Tell me which mustang is for me

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
[MENTION=16952]Glenn G[/MENTION] I am with you there. The only issue I have had was the front engine cover oil "ooze" that I got fixed under warranty with no issues. I think that could have happened to any car and did not seem to be a major issue considering the dealership told me I could drive it no problem the week between when they diagnosed it and fixed it.
I had the same ooze, a few months ago I cleaned the crap out of the area so I could pinpoint the leak when I took it to the dealer and the ooze has not returned, the area is bone dry and clean. guess it fixed itself?:shrug:

[MENTION=30351]accel[/MENTION] This would be the last year for a new V6 as far as I know. If you can afford the V8 I dont see any reason for you to settle on a V6 though. Just b/c power is available doesn't mean you have to use it. Also you can't get leather and such in the V6 but if you are looking at a toyota 86 it doesn't seem like leather and interior upgrades matter much to you since I believe it doesn't have much of that either. Since you are also not short I think you'd appreciate the mustang much more than the 86 any way you spec'd it. Fairly certain most of the manufacturer qualities you are looking for would be fairly equal across the two cars.
When I went car shopping the Toyota dealer I order all the parts for my wife's and my Supra (We had two, sold mine)let me take an FRS home for the evening while they did some work on her car.

As a hard core JDM Guy, I really wanted to love that car so bad. It felt light and toss-able and was great until I got it on the Autobahn.

I Germany Ford sells a "performance" Mini van called the S-Max, comes with the same Engine as a Focus ST.

One was coming as I was pulling on to the A66 so I floored it and waited. and waited, okay over 4000 thousand RPM there was a bump in power! Was Vtec about to kick in yo? Not really, it gained some power as wrung it up to redline.

The mini van was right on my ass now and indicating for me to get out of the way, so I thought "once he's out of my draft, I'll pull on him right?"

Nope I move over and he proceeds to walk on by.

I can assure you that getting walked by a minivan in a car that looks as good as the FRS/BRZ twins is every bit as soul crushing as it sounds.

On the rest of the way home I got pushed out of the way by some Turbo Diesel station wagons as I enjoyed the cramped interior, not very nice ride, buzzy loud interior, and RPMS in the High 3000 range at a decent cruising speed and not very good fuel economy because of it.

I got it home totally dejected but went the long way home through some twisties to make up for it and nearly had a smile on my face.

So the next morning I'm happy to see it, they look good, I jump in fire it up and it sounds good. I drive though the city this time and I'm feeling it, then I have to hit the Autobahn again, I see another S-max and I cringe until I notice it's just a turbo diesel, So i roll up and he moves over as he smashes the gas pedal.

It seems like ages as I barely creep by, well over 160 kph (100 mph) before I'm finally well clear of him. I only feel a bit better now but that is quicky fixed as a Polo GTI and Fiesta ST are having a play, I just move over and try but it's hopeless, they both leave me for dead, I couldn't even make my self look over at them as they passed, I was that embarrassed. I just started to drive in the slow lane and dream about some twisty roads or an autocross track to embarrass those mini vans or the Polo and Fiesta.

That's when I realized that this car was making me dread the unlimited Autobahn, the one thing I really love about Germany I hated in this car. I could have returned the car later that day but called my boss and said I was going to be a few minutes late, went to the dealer and got my wife's Supra.

I have never had an American car before, the mustang is my first but the EB was everything the FRS was not at about $3000 less, as soon as Nissan announced the S16 was officially dead, I put my order in.

The EB is a great car. I have a lot of fun in mine. Boost is addicting.

It is, however, not a car for the thin skinned. If you need to validate your purchase on the opinions of others, you're going to have a bad time in an EB Mustang.
:amen: Absolute truth
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
The EB is a great car. I have a lot of fun in mine. Boost is addicting.

