Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
(Please scroll down for the photos/videos...)

Hi,

This is with reference to the recently released Solo Performance 2015 Mustang GT exhaust systems, see also links for the relevant official Solo announcements below:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36524 Mach XV
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36523 Mach-Thunder
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33827 Street Race
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36767&highlight=Solo Axle Back (coupe only)

Solo Performance's webshop: http://solo-performance.com/performance-exhaust-system -> click on the Mustang

I’m one of the guys were lucky enough to be part of the R&D of this product. I saw the whole process from the design, the first hand-welded prototypes, the changes during the development, the fine tuning and the manufacturing process of the final product. I drove around with all the prototypes and the final products for weeks (months for some of them), provided my feedback to the Solo guys and I’m now a proud owner of a Solo Mach XV cat-back system.

Since all of these experiences, I would like to give my review on the products and Solo Performance in general. Let me put it first: I’m not affiliated to Solo Performance in any way. I have no financial interest on their sales. I was participated in their S550 R&D program during the last 6 months, in return I could keep one of their exhaust system of my liking, that was the deal and nothing more. BUT: I’m biased. Take my review with the note that during the last 6 months I have developed a great appreciation and I became a fan of Solo Performance.

This is not supposed to be a sales pitch, I am just trying to answer some questions and concerns I used to have – as a Mustang enthusiast - when I first heard about Solo.

Who is Solo? I have never heard about them…

Solo Performance is a product line by Zoro Mufflers, a company established since 1968. They have designed the first performance exhaust products in 2002 and brought the Solo Performance brand to the market in 2005. They currently have 4 manufacturing/service locations in the New York/Ontario region. I have personally visited their manufacturing facilities in Hamilton and Toronto (Mississauga) (both are services locations, too) and was quiet impressed (frankly once in the lifetime every car-enthusiast should see a warehouse full with hundreds of performance exhaust systems. :-D )

I met many of their employees, their CEO (Jeff), their design engineers and the folks actually manufacturing the products. I was always impressed by their professionalism and passion for their work..

They like to follow the slowly-but-surely process in developing their products, do not rush to the market with half-baked solutions. They started with other models in 2002, Pontiac G8 and Solstice, F150, etc.. then moved up with their Challenger and Camaro product lines. Finally they have released their first S197 Mustang product back in January this year. As Jeff once explained, they didn’t want to rush anything, they knew the Mustang is the most delicate market segment where only the best could survive. They started the S550 Mustang development in January 2015. I recall getting the first prototype for my 2015 GT PP back in March.

Although they don’t have many Mustang references (since the product is new), they do have tons of feedback for their Challenger and Camaro products. They have shipped several thousands of these exhausts so far. I have included here a search from a Camaro forum (search: “Solo” in titles only). The search is limited to the first 500 topics, 17 pages… ;-). Just in case, if someone would like to research about real life feedback, discussion, etc…

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search.php?searchid=30247809 Note: apparently this search link expires after some time, so if interested, just go to this forum, search for "Solo" with option "Search Titles Only"...

Why Solo? What differentiates their system from all other exhaust products?

Below I just noted some points which I think differentiate a Solo exhaust from everything else out there. I didn’t put here the general description of the products, I’m sure Solo would put those on their website anyway.

Easy upgrade path

The Solo system is a very unique, modular design. Most exhausts have dual mufflers at the tailpipes, so once someone purchases a given system, the deal is done. The Solo tailpipe section is the same for all of their cat-backs, basically 3” straight pipes with the anti-drone J-pipes. The only difference between the 3 Solo cat-backs is the mid section, it’s either an X-pipe (Street Race), or one of the two Mach mufflers (encased, louvered X-pipe based mufflers) - Mach or Mach-Thunder (Thunder being the louder one of course).

So basically if someone buys any of these Solo cat-backs, he can upgrade it to a different version by simple replacing the mid section (muffler) only - which costs a fraction of the total system.

