Octane???

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
We will know how much exactly when I go again next week after running just 93.
Just a heads up as well, but it should have been dyno'd in 5th gear which is the 1:1 gear for the 350. Having done the runs in 4th, you have some effects leaking through in regards to torque multiplication and its hard to say just how much that affected the runs. :shrug:

But, hopefully the deltas will still give somewhat of an idea what can be expected from higher octanes!
Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
This was a full tank of 93 with one can of Torco, correct?

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
This was a full tank of 93 with one can of Torco, correct?
It was the second tank of 93 with Torco. To be clear as I can, I added 14.5 gallons of 93 and 32 oz of Torco to a tank that started with 16 gallons (a full tank) of 93. Then I ran that tank down and added 13.5 gallons of 93 and 32 oz of Torco to that tank. If the tank is a 16 gallon tank it would have been 29.5 gallons (+ what was in the fuel line, rails, and fuel pump) of 93 (16 + 13.5) with 64 oz of Torco.

The mixing directions say 48 oz to 30 gallons of 93 would yield 98 so my best guess is around 100 +/- was the final octane. I went on the minus side and guessed at 98.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice results. I'd love to know if Torco is ok or ultimately bad for our engines with repeated use. I wonder which would be better ... running E85 or adding Torco from time to time? Not just for power but for the health of the fuel system, plugs, etc.
Of course the manufacturer is going to say their product causes no issues with the factory motor. This is Torco's claim. I do not plan on running it very often. Maybe on track day, but then again, the car's ability on 93 far exceeds my ability at this time. I will run 93 from here on out until my ability exceeds that of the car.
What I do know is adding Torco does not void the warranty which is not the case with a E85 tune.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Nice results. I'd love to know if Torco is ok or ultimately bad for our engines with repeated use. I wonder which would be better ... running E85 or adding Torco from time to time? Not just for power but for the health of the fuel system, plugs, etc.
I ran Torco for years on track with my GT500. Many hours of track time using it with nothing but a rust colored hue on the plugs and tips. The tuners I have spoken to over the years recommend it. That said, I'm not going to run it in this car on track because the knock sensors are so good and can adjust spark accordingly. My primary objective for using it was insurance under extreme track conditions on a forced induction application. My GT500s did not have knock sensors.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work got crazy last week and I was not able to go. Pretty good chance of rain this week. Maybe go a week from Monday to get the 93 vs 100 comparison done.
Sponsored