Sponsored

Did insurance skyrocket overnight or did I miss something?

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I went and got some insurance quotes, given my new job with a 25% pay bump means I can finally, FINALLY start buying bits to put on the car.

I didn't change any of my details, I just added that I'd be getting a CAI to the quote and my insurance promptly skyrocketed by £400-and change to over £1000!

I didn't realise a bit of pipe and a foam cone were such high ticket items /s :headbonk:
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So I went and got some insurance quotes, given my new job with a 25% pay bump means I can finally, FINALLY start buying bits to put on the car.

I didn't change any of my details, I just added that I'd be getting a CAI to the quote and my insurance promptly skyrocketed by £400-and change to over £1000!

I didn't realise a bit of pipe and a foam cone were such high ticket items /s :headbonk:
Seem to remember you were getting rid, Ben? Good to see you have calmed down after your mishap ;)

Gotta play the game with insurance unfortunately, I spoke to my insurers several times before I got a decent price when changing to the GT. After a bit of a balls up (on their part), I actually ended up paying just an extra £50 for the remainder of my annual premium to go from EB to GT - crazy but I got away with it. Also reduced my mileage from 12 to 8k.

Annoyingly, it's all about who you speak to and how they decide to calculate your premium (assuming you stay with who you are with).

FWIW I called to inform of my springs and spacers last week, only incurred the admin charge of £20. Funnily enough, the first chap I spoke to told me that I didn't even have a policy with them!

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
My premium has been bumped up by about £60. Also, I noticed the best price on confused.com was about the same amount higher than it was a year ago.

Unfortunately this is *probably* due to the Mustang starting as a low risk (as a new model) and being seen as an increased risk due to claims being made.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Much like james, hunt around. comparison sites rose for me, however, always seek independants too, or ones not on compare sites. I'm with D/L and can't fault them for their quotes... hoping year 3 becomes cheaper.... errr... doubt it lol!

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
^^^^
I didn't know James Hunt had a Mustang:shrug::D:D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I got on to some independents (like Adrian Flux, Brentacre etc.) and ended up with insane prices. Performance Direct offered me £1400+, for example. :eek:

I tried Direct Line, £700 but that was their online service with no mods declared.

Finally, eSure. All mods (steering wheel, catback, CAI) and legal protection. £650 on the nose. That's only £54 (and change) higher over what I'm paying now. :cheers:

Come payday I may have a new Mishimoto filter dropped into the Muzza. Sound-pipe delete, of course.

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Manders, how did you get around the coilovers with D/L?
They refused springs for me as they wont insure mods for people under 25. I need your secrets as I want springs :lol:

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They refused springs for me as they wont insure mods for people under 25. I need your secrets as I want springs :lol:
Plot twist, he's not told them about his mods. :ninja:

;)

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have coilovers. However i was the same as you, they flatout refused springs. Coilovers they were fine with as they're adjustable, and are safer for the car, it shocked me when i asked them.

Trust me, Directline is not a case of one time ask, it takes me a good 4-5 phone calls on average to different handlers to get a mod passed through.

I've got my policy adapted to say I can do any appearance mods at no extra cost, as now they don't care, and can't charge an Admin fee for it, so just told me do whatever and let us know. Spoiler however doesn't class as an app mod, and is a performance mod to them, as is a tune. :thumbsup:

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have coilovers. However i was the same as you, they flatout refused springs. Coilovers they were fine with as they're adjustable, and are safer for the car, it shocked me when i asked them.

Trust me, Directline is not a case of one time ask, it takes me a good 4-5 phone calls on average to different handlers to get a mod passed through.

I've got my policy adapted to say I can do any appearance mods at no extra cost, as now they don't care, and can't charge an Admin fee for it, so just told me do whatever and let us know. Spoiler however doesn't class as an app mod, and is a performance mod to them, as is a tune. :thumbsup:
Appreciate the advice!
Maybe coilovers are the answer.. :p

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I'm with esure.

When I originally got a quote it was £210, but when the car actually arrived it cost me over £400. I can only assume this is due to cars sliding off the road and making claims??

I guess this will affect mods too??

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Steering wheel! you get loaded for the steering wheel.

It's the same as OE but with some extra padding and better leather/suede.

Bloody joke especially as the person at the call centre doesn't even know what V8 means let alone CAI or quick shifter.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Steering wheel! you get loaded for the steering wheel.

It's the same as OE but with some extra padding and better leather/suede.

Bloody joke especially as the person at the call centre doesn't even know what V8 means let alone CAI or quick shifter.
Use their stupidity to your advantage. :)
Sponsored