Sponsored

Paint protection film vs Ceramic coating?

87IROCZOWNER69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost and 1987 IROC-Z
If you can afford a full ppf then that's absolutely the best way to go. You can even get cquartz on top of ppf. Get the car fully paint corrected and you'll have a show stopper.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
60k for a GT??

I use Klasse sealer glaze. I don't know if I've had any chips since I've applied it. Maybe one? I can tell you, the last time I put it on was november and it was getting dark and I missed a spot on the polish. It left a faint streak on the lower rear bumper area. That streak is still there. It has not washed off in 10 months. I find that impressive.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
CQUartz UK

I used the CQuartz UK, formulated for wetter climates. Am over the top happy with the results! It's a Ceramic Coating that ones to the clear coat to create a Glass finish! On Black it's incredible!! No swirls, light scratches just shine. reload kicks up the deep shine another notch after using! Hydrophobic! Did the wheels as well, hose off brake dust! Bird crap wont stick to it!!

Check it out.....after my paint correction including some light 3000 grit wet sanding !!

IMG_2232.JPG

Reactions: A7X

ronriv92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT California Special
Hey guys I just recently bought a new Mustang GT/CS 2017 and I wanted to know what you guys use to keep the interior an exterior looking nice and clean. I can take it to the dealership and get it detailed but that would get expensive.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I just recently bought a new Mustang GT/CS 2017 and I wanted to know what you guys use to keep the interior an exterior looking nice and clean. I can take it to the dealership and get it detailed but that would get expensive.
I'd go over to autogeek and start watching some videos.

Sponsored

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Don't do it. Once you go down this rabbit hole you're not coming back :D
agreed, do not do this....you will end up with a pc/then a gg6, the something from rupes. Add $500 in polishes and you will be complete. I have duragloss enviroshield on mine and it won't stop chips either. PPF will, but man is it expensive.

I just use DR colorchips to fill in my scratches and chips and move on.

Drek08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
'17 mustang GT PP
Ceramic coating will not protect against rock chips, best bet for thag is applying the film then ceramic over that and the rest of the car

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have any of you tried installing one of those PPF kits yourselves? I got a quote from a place and they want to $465 just for front bumper. I can get the bumper repainted at a reputable shop for $400.

1blkpny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT premium
Have any of you tried installing one of those PPF kits yourselves? I got a quote from a place and they want to $465 just for front bumper. I can get the bumper repainted at a reputable shop for $400.
Yes you probably can but then you get another round of chips and back to the paint shop. Cover it and be done.

Sponsored

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No one will believe me but I am just putting this out there. If you buy a kit online you'll spend say, $150-$200 on a bumper kit in a good quality film (xpel, suntek, 3m pro), and I can promise you with 100% certainty you will waste that film. Applying PPF POORLY is not easy, applying it properly takes years, and years, of experience. Find a good installer, pay to have it done properly, and enjoy your car.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
No one will believe me but I am just putting this out there. If you buy a kit online you'll spend say, $150-$200 on a bumper kit in a good quality film (xpel, suntek, 3m pro), and I can promise you with 100% certainty you will waste that film. Applying PPF POORLY is not easy, applying it properly takes years, and years, of experience. Find a good installer, pay to have it done properly, and enjoy your car.
I installed a DIY 3m pro kit and it came out reasonably well. The bumper is definitely the hardest part, and I did not have the best place to do it.

I just got the car back from having xpel ultimate put on, because hail damage/ insurance. They did a decent job, with one exception that I may go back and have fixed on the hood louvers. When they found out I did the bumper/lights/mirror, they were impressed that I did it.

I have a thread here on it.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Vacuum and Nexzett Cockpit Premium for the interior. Don't see a reason to get more complicated than that.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Been trying to figure this out as well.

But you cannot really do a "protective film vs ceramic coat" the fact people suggest you could also do both means they protect your car in two completely different ways.

Protective film is for preventing damage indentical to how your phone screen protector works albeit much more advanced.

Ceramic coating is for putting a very nice looking glass coating ontop of the paint meaning it won't really react to anything chemically and since it has nearly zero imperfections on the surface makes it very easy to keep clean.

Ill have to do some research but on any nice car it sounds like a ceramic coating will always be worth it and price wise it's not that bad if you factor in the price of the car.

Looking at a protective film only front coverage seems logical to me, anything more seems overkill looking at the price. Small damage from every day use should be pretty cheap to fix compared to covering the whole car with film.

Diffcult to decide something like this :)

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Been trying to figure this out as well.

But you cannot really do a "protective film vs ceramic coat" the fact people suggest you could also do both means they protect your car in two completely different ways.

Protective film is for preventing damage indentical to how your phone screen protector works albeit much more advanced.

Ceramic coating is for putting a very nice looking glass coating ontop of the paint meaning it won't really react to anything chemically and since it has nearly zero imperfections on the surface makes it very easy to keep clean.

Ill have to do some research but on any nice car it sounds like a ceramic coating will always be worth it and price wise it's not that bad if you factor in the price of the car.

Looking at a protective film only front coverage seems logical to me, anything more seems overkill looking at the price. Small damage from every day use should be pretty cheap to fix compared to covering the whole car with film.

Diffcult to decide something like this :)
I felt the same way. Ended up getting a partial nose done, the applying CQuartz to the rest of the car myself. I feel like I got the best of the protection/cost equation.
Sponsored

Last edited: