Sponsored

Convertible top operation issues of catching, noises, wear. Report issues & fixes.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Occasionally my top will make a sound like something is catching or hitting something it shouldn't, mostly during the final stage of retracting top. I thought it would be good to have a thread where those who find issues can report them as well as those who have found fixes for these issues could report and we can all avoid on going top operation problems.

I'll start with these items...
1) One time I had a 10" long plastic trim piece pop off the passenger side (would be just right of passengers head). I pressed it back on and have not had the issue repeat.

2) The issue that made me post this is now: Most of the time, on the drivers side part of the headliner (that has a thin piece of plastic sheet attached to it) always gets caught 'over' the folding rail instead of moving to the inside of the hinges as the other side does. I see a couple of wear spots on the edge of the head liner developing too.
Sponsored

Cuppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ruby Red V6 Vert 051A
Posted this in another convertible thread

Occasionally when I put the top up the right hand side bracket/hinge will snap and pop when close to the header. My current fix for this is to close the top about 3/4 of the way...stop and let the top settle a bit, then continue. So far this has worked. No other top issues so far.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I started getting the snapping when closing top, 3 x in a row now

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible, 50 Year Edition
OK, do here are mine:

1) I get the same snap and have blamed that same black plastic sheet Davekro posted above. Not every time, but maybe once a week or so.
2) I also had that same 10" plastic molding come loose once. Has been fine after replacing it.
3) I have the support rod problems posted elsewhere, the support that are supposed to be attached to both sides of the rear window and are, instead, laying down in the well the top folds into
4) I have the creaking from the pass. side header, right about where the latch is. I have yet to diagnose, but another poster said he fixed this w/some grommets on the posts that mate to the windshield header. I am still looking for specs on those grommets to get some and try that.
5) I have 2 spots that have begun to fray slightly, along the seams on either side just behind the solid header piece. The exact fray on both sides of the car in the same place. I can't for the life of me figure out what has caused it as those spots are visible when the top is down, ie: nothing is rubbing on them. I have not ruled out the tonneau caps yet.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I just tried raising my top 2x in a row, paused when the roof was above the headrests of the front seats, then continued.

No popping. Couldn't see anything catching.

But something I'll keep an eye out for

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
OK, do here are mine:

1) I get the same snap and have blamed that same black plastic sheet Davekro posted above. Not every time, but maybe once a week or so.
2) I also had that same 10" plastic molding come loose once. Has been fine after replacing it.
3) I have the support rod problems posted elsewhere, the support that are supposed to be attached to both sides of the rear window and are, instead, laying down in the well the top folds into
4) I have the creaking from the pass. side header, right about where the latch is. I have yet to diagnose, but another poster said he fixed this w/some grommets on the posts that mate to the windshield header. I am still looking for specs on those grommets to get some and try that.
5) I have 2 spots that have begun to fray slightly, along the seams on either side just behind the solid header piece. The exact fray on both sides of the car in the same place. I can't for the life of me figure out what has caused it as those spots are visible when the top is down, ie: nothing is rubbing on them. I have not ruled out the tonneau caps yet.
Here's what you read

" I noticed when you turned the convertible latch handle from inside the car to let the top down, the noise abated. I studied the convertible top from the underside and noticed the alignment pins were metal, and when you put the top down, the pins settled into a "metal" socket, i.e., metal on metal. I purchased two rubber grommets that fit the alignment pins (pushed the grommet up to the top of the pin) and tested the corrected action. No more noise. Problem solved for 30 cents. The rubber grommets were 1/2 inch in diameter with a hole in the center about 1/4 inch. Hopes this helps those with similar problems."

It was posted by bbjan38 this month on the 2nd, on this thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20950

Emailing my dealership now, in hope they read it and try it out (Yeah, she's back a 3rd time :()

DolomiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertable
Occasionally my top will make a sound like something is catching or hitting something it shouldn't, mostly during the final stage of retracting top. I thought it would be good to have a thread where those who find issues can report them as well as those who have found fixes for these issues could report and we can all avoid on going top operation problems.

I'll start with these items...
1) One time I had a 10" long plastic trim piece pop off the passenger side (would be just right of passengers head). I pressed it back on and have not had the issue repeat.

2) The issue that made me post this is now: Most of the time, on the drivers side part of the headliner (that has a thin piece of plastic sheet attached to it) always gets caught 'over' the folding rail instead of moving to the inside of the hinges as the other side does. I see a couple of wear spots on the edge of the head liner developing too.
Not to resurrect an old thread here, but #2 started happening to my 2019 Vert recently. Is there a simple fix for this that anyone is aware of?
Sponsored