Sponsored

Hit a corner scale Sunday

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Not bad for a base PP with a 1/4 tank of e85.

Still have a back seat. (I have kids)

Full bolt ons, deka etx18l battery, no k brace or strut brace. M600 wheels. Aluminum DSS. Exedy clutch and LWFW. Grill delete, engine cover and coil covers deleted, air pump deleted, BMR cradle lock out and bf shifter bracket added a little.

I have Aerospace front street brakes ordered. Should shed another 55lbs.
20170522_222702.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Damn nice!
I have a loaded Premium GT PP.
My goal is to have it down to about 3650 pounds.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Good to know. Main reasoning I went with base PP was to try and spare some weight from what I thought was an already some-what bloated platform. I don't have any reductions minus a few aftermarket parts, but good to see they can be brought down to fairly reasonable weight. If this car could get down into the 3200-3300 area I think it would be an absolute beast.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm surprised that it's that nose-heavy (54.5%) or has that low of a crossweight (48.1%). Adding thin shims for the right-front and left-rear or preloading both sta-bars could fix the crossweight issue but nothing short of physically moving components rearward can help the front/rear distribution.

Norm

Detector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Nice!

Took my 2015 premium non-PP to the scales a few weeks ago. 3800 lbs on the button with me in it. I weight 155 so 3645 lbs.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
What kind of difference does a couple hundred pounds of weight reduction make? Strip, track, etc. Is it worth the money? A guy on here had spent like 15 grand in weight reduction for something like 400lbs. Why not spend half that on power adders? And if it's just for the track there has to be cheaper upgrades that would improve handling, no?

Legitimate question.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
What kind of difference does a couple hundred pounds of weight reduction make? Strip, track, etc. Is it worth the money? A guy on here had spent like 15 grand in weight reduction for something like 400lbs. Why not spend half that on power adders? And if it's just for the track there has to be cheaper upgrades that would improve handling, no?

Legitimate question.
Google can probably answer that for you (not trying to be smart). What is known is, it's cheaper to add horsepower than it is to lose weight. So it's probably smarter to max out power before you start dumping money into shedding lbs (unless it's free or you're losing it to change out to better parts in the first place). It's probably more important on a track car because weight transfer on corners but drag racing it obviously helps move the car down the track quicker when you first start moving.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Google can probably answer that for you (not trying to be smart). What is known is, it's cheaper to add horsepower than it is to lose weight. So it's probably smarter to max out power before you start dumping money into shedding lbs (unless it's free or you're losing it to change out to better parts in the first place). It's probably more important on a track car because weight transfer on corners but drag racing it obviously helps move the car down the track quicker when you first start moving.
No big deal. Wasn't taken that way. I just like to ask things on here sometimes that I can google, purely to keep the discussion forum alive and well. I hate when people respond with "use the search feature" to things that can't be found on the first couple pages of thread history. If we don't discuss, the forum dies.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Legitimate question.
Because losing weight makes everything better. Acceleration, braking, cornering, it's all about weight and momentum. Losing weight is the best performance improvement, next to tires.

Keep in mind momentum and inertia. Lower the weight, and you lower the impact of those two physics issues.

I remember back in 2013, when the S550 was being discussed by FoMoCo engineers and designers. The big talk was 200-300 lbs lighter, and smaller dimensions. Boy was I pissed when we got this tank.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
As a drag racer. I dig the weight reduction. But doesn't removing the bracing take away from the point of the PP???

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Certainly from the corner-carving side of the performance it does, and there's probably a driver confidence improvement from it in that environment as well. But I suspect that there isn't enough direct benefit in drag racing to make up for the weight added (durability here . . . who knows???).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Legitimate question.
Because it's not always about the power side of power to weight. Or even the cost.

Norm

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a drag racer. I dig the weight reduction. But doesn't removing the bracing take away from the point of the PP???
When I bought the car I wanted many of the advantages of the PP. The bigger radiator, 373 gearing (planning on staying NA), spoiler delete with no holes left in the trunk, wheels (at the time), gauges, and bigger brakes (at the time). Yes the bracing, springs, and sway bars are different as well. I thought I may try some autocross or something and figured I may like the handling improvements. Then as time went by I realized that any kind of track racing can get a lot more expensive then the occasional run down the drag strip. I am a drag racer at heart and also enjoy the occasional run in Mexico. I don't need the top level handling for carving turns safely on the street and for straight line acceleration. I am happy where the handling is right now so losing the two front braces and using the aerospace front brakes help take a fair amount of weight from an already nose heavy car. If I dont like it or change my mind down the road I can easily put that stuff back on.

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another 55lb weight reduction this weekend!:headbang:
20170523_115428.jpg

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Legitimate question.
Remember rotational weight is also worth a lot more then dead weight. I have heard some say that every pound of rotational weight is worth 10 pounds of dead weight. Brakes, wheels, tires, drive shafts, flywheels, pulleys, etc are all worth nice gains when added up!
Sponsored