It is, however, not a car for the thin skinned. If you need to validate your purchase on the opinions of others, you're going to have a bad time in an EB Mustang.
This statement can not be more true. You can try and explain to everyone all day long that an Ecoboost very solid performer but it will fall on deaf ears. All someone needs to see is the 5.0 and its awesome. The GT will always get more credit then it deserves in stock form and the ecoboost will be way less. Nothing can be changed about that it just needs to be accepted.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
[MENTION=30351]accel[/MENTION] Living in San Jose, I often wish I had a ecoboost. Better MPG and cheaper insurance. Its not like I can stretch my GT's legs stoplight to stoplight. Also these cars feel a bit big in this compact parking city

Even a good exhaust note, doesn't replace the practical part of my brain.

But I do look forward to every on ramp without traffic on it...
That's why I consider V6, - not as fuel efficient as EB, but uses regular. And I mentioned already - I do not trust DI...

So I guess I ought to go and test it. Too bad no Pacjages for this model. But I do not care of Premium package, and suspension one I can do myself later....

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I consider V6, - not as fuel efficient as EB, but uses regular. And I mentioned already - I do not trust DI...

So I guess I ought to go and test it. Too bad no Pacjages for this model. But I do not care of Premium package, and suspension one I can do myself later....
If you like the V6, the one to get you can't get new anymore: manual with the 3.55 axle. They had it available with the 051A package in 2015, available without the 051A in 2016, but not at all for 2017. The manual, 3.55 V6 is definitely good fun.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP

Ive had my v6 for a little over 2 years now. Got it for 21k in apr2015. Havent had any issues with it since i got it, its fun, it doesnt sound that bad, it looks great, and it has more than enough power. Mpg may not be as great as you think, i drive about 80% city and only get about 15.5mpg, although if i go hwy ill get 30+ easy. V8 owners are getting the same mpg as i am.

I too am not a fan of turbo engines, i had a 2010 mazdaspeed3 for 2 years and while it was a fun quick car, i much preferred the linear power of a NA engine.

But while the V6/EBs are perfectly fine cars, be warned that you will get frustrated when people insult it and then you will regret not going v8. The internet will insult you, your friends and family may even insult you, even random people might insult you. No one wants to hear about the v6 and eb simply because the v8 exist. It was definitelty a frustrating experience for me and it made me attempt a trade in 2 years ago that would have cost me a $700 monthly payment and for me to nearly max out a few of my credit cards just for a down payment, with absolute disregard to insurance and gas..luckily i couldnt come up with the down payment otherwise id be shitting out 700 a month right now..all this just to avoid the insults even though i was perfectly contempt with my v6. Nowadays, i fking enjoy my v6 because i put an exhaust on it and it made it much more fun to drive., i havent even tuned it yet. I look forward to seeing it and driving it everyday, hell sometimes i find dumb reasons just to drive it. i still do plan on moving up to a v8 but maybe for the s650. I still get insults but its only from people on the internet and tbh it kinda makes it fun to buttheads with people lol. I get thumbs up from GT owners all the time too so just remember that not all v8 owners are douchebags who think they are driving a 100k car.

Sorry for the long post but thats my 2 years of experience of having the v6. A lot of car for a low price but a lot of insults. Im sure its no different for EB owners. If you want to avoid all this, get a base v8.

Sponsored

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP - Gone
The internet will insult you, your friends and family may even insult you, even random people might insult you.
WRX owners will talk AWD. GTI guys will talk interior. 5.0 guys will talk exhaust note. Camaro guys will talk magazine times. Nothing wrong with getting what you like (and can reasonably afford) and sticking with it.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Ive had my v6 for a little over 2 years now. Got it for 21k in apr2015. Havent had any issues with it since i got it, its fun, it doesnt sound that bad, it looks great, and it has more than enough power. Mpg may not be as great as you think, i drive about 80% city and only get about 15.5mpg, although if i go hwy ill get 30+ easy. V8 owners are getting the same mpg as i am.

I too am not a fan of turbo engines, i had a 2010 mazdaspeed3 for 2 years and while it was a fun quick car, i much preferred the linear power of a NA engine.