You got the Street Race, but want to get something more neighbor friendly? Just get a Mach muffler, lift the car, release the clamps, swap the x-pipe with the Mach muffler, tighten the clamps back – done. It takes 15 minutes if the car is lifted (I know it from personal experience, Solo did it many times on my car ). It works the other way, too – you got a Mach and want something meaner, all you need to order is the X-Pipe…

J-Pipes

I have never seen this technology anywhere else. It is basically a U shaped pipe on the tailpipe near the end, capped on the other end. Sound waves enter the U, bounces back from the cap and cancel out certain frequencies upon returning to the tailpipe (well, I googled it based on one of the comments below, and actually the science behind this technology is a bit more complex - google Helmholtz resonator, there is an excellent Wikipedia page explaining it) .
The exhaust is tuned for the Coyote engine, also adjustable if needed. The adjustment seems simple enough, release the clamp, adjust the length of the U section, drive around and listen, fine tune, done. Frankly I have never ever tried to adjust it, worked as came from Solo. They explained that usually 24 out of 25 cars do not need any adjustment, but if there is that one which may need it, it’s easy to do even at home.

3” all the way

What else to say, 3” quality stainless steel pipes all the way. Yeah baby!

Pivotal ball and socket joints at the end of the tail pipes for easy tip alignment

This is another unique feature I have never seen before. There is a pivotal joint section at the tail-pipe, so the tips can be finely adjusted to best alignment. Since the huge tips fill up the cut out on the rear valence, it could be handy. Again, I have never used these, Solo folks installed my systems and the final production ones did fit perfectly as provided.

4.5” Tips

Again, what else to say. 4.5 inch, double walled tips!!! Black or Chrome!!! These are huge, mean looking tips. I have the black ones, I love how they look….

Update: the first batches of black tips came powder coated as per pictures below. Solo changed that to black chrome tips for latest shipments, apparently there were risk of rock chips with the powder coated ones. I have inserted a picture below showing the new "black chrome" tips, too (thanks for [MENTION=21478]Moetoe[/MENTION])

Which Solo system (for a GT)? How does it sound?

Street Race

This one is a cat-back with an x-pipe. Basically a straight pipe with the J-pipes to eliminate drone. This is loud. I mean cars-clear-the lane-half a mile-ahead of you-loud. It is nice, no drone, deep and rumbling, but when you get on it, anyone will know about it in a four blocks radius (literally). Buy it if you want to be the meanest, loudest one around…

Mach-Thunder

Same as Street Race, but instead of the X-Pipe, there is a 11" Mach muffler (encased, louvered X-Pipe based muffler). Compare it loudness wise to the Borla Attak or similar systems (but different, deep, rumbling tone). It is loud, but livable. My friend Yanki (@toplessfun here) described it as “it gives you a presence on the road”.

Mach XV (this was my choice)

Same as before, but with a longer 18" Mach muffler which subdues the sound better. I think of it as a Sport/Touring system. Nice deep rumbling sound, still loud when you get on the pedal, but absolutely livable as a daily driver. If you want to enjoy the rumble of the engine inside the car while you are driving, but don’t want anything too invasive, this is the one for you.

Axle back

The same 3” tailpipe with the J-pipes, but coupled to the 2.5” factory resonator. Loudness wise it is similar to the Mach XV (probably a little louder), but the Mach has a fuller tone. I really liked the axle back too, so if budget is a concern and no plan to upgrade the engine (which may require an end-to-end 3” system), one would be perfectly happy with it. Also very much suitable as a daily driver.

So that is all. Note that all above are my personal opinion and liking, others may have different views. I don’t try to sell or persuade anyone, just wanted to bring some attention to an – in my opinion – excellent and innovative product for our beloved Mustangs.

