that. Just go to your ford dealer you bought it from and they 99.9% of the time will help you after all you are paying their salary

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
^^^^ :lol:

If you believe a dealer can't tell if a car has been tuned, you're sadly mistaken. There are written procedures for doing so.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
100% the dealer cannot tell if it was tuned , if the motor blew from nitrous or no oil in it which would probably be the only 2 ways to blow the motor / minus letting a beginner tune your car then the dealer may take out your ECU and send it to Michigan to have it read at ford headquarters. The dealer cannot themself tell if it was tuned , I work with a mechanic who worked for a ford dealer for a few years. He said no they couldn't tell it was tuned. only if they have 100% visible proof a modification or tune did it they cannot deny your warranty anyhow. magnison / moss warranty act protects you against that. Just go to your ford dealer you bought it from and they 99.9% of the time will help you after all you are paying their salary
Sorry but you're dead wrong. The PCM has a flash counter and it'll display the software flashed. If you tune, be prepared for any failure of the powertrain to be on you. The likelihood of the coyote failing on an NA tune is quite remote, particularly from any of the reputable tuners who know the protection strategies and are simply taking advantage of the areas where Ford cannot for emissions reasons.

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
There are dealerships like Lebanon Ford that sell these cars brand new with supercharger kits already installed on them. A tune from a reputable shop won't do it any harm.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
So, so much fail here. The dealer will find evidence of a tune if not a field engineer.

And we all know the MM act doesn't apply to changing parameters in a computer.

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
So, so much fail here. The dealer will find evidence of a tune if not a field engineer.

And we all know the MM act doesn't apply to changing parameters in a computer.
Major fail here... this info wasn't from me it was from someone who worked for ford.. you cannot tell at the dealership it was tuned. Also the MM act does apply to tunes too because if your radio brakes or electrical fails they can't deny warranty on anything of that sort. They can't even deny warranty technically on a transmission failure , has nothing to do with PCM . They have to prove it was caused by the tune that's if they find out it was tuned

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Major fail here... this info wasn't from me it was from someone who worked for ford.. you cannot tell at the dealership it was tuned. Also the MM act does apply to tunes too because if your radio brakes or electrical fails they can't deny warranty on anything of that sort. They can't even deny warranty technically on a transmission failure , has nothing to do with PCM . They have to prove it was caused by the tune that's if they find out it was tuned
If you failed a transmission, and you're making more power than stock, or say changed shift strategy or firmness on an auto, they could absolutely deny warranty on the transmission and would win. The dealership definitely can tell if you are tuned. All they have to do is run diagnostics via OBD II. No, they won't deny warranty on completely unrelated components because you're tuned, but anything in the engine or downstream in the driveline is suspect to being denied.

Former Ford powertrain engineer here.

Sponsored

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
I have less than 1000 miles on my car. I have all the mods below already installed and been driving for 500 miles. Suspension (springs/shocks/struts/sway bar/links), cat back exhaust, tune, intake. all done.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I hate to burst your bubble, but your pal was WRONG. You might just want to accept that and drop it :doh:

Last edited:

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I work for Ford and I can see it by using a Ford IDS tool.;)

And yes they can deny warranty. Happens all the time.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I waited till 5-6k to start doing warranty-voiding mods.

I figured if something was going to break because it was bad from the factory, it probably would have by then. I also drove it hard and dyno'ed it a day or two before doing my first big mod (OPG/CG/ATI).

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I work for Ford and I can see it by using a Ford IDS tool.;)

And yes they can deny warranty. Happens all the time.
Does IDS show the flash count, or just the DTC that appears when you flash?
Sponsored