Sponsored

Rear Creak

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I searched and found some similar topics but those occurred in other ways. I have a creak that seems to be coming from the rear and I can only hear it with the windows down. When driving and I give it gas or take my foot off the gas there is a creak. Once you press down the gas pedal and the initial creak happens it will not happen again unless I let off the gas and then it creaks again. It also creaks a lot worse when slowing down and coming to a complete stop, maybe a couple of mph to 0 it creaks very loudly. Does not happen when turning.

Suspension is stock though I have bigger rims and tires but I have had those installed for over a year and 12k+ miles while the noise only started occurring a few hundred miles ago. I was hoping to solve the issue without going to the dealer but I might just take it in if the problem can not be found before hand.

Thank you!
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
What is the torque spec on those retainers? I have had problems with mine, too.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Torque spec is in the thread linked above

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Thank you for the link.

To add I have the auto. I spent some more time yesterday with the car and it makes the creaking noise when going from N to R or D when stopped. You also hear it sometimes when you go from a stop. Since it is making these noises only at these times I am thinking drivetrain. I am just going to take it to Ford in the next couple of weeks but any leads would help save time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Alright I was just going to take it in anyways since it is under warranty but I will alert them to this issue. Is it possible to check yourself by just taking off the wheel?

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
its the spindle nut, many people have had this exact problem
This, or wheel bearing. See linked video to check wheel bearing. It could also be a lot of other things, but these two seem to be pretty common for symptoms you describe.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ARB57Zfsw1g[/MEDIA]"]

Video for replacing rear wheel bearings:
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]TQMVND3hLPc[/MEDIA]"]

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Some of these wheel bearings are going out with not many miles on them ... crappy quality stuff it seems.

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Some of these wheel bearings are going out with not many miles on them ... crappy quality stuff it seems.
Agreed. I've been pretty lucky with my car so far and haven't had any of the common issues people report. My one wheel bearing with play is pretty slight right now, but I imagine it will only get worse. I noticed that as I rotate the wheel, the play is more noticeable at some points than others. Thanks for the tip that I can get the part under warranty and have the work done by someone other than dealer (me).

Maybe Ford or the aftermarket will come out with a better replacement part soon.

Sponsored

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
Damn, i doubt this is the source of my creaking. I really want it to be because the creaking is driving me insane. My creaking is easily heard inside of the car from the right rear, sounds like metal on metal, sounds like an old rusty truck going over bumps. Super disappointed because the car only has 2000 miles on it and this creaking started about 3 weeks ago and it seems to be getting louder. Im definitely going to take it into the dealer but i dread having those guys do work on my car.

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Damn, i doubt this is the source of my creaking. I really want it to be because the creaking is driving me insane. My creaking is easily heard inside of the car from the right rear, sounds like metal on metal, sounds like an old rusty truck going over bumps. Super disappointed because the car only has 2000 miles on it and this creaking started about 3 weeks ago and it seems to be getting louder. Im definitely going to take it into the dealer but i dread having those guys do work on my car.
I know the feeling haha I am taking mine in Thursday myself. Hopefully it is just the nut which is what it seems to be in my case.

The cabin is pretty damn good at keeping sound out it must be super loud. Would be a pain looking for it. I had the back of my car stripped clean looking for rattles which I still have to this day even after adding a ton of foam and cutting a lot of the plastic clips off the metal over several months.

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Dropped my car off this morning and they are keeping it until at least Friday. Got a 2017 Escape rental has good power but makes no sound :(

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
have you found the problem? sounds like my problem i think it might be the stock shock mounts for me

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
have you found the problem? sounds like my problem i think it might be the stock shock mounts for me
Not yet hoping to hear something Friday....does not seem to be the nut though.
Sponsored