Rudy

Photos/Videos

Official Solo Performance videos:

Mach XV
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]vQYLb4Fcnz0[/MEDIA]"]

Mach-Thunder
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]n-4arn0YByI[/MEDIA]"]

Street Race XV
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]YGY_zVxYMWU[/MEDIA]"]

Axle Back XV
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]VRHE4310h_8[/MEDIA]"]

Mach XV muffler (18")

Black 4.5" tips (powder coated)

Chrome Black 4.5" tips (as per later shipments)
attachment.jpg

another pic about the new Chrome Black tips, this time under natural lighting - it looks much better/darker (this is a V6 catback system BTW, but with the same 4,5" tips)

Pivotal ball and socket joint behind the tips allows easy fine adjustment

J-Pipe with the pivotal joint

The J-Pipe is capped on the other end

Welding of the J-Pipe

Reinforced hangers

Mach-Thunder muffler (11")

This is how the Mach XV muffler looks like inside. It's a high flow design, the muffler is basically an encased, heavily louvered x-pipe...

(Note: this is a larger one for the 6.2L Chevy block, the Mach XV and Mach-Thunder are narrower, but look the same inside...)

The tailpipe section (common for all Solo GT exhausts), J-Pipe, "ball-joint", reinforced hangers... J-Pipe (if needed) can be adjusted by releasing the clamp and adjusting it's length... (kinda like a trumpet I guess :-) )

Polished SS 4.5" tips... (mounted on an earlier, prototype exhaust, still without the pivotal joints)

(just wanted to show how the polished tips look like vs. the black ones...)

Close up for the X-pipe (Street Race setup)

Axleback XV

Solo Performance exhaust prototype on the CNC mandrel bender in Solo's R&D facility (Hamilton, Ontario) in April (May?) 2015.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]aPeQprAjI2k[/MEDIA]"]

An excellent video review of the Solo Performance GT Axleback XV matched with an H-pipe... I hope it's ok that I'm linking it here...

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]8kp8janx4s4[/MEDIA]"]

Street Race cold start and some revs from user "LOL WUT":

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]hk6wcLc4wEw[/MEDIA]"]
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]pnq3rZUvqLk[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored

Last edited:

JollyWrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Is there a model without the J pipes?

Great write up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would one take out the J-pipes? Those are there to eliminate droning... I'm sure technically easy to do one without them, but that exhaust would drone like hell (a 3" straight pipe?)

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
Thanks for typing all that up, Rudy. Might have to pay these guys a visit next time I'm in the Hammer...

Sponsored

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's exactly what I want! Drone isn't a big issue for me
I guess they could make one without the J-pipes, not sure if they want to.. Try contacting them in the linked group buy topic above...

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I have the street race setup. I love the sound of it. My wife does not lol. I may be switching to either the mach shorty or the regular mach to appease her. It's the loudest setup I've heard in person except maybe the SW headers and corsa extreme combo.

The guys at Solo are great and the customer service is awesome. I've had Solo exhausts on 4 of my cars. Speaks volumes about the company.

There is no reason to remove the j-pipes. They don't rob performance and seems like a waste to remove them.

Thanks Rudy for this awesome in depth post.

CoolWhip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Some of the best customer service I have ever experienced a joy to talk to, fast responses too! I will be investing in the Street Race Cat Back, Well done Solo! :cheers:

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Been emailing them all day today and just came across this thread :D Considering their system for my 15 GT. Im in Canada in the gta and to find out the shipping is free to me is :clap2: plus free install... even though I will likely do it myself. Just to spend time with the car and get to know it underneath and adjust it the way I like. Ill report with tons of go pro vids and I will go with the quietest system.

Sponsored
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been emailing them all day today and just came across this thread :D Considering their system for my 15 GT. Im in Canada in the gta and to find out the shipping is free to me is :clap2: plus free install... even though I will likely do it myself. Just to spend time with the car and get to know it underneath and adjust it the way I like. Ill report with tons of go pro vids and I will go with the quietest system.
Good choice. If you are local in GTA just drive to their Mississauga location and they do the install for free ;-) + if you don't like your kit (i.e. Mach is too quiet for your liking), they would swap it to one you like better. Free ;-)

(BTW, I'm in the GTA, too: we have a 2015+ local Mustangs only facebook group, Mustang6ix. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/535353023271923/ )

Last edited:

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
Hi,

This is with reference to the recently announced Solo Performance catback exhaust systems, see also here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33827

I posted this review in that topic too, but I think it shall be posted as independent topic too (I worked hard on all of these typing :D)

So:

I’m one of the guys were lucky enough to be part of the R&D of this product. I saw the whole process from the design, the first hand-welded prototypes, all the changes during the development, the fine tuning and the manufacturing process of the final product. I drove around with all the prototypes and the final products for weeks (months for some of them), provided my feedback for the Solo guys and I’m now a proud owner of a Solo Mach Catback system.

