Knock on Drivers Side at Low Speed

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I have been trying to keep tabs on this, because...well...

Anyway, a thought occurred to me. If I were trying to diagnose the source of this noise, one of the first things I'd do is put the car on a 2-post hoist with a person inside and see if the sound could be replicated when the car is not in motion. If the driver can spin the steering wheel L & R and the sound is happening...that would be extremely revealing, because:

1) it would 99.5% eliminate a loose item (such as a socket) rolling back & forth inside a framing member as a result of centrifugal force.
2) it would eliminate twisted and/or loaded suspension components, because the weight of the car is not sitting on the wheels/suspension and anti-sway bars.
3) it would -- or it should -- allow a man to get his ear nice & close to the origin of the sound in order to localize it.
4) (depending upon how the first three steps unfold) it would allow for a five-foot jack stand to be placed beneath one wheel (or one corner of the car) at a time...and then the car could be lowered slightly to load up that wheel (or corner) with weight and then repeat the experiment.

Perhaps some of this has been done, but I'm just sharing some ideas here.
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I applaud you for being fair & respectful in your public posts. Despite the very understandable frustration you are experiencing, you are not shooting off your mouth or exaggerating the story to tilt it in your favor.

:thumbsup:

Of course it is not yet possible to guess how this will turn out, but the journey itself is informative for everyone that is following it. Small consolation, I know, but when it's over and you can say "Now I am satisfied" you will have no regrets and no souring of your relationship with the dealer that is working on your issue.

And thank you for keeping the thread updated! While we are not exactly marching back & forth carrying signs on your behalf...some of us are nevertheless watching and contemplating your situation.

:cheers:

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
I applaud you for being fair & respectful in your public posts. Despite the very understandable frustration you are experiencing, you are not shooting off your mouth or exaggerating the story to tilt it in your favor.

Of course it is not yet possible to guess how this will turn out, but the journey itself is informative for everyone that is following it. Small consolation, I know, but when it's over and you can say "Now I am satisfied" you will have no regrets and no souring of your relationship with the dealer that is working on your issue.

And thank you for keeping the thread updated! While we are not exactly marching back & forth carrying signs on your behalf...some of us are nevertheless watching and contemplating your situation.

:cheers:
And this, my friends, is a class act. :cheers:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for the kind words.

CSM called later today to inform me the Field Engineer in tandum with the Regional Service Manager have reached out to the Damage Ability Collision Repair Engineer at Ford to provide a procedure to repair a seam in the floor at my feet of my car! Bad weld. This is based on diagnostics to date. Nothing has been visually identified however. I knew it was going in this direction.

I indicated to the CSM I needed to be informed on exactly what the procedure is if presented and at that point I will determine if I want to stop or proceed. If I stop I told her I would be going through CAMVAP...... (although other avenues may need to be explored now). I also mentioned this would be an opportunity with a recommendation for a repair regardless and definitely if it is not recommended to repair (she said this maybe possible) for Ford of Canada to make the offer to move me into a new car. She said on the not recommended for repair option this is already under review.
She understood my point to provide me with an option to move to a new car or proceed with the repair option too understanding this unique warranty case. She said she would get some numbers together.

I believe they truly are trying to work within my timeline now. She said this is a priority for Ford and she will get back to me likely tomorrow or Friday with an update. I told her at the end of the day I just want to feel good about what happens whatever it is. She understood. My biggest concern is I think they maybe chasing something they are assuming is there and how far will they have to go to find it, it may require major disassembly / reassembly and what does this mean for the rest of the body/frame integrity ie are there other problem spots? Lastly why would this be there in the first place? I have left the CSM with these questions.

This was not discussed but if I keep the car I will need them to provide me with a no cost extended warranty.

Like a lot of my posts....stay tuned.

This is interesting. I wonder how a bad weld or bad seam would actually create a knocking sound?

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
A panel is flexing under loads of a certain direction and amplitude...and the weak or non-welded seam is allowing movement that would otherwise not occur. IF indeed there is a flawed or incomplete/missed weld.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Zounds! What's that I see?!

Why - I do believe it's a light at the end of the tunnel!