But while the V6/EBs are perfectly fine cars, be warned that you will get frustrated when people insult it and then you will regret not going v8. The internet will insult you, your friends and family may even insult you, even random people might insult you. No one wants to hear about the v6 and eb simply because the v8 exist. It was definitelty a frustrating experience for me and it made me attempt a trade in 2 years ago that would have cost me a $700 monthly payment and for me to nearly max out a few of my credit cards just for a down payment, with absolute disregard to insurance and gas..luckily i couldnt come up with the down payment otherwise id be shitting out 700 a month right now..all this just to avoid the insults even though i was perfectly contempt with my v6. Nowadays, i fking enjoy my v6 because i put an exhaust on it and it made it much more fun to drive., i havent even tuned it yet. I look forward to seeing it and driving it everyday, hell sometimes i find dumb reasons just to drive it. i still do plan on moving up to a v8 but maybe for the s650. I still get insults but its only from people on the internet and tbh it kinda makes it fun to buttheads with people lol. I get thumbs up from GT owners all the time too so just remember that not all v8 owners are douchebags who think they are driving a 100k car.

Sorry for the long post but thats my 2 years of experience of having the v6. A lot of car for a low price but a lot of insults. Im sure its no different for EB owners. If you want to avoid all this, get a base v8.
In you opinion, do you think the EB or V6 gets more negative remarks?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
In you opinion, do you think the EB or V6 gets more negative remarks?
Probably the v6...only because it has suffered from the stigma for a longer time. But if the eb has been around longer im guessing it would have gotten more negative remarks since it is a 4cylinder.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Probably the v6...only because it has suffered from the stigma for a longer time. But if the eb has been around longer im guessing it would have gotten more negative remarks since it is a 4cylinder.
Interesting observation, I think you're right though. Now that the V6 is being discontinued I think they'll be a niche for S550 Cyclones.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I look forward to the Op taking these for a ride and telling us what he thinks. Ideally I think he should drive all three models. Interesting to hear his take on all our advice. Heck, I've test driven 2 gt's during the time of this thread already.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
:D Get the V8 and you wont have all of these mentioned problems. Get the Performance Pack while you're at it.

That way, no one will talk bad about it and you'll have no regrets on the performance end of it.:thumbsup:

Seriously, if you just want the looks of the Mustang, get which ever one you desire. If you buy the Mustang for performance and can afford the GT, that is the way to go hands down.

I am nearly 40 years old. If I was younger, I'd get which ever one I could afford. However, at my current age I will not have a muscle car without the muscle. Not going to happen. If I want 300 horse power, I'd be much more practical about it. Plenty of 4 door performance sedans with 300 or better HP and you can get them at or around the same price as the V6 and EB. I've already got a 4Runner for family transportation

I am also a fan of all good performance cars, not just the Mustang. I didn't have to have the Mustang for any reason other than the power and performance (along with drivability) at the price point that the GT PP provides. There were a few cars to choose from, but my final choice was the GT PP. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the V6 and EB! It's just that neither of those met any of my wants.

Now, if I didn't have a 2 year old and another on the way? Pssssh! GT350, Z06, Viper, or something along those lines would be in my garage. But, I wouldn't trade my baby boy or soon to arrive girl. No way.

Last edited:

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Its your car and your money, so go test drive each and see which you prefer, and which works with your finances.

That said, I'll throw my support behind the V6. I haven't driven the other two so I can't compare, but I'm very happy with my choice. I spent $18k on a used 2015 with 18k miles. I average 25.5 mpg on regular, have enough power to keep my happy for now, low insurance rates, lower taxes, a great looking car, reliability, great sound, and one that handles really well with just a couple of suspension mods. I love the fact its, I think, the lightest version of the mustang, almost 200 lbs less than the GT. I've always been more interested in handling than straightline performance.

If I ever get to the point where the power feels lacking, a procharger is "just" $6,000 away. Throw in the cost of the supercharger and I'm only at $24,000...still significantly less than a Gt. And I keep my lower tax rates and insurance. Most GT parts bolt right on so you can upgrade it relatively cheaply.

Regardless which one you get, your're getting a great car. Just need to way the how much you enjoy each vs your budget. If money is no object, GT is obvious choice. If it would cause you some hardships, there are two other really great options.

