Sponsored

Anyone using unleashed tune?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Does unleashed still have that lean spot between 2k-3k with the LTs?
No clue. I think that is hearsay or FUD that is overblown in social media due to lack of datalogging (or incorrect datalogging by not using the proper PIDS/Parameters) amongst individuals. Those BBK crush gaskets and flimsy 2 bolt ball flanges are also prone to leaking which could easily cause lean spot between 2k-3k. It could easily be a user issue vs. a tuner issue. The 3.7 isn't some exotic one off engine that has a magical lean spot that is tough to tune for. Torrie has tuned for a bunch of long tube header cars across different platforms with no issues. The main culprit for that is guys running generic o2 wiring extenders which get filled with moisture or ones with improper pinouts which screws with fueling not the tune itself. If I decided to go long tubes I would definitely drill and weld new bungs in the stock locations to avoid issues from running extended wires that are incorrect for our application. This issue has been documented in the S197 community and most just go back to shorties to avoid the headaches of getting long tubes to work correctly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

scooter550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang in Comp Orange
I use Unleashed Tunes.
The 91 Octane does pull harder than the 87 Octane, but that's what I would expect.
I am very happy with the tunes and customer service.

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
how does one get a hold of unleashed tuning? lol

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm late to the V6 party but yes, I got an Unleashed Tune. The Ford tune was pathetic - massive rev hang, I couldn't shift my MT without reading a chapter of War and Peace between shifts, lethargic motor, would sign off at around 4000 rpm and take it's sweet time trundling up to redline.

The 93 octane preloaded tune on the SCT device I bought from Unleashed was clearly designed for AT cars or so I'm assuming. There was a very noticeable and annoying as hell step in the throttle early on. I would cross that threshold right where I would be feeding in the clutch. Driving the car was a chore and made me look like a total noob. If you had an AT and wanted to get a shove in the ass when leaving the stop-light I'm sure it was "cool". On a MT is was hell.

I wrote Torrie a very frank assessment and asked him for a custom tune making sure that ALL throttle curves need to be (or at least feel/behave as if) linear or
smooth - absolutely NO step functions and that the engine rpm MUST come down and quickly when the throttle is at zero. Initial throttle rates can be
somewhat steeper than factory, with a rising rate curve or significantly
steeper rate(s) acceptable above 60% throttle.

3hrs later he sent me a tune. I've logged about an hour driving it so far in traffic, on highway, around and around a 4-leaf interchange that is very bumpy, and tight, twisty 2-lane road.

HOLY HECK!! I had to check the VIN to make sure somebody didn't steal my old car. Talk about FANTASTIC throttle connection, an engine that pulls to redline like it really wants to get there, and shifts done as fast as I can manage them and the engine RPM is bang on every time.

I don't have experience with any other tuning outfit (yet) but wowza, Unleashed as impressed the heck out of me!

I can't believe Ford did such an rotten job with the factory tune. No wonder people pan the V6 - it's total ass! If you haven't had your throttle and fuel remapped, DO IT NOW.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford tune was pathetic - massive rev hang, I couldn't shift my MT without reading a chapter of War and Peace between shifts, lethargic motor, would sign off at around 4000 rpm and take it's sweet time trundling up to redline.

I can't believe Ford did such an rotten job with the factory tune. No wonder people pan the V6 - it's total ass!
I don't think your experience is the norm with the V6. I get the rev hang when in sport mode (mine is an auto), but it pulls hard to the redline. No falloff after 4,000 rpm. I have no tune.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a '17 AT with a mere 7000 miles on it and it didn't seem near as bad. Though I suspect the AT masks a lot of the nonsense. Does yours pull to redline in 3rd or higher gear? 1st/2nd don't really count.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a '17 AT with a mere 7000 miles on it and it didn't seem near as bad. Though I suspect the AT masks a lot of the nonsense. Does yours pull to redline in 3rd or higher gear? 1st/2nd don't really count.
Definitely 3rd. It's been awhile since I have gone fast enough to redline it in higher gears but I don't recall a big dropoff after 4k rpm.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday I drove back to back with another '17 V6 with 9800 miles and a god-awful "competition" axle-back and it manifested all the same pathologies as mine did before the Unleashed tune. Plant my foot and all it did was make noise, couldn't get out of it's own way. The rev hang was modestly better than mine had been (I expect the reduction in back pressure was a factor) but still remained a hindrance to timely shifting.That's 3 different '17 with the same problems. If you still have the factory tune on a V6 with 6MT you definitely owe it to yourself to get it fixed. I stand by my previous assertion: the Ford tune is utter shite. I can now drive the V6 like I do the V8 although the GT has an unfair advantage in it's 3.73 rears and makes power effortlessly whereas you can tell the V6 is working a lot harder. But at least it's working.

I did some datalogging on my car which I'm going to send along.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The auto tune wasn't noticeably bad for me originally, but my MPT tune feels way better than stock ever did. Once you put 3.73s on the V6, feels even better! I do have an issue where if I'm going above 90 and try to go WOT, nothing happens (in Auto) and can't figure it out with MPT either (not sure if its a trans issue or just something I have to deal with).

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
... a god-awful "competition" axle-back....
Drone? Some of the sound clip videos of those don't sound too bad from the outside, but some have reported significant drone with them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
my ears and head hurt within 10 minutes. Trying to remember but pretty sure it was Magnaflow going by pictures on AmericanMuscle.

Last edited:

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The Competition is Magnaflow. The Flowmasters are apparently just as bad, though. The Borlas seem to be the only ones that don't drone.
Sponsored