Sponsored

Octane???

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
So, I have read that the car in stock form is going to get the most ponies on 93 octane and using any higher octane is a waste with out a tune. Then I have read the thread about the 91 vs 98 octane and the gains that were had but was this because it was 91 base line and not 93?
Does anyone have proof one way or another if a non-tuned car will produced more HP with 103 octane using a octane booster added to 93 like the product pictured as compared to using 93?
In Texas 93 is the supreme level gas at most stations.
The bottle pictured costs $22 plus tax and is 32 ounces. Mixed with 10 gallons of 93 it will yield 10 gallon of 103.
16 ounces with 10 gallons of 93 yields 10 gallons of 98.
Octane.jpg
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
you may want to google "torco accelerator test" to see the varied results people seem to experience

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I watch knock religiously through my SCT Tuner because of my Procharger. I only use 93 octane even though my tune is only for 91 octane. I can still see knock on 93 depending where I get it. Not all 93 is the same, as many here in Texas in the petroleum industry will tell you. I use Torco if I see any knock under boost and it takes care of it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Lots of 03-04 Cobra guys use this with good success, and I've seen other instances of boosted applications making good use of this.

For an NA application I wouldn't necessarily expect huge gains like those guys, but it's mostly used for protection from high heat and bad gas. I always toss in half a bottle before any event I go to and my engine is 100% stock. 10 bux is well worth the expense for more protection especially when racing. I wouldn't bother with this on the street.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Google the following: "GT350 dyno results - 98 octane versus 91 octane"

There you will find a dyno comparison. And....I would not rely on Torco to get 103 octane. A more realistic number is about 5 points for 10 gallons fuel mixed with a 32 oz can. And.....you will get a rust colored hue on your spark plugs and exhaust pipes. In my experience on other supercharged cars this did not have a negative effect on the motor in any way.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I read the 98 vs 91 thread as stated in my original post. Again, 98 vs 91 showed some HP increase but the baseline was 91. Will the ECU continue to adjust for higher than 93 or was this the car adjusting from 91 to the highest it is set for, 93? That is what I would like to know. I fell confident that 98 over 93 will show some HP gain based on what a lot of others have posted. Just curious to see any real numbers out there for a 93 vs 98 or higher test with no tune.

Last edited:

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The noted gains from 91 to 98 in that dyno graph exceed what we see from 93 alone. So yes, you will see more gain from higher octane than 93. The knock sensors will allow for greater spark advance with higher than 93 octane to make more power, but there is a ceiling and a I suspect 98 is very close to that ceiling.

Going with higher octane fuel is the easiest and most simple way to make more power. Same car, same dyno, same day, the difference between 91 and 93 is more marginal than significant. I would call the results of the 91-98 significant enough to take notice. That said, I do think a 93 versus 98 comparison would be interesting to see and document.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found a reputable shop here in Houston with some proven custom tune/dyno success. I added 32 ounces of Torco to 14.5 gallons of Shell 93 today. I am going to run this tank and then another with the same ratio and go dyno the car near the end of the second tank. Then I am going to run 93 for two tanks and go back. I should have some real numbers to compare. Looking at the Torco mixing instructions my best guess on actual octane with the 32 ounces and basically 16 gallons of 93 is likely around 98-99. But as pointed out above, that is based on their claims of octane levels so who knows what it really is. Regardless, it should be higher than 93.

I am not getting the car tuned, just doing some pulls to she where she is actually at and if the Torco makes any difference just for grins.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I found a reputable shop here in Houston with some proven custom tune/dyno success. I added 32 ounces of Torco to 14.5 gallons of Shell 93 today. I am going to run this tank and then another with the same ratio and go dyno the car near the end of the second tank. Then I am going to run 93 for two tanks and go back. I should have some real numbers to compare. Looking at the Torco mixing instructions my best guess on actual octane with the 32 ounces and basically 16 gallons of 93 is likely around 98-99. But as pointed out above, that is based on their claims of octane levels so who knows what it really is. Regardless, it should be higher than 93.

I am not getting the car tuned, just doing some pulls to she where she is actually at and if the Torco makes any difference just for grins.
I live in Vegas and use a couple of gallons of 100octane mixed with 91 or a 1/2 can of Torco in the summer months to prevent the ECU from pulling timing I don't think it gains much actual power but the drive-abilty is certainly better. My opinion is there maybe a slight gain in power but I think its main advantage is that you wont lose as much power in the hotter months.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Vegas and use a couple of gallons of 100octane mixed with 91 or a 1/2 can of Torco in the summer months to prevent the ECU from pulling timing I don't think it gains much actual power but the drive-abilty is certainly better. My opinion is there maybe a slight gain in power but I think its main advantage is that you wont lose as much power in the hotter months.
Thanks for the insight. We get hot here but not like there. We do have crazy humidity to go along with the heat though.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350

Very cool that you will be doing this test. I'm anxious to see the results. Thanks for taking this on and sharing the outcome.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
While doing the above-referenced search I came across this quote from Jamal Hameedi:

"The 5.2L engine was designed for 93-octane fuel, but will run on 87 octane with only a 15hp decrease in peak power."

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While doing the above-referenced search I came across this quote from Jamal Hameedi:

"The 5.2L engine was designed for 93-octane fuel, but will run on 87 octane with only a 15hp decrease in peak power."
So does the science work that higher than 93 will produce more HP or is the factory tune limited/maximized for 93. Thus my curiosity and what's $190 for two separate dyno days?
Hopefully I will be doing one dyno Friday and the next one a week from Monday.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I think 91 vs 98 dyno thread showed the knock sensor will allow spark advance to extend beyond what 93 will allow, and I expect your results will validate that. My guess is 10-15 rwhp. It will be interesting to see.
Sponsored