Since all of these experiences, I would like to give my review on the products and Solo Performance in general. Let me put it first: I’m not affiliated to Solo Performance in any way. I have no financial interest on their sales. I was participated in their S550 R&D program during the last 6 months, in return I could keep one of their exhaust system of my liking, that was the deal and nothing more. BUT: I’m biased. Take my review with the note that during the last 6 months I become a fan of Solo Performance. I met there great guys, professionalism and passion and I have developed a great appreciation for Solo Performance.

This is not supposed to be a sales pitch, I am just trying to answer the questions and concerns I used to have – as an Mustang enthusiast - when I first heard about Solo.

Who is Solo? I have never heard about them…

Solo Performance is a product line by Zoro Mufflers, a company established since 1968. They have designed the first performance exhaust products in 2002 and brought the Solo Performance product line to the market in 2005. They currently have 4 manufacturing/service locations in the New York/Ontario region. I have personally visited their manufacturing facilities in Hamilton and Toronto (Mississauga) (both are services locations, too) and was quiet impressed (frankly once in the lifetime every car-enthusiast should see a warehouse full with hundreds of performance exhaust systems, packed, ready for shipping :-D )

I met many of their employees, their CEO (Jeff), their design engineers and the folks actually manufacturing the products. I was always impressed by their professionalism and passion.

I learned that they like to follow the slowly-but-surely process in developing their products, do not rush to the market with half-baked solutions. They started with other models in 2002, Pontiac G8 and Solstice, F150, etc.. then moved up with their Challenger and Camaro product lines. Finally they have released their first S197 Mustang product back in January this year. As Jeff once explained to me, they didn’t want to rush anything, they knew the Mustang is the most delicate market segment where only the best could survive. They started the S550 Mustang development in January this year. I recall getting the first prototype back in March for my 2015 GT PP.

Although they don’t have many Mustang references (since the product line is new), they do have tons of feedback for their Challenger and Camaro product lines. They have shipped several thousands of these exhausts so far. I have included here a search from a Camaro forum (search: “Solo” in titles only). The search is limited to the first 500 topics, 17 pages… ;-). Just in case, if someone would like to research about real life feedback, discussion, etc…

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search.php?searchid=30247809 Note: apparently this search link expires after some time, so if interested, just go to this forum, search "Solo" in topic title only...

Why Solo? What differentiates their system from all the other exhaust product?

Below I just noted down some points – I think – differentiate a Solo exhaust from everything else out there. I don’t put here the general description of the products, I’m sure Solo will put those in their website anyway.

Easy upgrade path

The Solo system is a very unique design. Most exhausts have dual mufflers at the tailpipe, so once one purchases a given system, the deal is done. With Solo, note that the tailpipe section is the same unit for all of their cat back systems, basically 3” straight pipe with the anti-drone J-pipes. (it’s probably the same for the axle back, too. I’m not sure about this as the axle back needs a coupler to convert the 3” Solo system to the 2.5” factory resonator). The only difference between the 3 Solo catbacks is the center section, it’s either an X-pipe (Street Race), or one of the two Mach mufflers - an encased, louvered X-pipe based muffler – Mach or Mach-Thunder (Thunder being the louder one of course).

So basically once one buys a Solo catback and wants to change it later, the only replacement needed is the one piece center muffler (which cost the fraction of the total system).