And no, not once have I been made fun of or insulted for having the V6. Even if I did, I don't care. I'm proud of it :)

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Interesting observation, I think you're right though. Now that the V6 is being discontinued I think they'll be a niche for S550 Cyclones.
Yup Grabber Blue V6's will be rare to see in the streets. It's kinda nice driving the S550 Mustang trim that you don't see that often. Out of all the Mustangs I have seen driving around just this week, most of those were GT's/Ecoboosts, but ive only seen one V6. I could go a whole month not seeing them sometimes :lol:. I dunno if that's something to be proud about but I find it kind of cool lol.

I'm not too sure how the EB drives but I imagine its just a faster RWD version of my old Mazdaspeed3. Even though the GT is faster than my V6 I was still a bit underwhelmed when I was test driving them (maybe because they were the bone stock ones). At city speeds it didn't feel at all different than my V6 but when I let her loose yea, the GT definitely keeps pulling... I also thought it was going to be louder but it was pretty silent. That being said I already know the potential of the GT, I could probably buy a bone stock GT, put an exhaust and be fine with it. Unfortunately I cannot afford a GT and I was barely able to afford the V6 when I got it so I will wait to trade this up. But always keep in mind your finances. Base GT's run about $32k, V6s run about $24k. You could easily find a base V6 for less though as I got mine for that only 21k, ive seen some brand new EB/V6s go as low as 19k, that's a lot of car for that low price.
I know that people here are telling you to just go V8 (even im telling you that) but it all comes down to what you can afford. You pay a price for "just going v8", nearly $10k more, for people like me that's not exactly chump change. It seems like you scratched the EB out of the race, now hurry up and go test drive some GTs/V6s and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
i much preferred the linear power of a NA engine.
With that in mind . . .

accel - do put a good bit of thought into what you want in terms of power delivery.

Surge of power as the turbo's boost comes in, or having power that's tied more closely to what you're doing with your right foot?

If you're a true corner-carver, you'll probably prefer the latter. Certainly between or among cars of comparable acceleration performance.

FWIW, we got the LGT in my sig in large part because of it having the 6MT. V6-powered cars with comparable or better power that we'd have considered otherwise were all AT, which was and (with age 70 fast approaching) still is a deal-breaker. The turbo only served to bring the power and straightline performance up to an acceptable level (for both of us - she doesn't want a car that can't get up and go when she wants it to either), and I've since found that it doesn't have power delivery quite as predictable as I'd prefer. Have to anticipate a little too much when rolling into the throttle for corner exit, even in mildly enthusiastic street driving.

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Thanks guys for the information. You are very knowledgeable.

The funny thing about my situation is that what I really want right now firstplace is - sell my current car. I just fixed it, tired of DIY and dealer fixing it. No more. I just do not trust it anymore and would not take it onto any critical trip. Not very prepared for this financially, but... well, have to pay for my mistake.

Mustang and FRS are the only cars I can look at at the moment.

As I mentioned above I rented AT Mustang for several days on a business trip and really liked it. That's even better than a test drive... starting it in the morning, runing errands, occasional spirited drive, parking it, loading luggage, returning to the car the next day... Now, I was very busy that time and didn't care to pop the hood and check what engine it was... But I think it must've been the V6, since I fueled it with regular and there were no signs of "premium only" anywhere in sight... The car had ~25k on it and felt like pretty well built vehicle with no rattles or any other annoyances. I liked the steering, the way AT worked etc. Even had a chance to check brakes in an emergency stop. My only rant was - the roofline for passengers in the back was low. They are not really even covered with the roof, but the glass.

So, I owe myself and you guys a testdrive of a MT V6. I'm manual guy, but if does not feel right, can pick the AT for a Mustang (but not the FRS).

I can afford GT... GT is nice, but I would not buy current DI V8, and hate '18 all electronic dash... I mean, we all are staring LCD screens at our laptops, tvs and mobile phones all day long these days.... so give me some material objects in sight... Any hope the dash would be optional?

And yes, I LIKE THAT GRABBER BLUE COLOR! :)

I wish white stripes were available for v6.
Sponsored