Sponsored

Krona Cat-Back Review

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
That's what I wanted to hear thanx brother.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'll say this... once I put headers on it, I noticed that the crackles on slow-speed decel from having just the catback (and there are lots) became less crackle and more low gurgle after the headers. It has a very boomy sound now that I have headers on but it isn't obnoxious and is very much aimed out the back end. My favorite thing to do is cruise between buildings and let the car decel on its own so it lets out those grumbly pops. Krona is fantastic because it keeps a lot of the exhaust sound behind the car and doesn't let it translate up into the cabin. Which is why it sounds so different once you're behind the car listening to someone else drive it.

So, does the cabin boom? No. Does the exhaust boom in general? Yes. More so with headers. All in all it hits the tone on the money.
These are the attributes I love about Corsa's systems. Glad to know there's an option for people who want a deeper tone but don't want to sacrifice the aspects of no interior boom/exhaust note from the back, not filling out the cabin. Well done Krona.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I literally signed up just to thank Brostang and triggered for this thread. I've been kicking around the Krona kit for sometime after finding AMs video on it. $1300 is a lot to spend based on their video. My major concerns are in cabin drone and power changes, if any, from this kit. So big props for the review, I'm definitely now getting this.

Blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT basic w/pp pkg
Great review
Describes the Krona exhaust perfectly. Deep, old school muscle car tone below 3k,
announces it intentions in the mid range, 3k to 5k, and gets loud at the top when you stay on it. Cold starts were throaty and loud when the system was first installed. Not quite as loud after a few hundred miles, but still throaty. Warm starts are pure muscle.
Really sounds badass.
I was looking for a system with a resonator. A system I could grow into and not grow out of because of future upgrades. Something I could live with everyday. Was considering Borla, Magnaflow, and others. Borla sounds good in the vids and is popular, but comparing fit, finish, quality, installation, growth potential, price, and customer service (Matt at Krona is a good guy), I decided to take a chance on the Krona, So glad I did, this is a really good system. And so controllable. I think that's my favorite part about it, making it pop or wale when I want.
If you on the fence, as I was, and looking for a system you can grow into and not out of, the Krona will not disappoint. Waiting on their headers, available soon.

OP
OP
Brostang

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
I'm glad you found the thread helpful! Good point about growth potential. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy headers, but I wouldn't be afraid to install them with this exhaust.

Sponsored

Stangl1fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Confirming this exhaust is great

I installed my Krona Catback about two weeks ago and it is just phenomenal. I have had Corsa Extreme Catback on my 2015 a couple years back and this is just a better system. The fit and finish are even better than Corsa, totally brushed stainless with seamless mufflers.

The sound is like if the Extremes met the GT500 mufflers and had a baby.

Best deep sounding tone on the market without that ricer rasp and no drone.

My one issue is that American Muscle rated this a 3/5 on volume and that is just wrong. These are EVERY bit as loud as my Extremes, just a cleaner deeper tone.

I just added longtubes a couple days ago and unfortunately it is exceeding what I can get away with being that my neighbor is the head of our H.O.A. Got my first love note from the neighbor 3 days ago. Going to be selling these as it's not worth the battle with my HOA( or removing the longtubes and tune) and replacing with a mild touring series. Check the classifieds Saturday I should be able to get pictures loaded up.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
No black tip option......?

Stangl1fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I don't work for them so can't say for certain, but there is no option for black tip when I ordered from AM

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Great review
Describes the Krona exhaust perfectly. Deep, old school muscle car tone below 3k,
announces it intentions in the mid range, 3k to 5k, and gets loud at the top when you stay on it. Cold starts were throaty and loud when the system was first installed. Not quite as loud after a few hundred miles, but still throaty. Warm starts are pure muscle.
Really sounds badass.
I was looking for a system with a resonator. A system I could grow into and not grow out of because of future upgrades. Something I could live with everyday. Was considering Borla, Magnaflow, and others. Borla sounds good in the vids and is popular, but comparing fit, finish, quality, installation, growth potential, price, and customer service (Matt at Krona is a good guy), I decided to take a chance on the Krona, So glad I did, this is a really good system. And so controllable. I think that's my favorite part about it, making it pop or wale when I want.
If you on the fence, as I was, and looking for a system you can grow into and not out of, the Krona will not disappoint. Waiting on their headers, available soon.
Eager to hear your impressions of the headers. depending on budgets I'll most likely be picking these up on black friday headers and catback together. More than likely going to be black friday of 2018 though lol.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Does this mount to the standard cat back location? it seems like it might be further back

Sponsored

Blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT basic w/pp pkg
The system mounts to the standard cat back locations, very easy to install.
I agree with stang 1fe this is a 4 out of 5 loudness system at least, not the 3/5
that American Muscle suggest.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
The system mounts to the standard cat back locations, very easy to install.
I agree with stang 1fe this is a 4 out of 5 loudness system at least, not the 3/5
that American Muscle suggest.
I keep wanting to pull the trigger but the money has been tight as im waiting for work to reimburse me on some things.