You got the Street Race, but want to get something more neighbour friendly? Just get a Mach muffler, lift the car, release the clamps, swap the x-pipe with the Mach muffler, tighten the clamps back – done. It takes 15 minutes if the car is lifted (I know it from personal experience, Solo did it many times on my car ). It works the other way, too – you got a Mach and want something meaner, all you need to order is the X-Pipe…

J-Pipes

I have never seen this technology anywhere else. It is basically a J shaped pipe on the tailpipe near the end, capped on the other end. Sound waves enter the J, bounces back from the cap and cancel out certain frequencies upon returning to the tailpipe in a different phase. The exhaust is tuned for the Coyote engine, also adjustable if needed. The adjustment seems simple enough, release the clamp, adjust the length of the J section (thus the timing/phase the bounced sound waves), drive around and listen, fine tune, done. Frankly I have never ever tried to adjust it, worked as came from Solo. They explained to me that usually 24 out of 25 cars do not need any adjustment, but if there is that one which may need it, it’s easy to done even at home.

3” all the way

What else to say, 3” quality stainless steel pipes all the way. Yeah baby!

Ball joints at the end of the tail pipe section

This is another unique feature I have never seen before. There is a ball joint section at the last section of the tail-pipe, so the tips can be finely adjusted to best alignment. Since the huge tips fill up the cut out on the rear valence, it could be handy. Again, I have never used these, Solo folks installed my systems and the final production ones did fit perfectly as provided.

4.5” Tips

Again, what else to say. 4.5 inch tips!!! Black or Chrome!!! These are huge, mean looking tips. I have the black ones, I love how they look….

Which Solo system (for a GT)? How does it sound?

Street Race

This one is a catback with an x-pipe. Basically a straight pipe with the J-pipes to eliminate drone. This is loud. I mean cars-clear-the lane-half a mile-ahead of you-loud. It is nice, no drone, deep and rumbling, but when you get on it, anyone will know about it in a four blocks radius (literally). Buy it if you want to be the meanest, loudest one around… Warning: if you live in an apartment complex, think it over twice. Cold start is brutal…

Mach-Thunder

Same as Street Race, but instead of the X-Pipe, there is a Mach muffler (encased, louvered, X-Pipe based muffler). Compare it loudness wise to the Borla Attak or similar systems (but different, deep, rumbling tone). It is loud, but liveable. My friend Yanki (toplessfun) described it as “it gives you a presence on the road”. You will be noticed, but probably not evicted from your apartment ;-)

Mach (this was my choice)

Same as before, but with a longer Mach muffler which subdues the sound better. I think it is somehow a Sport/Touring system. Nice deep rumbling sound, still loud when you get on the gas, but absolutely liveable as a daily driver. If you want to enjoy the rumble of the engine inside the car while you are driving, but don’t want anything too invasive, this is the one for you.

Axle back

The same 3” tailpipe with the J-pipes, but coupled to the 2.5” factory resonator. Loudness wise it is similar to the Mach, but the Mach has a more full tone. I really liked the axle back too, so if budget is a concern and no plan to upgrade the engine (which may require an end-to-end 3” system), one would be perfectly happy with it. Also very much suitable as a daily driver.

So that is all. Note that all above are my personal opinion and liking, others may have different opinions. I don’t try to sell or persuade anyone, just wanted to bring some attention to an – in my opinion – excellent and innovative product for our beloved Mustangs.

Rudy
Do you have any sound clips of the Mach system?

This looks like it has a lot of potential.

Thanks!

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Yeah we need clips of the mach and mach thunder

I prefer a deep toned exhaust like the ARH or stainless works, with H pipes.

If these sound similar that would be great

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks, I have the Mach raw video (Mach installed on my car) which is currently being edited for Solo's marketing (the banners, information, etc..) and will be uploaded to M6G whenever ready. Since it's a raw video I won't publish it here, but if you PM me, I can send you the youtube link (on the condition that you won't distribute it)

BR, Rudy

P.S. The videos have been officially released, ref. group buy links in the first post

Last edited:
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah we need clips of the mach and mach thunder

I prefer a deep toned exhaust like the ARH or stainless works, with H pipes.

If these sound similar that would be great
It is deep. Much deeper than Borla S-type or the Attak (I have heard only these two in real life). The nice thing is that the Solo can go to a deep rumble without the usually associated drone because of their J-Pipe technology...
Sponsored