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Unfortunately - and this is hard for "ordinary" folks to accept - the carmakers would rather solve the problem by spending $1,377 on a repair (and perhaps another $2,110 on a *second* repair) than replace the whole car. They seem blissfully ignorant of the negative customer satisfaction ramifications!

That said, try your best to get some before & after pics. Maybe see if you can visit the car in the specialized facility and/or speak to the shop foreman there.

It's impossible to predict how this'll turn out; it might be that it will be fine...or the problem may remain. If the former - count on it being your car til you sell it. If the latter, I'd push HARD for a replacement ASAP. And a roughly-comparable loaner until the new 'stang arrives.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Damn finally, glad to hear you'll be back in your car relatively soon!

Was there any visible areas of concern prior to them doing these welds? I'm really curious because I'm trying to figure out if I have the same issue so it would give me a place to check.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I am pleased to hear that this seems to be behind you now. Kudo's once again for keeping your shirt on. As frustrating as these issues can get, it benefits nobody if you get all bent out of shape - with the people who are working to satisfy you or in a public forum.

:headbang:

<snip>no one on this forum came forward to confirm they have ever had a bad chassis weld issue. I've mentioned it before but I cannot believe I am on the only one. I am sure there are more S550's with a similar issue and people are chasing it thinking it is something else. Actually the chassis originally never even entered my consciousness - nor the dealers. I do know in my dealings with the CSM the issue on my car was considered to be very unique.>snip<
I completely understand where you're coming from when you offer this observation. In fact, this sounds exactly like something I might have said once or twice in the past! But here is some food for thought (a light meal, perhaps but....)

It is not at all surprising to me that your car suffered from this issue whilst 2,167 other S550's built on the three days either side of yours did not. The robot had a senior moment...or the inspector had a coughing spell...a welding tip went bad...a power hiccup on the assembly line caused the computers to reboot part-way thru the closing of your car...or any one of an additional 9 possible explanations. It happens. Yeah it sucks - but it happens.

And/but keep in mind that -- while it may seem like there are literally THOUSANDS of owners on this forum -- there are probably only about 79 who have read your thread. And of the hundreds and hundreds of other S550 owners that are NOT members of this forum...how many have searched the 'net for a keyword that would hit on this thread? And of those...how many would take the time to join this forum and post their story? My point is that you are dealing with a very small sample. So even if your car was one out of three thousand (a realistic ratio, I'd say) it is well within the margin of [predictable] error that 2,999 other owners had no similar issues...and/or that they didn't post about it here.

I'm rambling, but I'm sure you get the idea. It's just one of those things. But you should feel good about the way you communicated - to all parties. You didn't bad-mouth the company or the dealer here. You spoke to them with calm respect. You were patient. (Reluctantly, of course, but at least you projected patience!)

Do follow up at least once more here, okay? It will be good to hear that EVERYTHING has been squared away!

Last edited:

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
:popcorn:

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Damn. I feared this might happen, but I was trying to be positive. I am so sorry that happened.

estebanvdt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 Phase 2
Damn,,,, that sucks.

Good luck with everything!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have they checked the upper strut assembly? I've seen a few posts on here where the front strut assembly had to be replaced due to knocking/banging noises... or even the lower control arm or ballpoint?

Is the problem only occurring when making a turn, going over road imperfections or driving straight line?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about wheel bearings - both front and back?

Also to note, if no one has mentioned it yet - BMR has found that the rear axle retaining nuts could cause noises such as you're experiencing if the nuts were not torqued to the factory spec of 150ftlbs. I would have your dealer inspect those.

One more thing:
Exhaust - have they checked the exhaust from front to rear where the exhaust mounts/pegs go through the exhaust hangers on the body? I'm wondering if what you are hearing is the shifting of the exhaust which could be hitting up against the floor pan or trans tunnel? Have the Dealer check how loose the exhaust system is when the car is on the lift. Tell them to have a Tech1 sit inside of the vehicle and simultaneously have Tech2 under the vehicle. Tech2 should grab exhaust system, wiggle the system side to side and front to back while both Techs observe and listen for any clunks or knocks.
Sponsored