How is it in cabin after putting a few miles on it? still as tame as others say it is?

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I installed the Krona kit yesterday and here is my detailed experience from start to finish.
Purchase and arrival:
I purchased the Krona 3 inch kit from American Muscle. When it arrived one of the exhaust tips was scratched. While it wasn't the end of the world, it was unfortunately right next to the Krona logo. I contracted AM customer service who were polite, respectful, and easy to deal with. They gave me three options: Full kit replacement, partial credit (keep the tip), or full return (just send the kit back). I'm no slouch working with metal, so I wanted the partial credit and I would fix the tip myself. So I contacted Matt Printz, owner of Krona, and asked him how much a single tip costs so I could determine if American Muscle's credit value was fair. Well Matt told me to ship the tip directly to Krona and they would fix everything at not cost to me. So I did exactly that. Matt didn't have to do that for AM and I, but he did which gives you an idea of the kind of company Krona is. I got the tip back and all was good.
Install:
The install took 2 hours and that was with BSing around with friends who came to help. It was a casual easy install. I will say however, check those clamps several times after getting the system up to operating temperature. The clamp bolts come pre-coated with what appear to be loctite, however I have tightened mine several times since putting about 60 miles on it yesterday and today.
Exterior Sound:
I'll say the videos on Youtube of the kit are mostly accurate, however no video I've seen captures the true tone of the Krona. I mean, they all come really close, but in person you can tell there's a couple frequencies the kit produces which mics seem to have a hard time picking up. This tone is what makes the Krona really special. It's deep, meaty, juicy, and full of body - it's so tangible you feel like you can touch it. It's really special in that regard. It's not just noise, there's a lot more going on and it's all good! It also has ZERO RASP! I cannot stand the tinny rasp most Mustang catback kits seem to produce, to me it sounds like nails on a chalkboard, but that's just me I'm sure the owners enjoy them just fine. It's certainly loud, but I agree with AM's review of "strong 3 out of 5". That said it's REALLY easy to modulate the sound so you're virtually silent while leaving the neighborhood (if you like your neighbors). I went by my neighbor's place a dozen times this weekend, keeping it below 2k RPM, and he said he never heard me.
Interior Sound:
To me, interior sound is really nice. It's quiet enough under normal cruising that I completely forget about it. At 55mph in 6th gear I cannot hear any exhaust what-so-ever. Cruising at 75mph you can hear it, but that's about it - simply yeah it's a little audible. I do have drone at exactly 70mph, which I am hoping subsides over time, but it's also not like any road in my State has a 70mph speed limit either, so I'm not worried. The tone of the kit with the windows rolled up dies a little, but it's the nature of the beast of having rear-mounted mufflers. Keep in mind as sound travels higher tones are cancelled easier than lower tones (why you can hear bass inside your house easier than higher frequencies). So the whole tone of the kit will sort of revert to a bassy tonal feel with windows up. It's still great, just wanted to give an idea of what windows up cruising sounds like.
Performance:
I honestly did not believe this kit would give any sort of noticeable performance. I've seen the dyno results, but I'm a skeptic. I was honestly surprised by the Krona, I can actually tell a difference in the top end. I live at 6,000 ft above sea level and my car absolutely dies above 6k RPM, although it does better at lower altitudes obviously. However, with the Krona HP and torque don't drop off as bad after 6k, which was totally unexpected to me, but I'm not complaining!
Conclusion:
Like I said, I have about 60 miles on this kit so far, and every one of those I was grinning like an idiot. My experience with AM was pleasant and I would easily purchase from them again. My experience with Matt from Krona was great, he is really a stand-up guy. If you made it through this whole review but are still unsure, then think about the following. If you like the video clips, won't mind a more audible (not loud) exhaust in-car, and won't mind keeping your foot out of it around the neighborhood then I say pull the trigger. However, if you're not ready to hear your exhaust at 75mph or think that might get on your nerves (trust me it's really not bad); if you think you shouldn't have to *****foot it around the neighborhood, then I recommend a quieter kit. Also if you enjoy rasp, well the kit has none, so I would look for something else. So as a quiet guy, who likes his neighbors, and doesn't showboat, enjoys cars with great tone, I am really happy with the kit so far. I hope this review helps someone.

Last edited:

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Finally placed my order. Should be here by the end of the month. Cant wait.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Finally placed my order. Should be here by the end of the month. Cant wait.
Congrats! I'm so giddy to drive my car just to and from work with the kit, that's how much I like it. I hope you find it as enjoyable. Just a heads up I still have 70mph drone - not sure about anyone else, but honestly I'm so used to the kit now I find myself inducing it so I can hear it more haha.
Sponsored