SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Ive been experimenting with mine the last couple of days (mainly because I couldnt be arsed to take the boot to pieces again)!!

At least in my car, the audio seems to make no difference. Its more 'time related' if that makes sense....

Ive done complete journeys with the stereo both on/off and everytime they start to go haywire after approx 20-25mins.

Ive also found that just a few minutes later they will often go back to being OK again.

Always the sub-woofer side that fails (not reversed in a RHD car I believe?).

Has anyone tried wrapping the resistor pack in aluminium foil or similar, to see if it will shield it from whatever EM interference is causing the issue?
EPM suggested I wrap the metal bodies in insulating tape. Made no difference. For me it was the sub side that failed first then both sides went. Would return to working following an ignition-off stop.
Sponsored

mandat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - Magnetic
HI JWR

I see that a lot of failures are being reported on the new units.

I haven't received mine yet, therefore I can't comment yet. Can you let me know if mine have been sent out to me yet?

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Latest news chaps

a new batch are being sent to me , these are believed to fix the previous problems , we will be testing for EPM to make sure that seems to be the case

I believe my shipment will leave in the next day or so by UPS so should only be a few days before I see them

I think its prudent to test them for a couple of days at least , I may also contact one of you unfortunate owners to have had the previous failed units to test alongside me so we can see how they go on varying models / usage etc

if both of those are a success we will replace any other faulty units that we have directly supplied (anyone who bought from EPM before we got involved will need to contact them for replacements once we know they work)

here's the latest tech news on the fix from EPM

1. ROM was set at default 0.8V operating voltage. At lower transient voltage, it is susceptible to interference. Now changed to 4.5V. At higher voltage, the EMC or voltage spike generated from the subwoofer should not cause problem in its operation. <-- need your test to finally confirm this. We are confident about this however.
2. Reprogrammed the software completely. Reading from 256 ROM locations (255 backup positions) instead of just 1. And ROM writing is removed, stopping the faulty units getting progressively worse.
3. Increased one input Capacitor.

So fingers crossed everyone , we could be nearing the end of this issue and renewed confidence in the EPM sequencers that were previously evident in V1 and V2 variants

cheers

Jason :)

mandat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - Magnetic
Thanks JWR. That sounds promising.

I presume that I will be receiving one of the latest batch of units, seeing as I haven't yet received anything since my order last month?

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Thanks JWR. That sounds promising.

I presume that I will be receiving one of the latest batch of units, seeing as I haven't yet received anything since my order last month?
correct

keep an eye on this thread as I update everyone with news

when we tested the last batch only 4 sets tested good (then failed later) so you probably just missed out

this new batch are modified whereas the last batch were the same as the others that had previously been sent so I should have all 10 being good if all goes to plan and be able to supply everyone who missed out plus replace the faulty units

cheers

Jason :)

Sponsored

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi Gents,

This is a really long thread :) that I just saw now. We have found the root cause of how the subwoofer is affecting the operations of the sequencers. A revised testing batch shall arrive early next week in UK. Fingers crossed that they shall work flawlessly next to the subwoofers. Thanks to all of those patient UK customers and apologies to any inconvenience and hustle caused. And a great thank you to [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] for their continuous trust and support.

We have improved quite a few places in the programs and configuration inside. And have done robustness tests in our labs for more than 100k blinks on our 2 tests tail lights. Not one single missed blink/brake or failed ROM read. And btw, the used chipset and quality of the PCB are top notch, the problem really stems from intermittent faults trigger only in a certain condition. We won't able to trigger that during our RND, prototype testing and QC phases unfortunately. This is really the worst kind of faults. I guess this was a lesson for introducing extra complexity in an already mature product. But we don't feel like backing down to older models. We will persevere and make them work.

Now waiting for the UK test which felt like a final exam...

Cheers
Ray

Last edited:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Hi [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] [MENTION=29978]ExoticPonyMods[/MENTION]

First, good that you guys continue to update the thread, I sincerely hope the next batch are going to be good.

I meant to post this on Monday, but it slipped my mind.

As I mentioned, I had been running the units (with the active fault) to see if there was any kind of pattern. At first I thought it was always the sub-woofer side that failed, perhaps followed by the opposite side later on. And originally if you re-started the car, they would go back to working again for a while.

However on Sunday (during a car event) the faults became rapidly much, much worse than they had been, and interestingly this time it was the non-sub side which played up first, followed a few (indicator uses) later by the sub-side.

This time no amount of resetting or restarting the car would cure it, they really had gone in to full meltdown mode. So it seems like its a cascading problem that gets exponentially worse the more the units are in use.

What I would like to point out to people here, because it cant be said clearly enough.

*** If your units are playing up, YOU HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS! ***

Eventually, even when NOT indicating, I had no brake lights. Just the high central one. This is obviously a safety concern, so id encourage anyone else running the V3 from the faulty batch to remove them from the car ASAP.

Looking forward to receiving my revised units, as when they work - they are great :thumbsup:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
[MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION]

Hello chaps.

Been almost two weeks since the last update.

How are we progressing on this?

Thanks.

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION]

Hello chaps.

Been almost two weeks since the last update.

How are we progressing on this?

Thanks.
Hi guys,

We have concluded the tests with the help of [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION]. JWR has been moving premises but still managed to do very thorough warehouse tests and multiple road tests in different conditions. And we in term has made some additional changes and verifications. It was slightly delayed, but outcome was very satisfactory.

We will claim that the new versions of the sequencers are fully compatible with UK/EURO mustangs with or without Subwoofers.

They have already gone into productions as we speak and expecting production of 3.2 versions to be completed 4th week of OCT.

It has been such a journey, we thank all those very friendly customers for your trust and patience.

I will make a video later on to explain the details of root causes for those of you that might be interested. It was quite interesting.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
[MENTION=29978]ExoticPonyMods[/MENTION] [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION]

Thanks for the update.

I am little confused. I thought there was a batch due in the UK (now) that was fixed and good to go? Is that no longer the case?

Is it the case that we are now waiting for a batch to be made in 4th week October?

Im guessing that means delivery to customers Jan of 18?

Ive got to be honest, having ordered and paid for these beginning of August, its getting to the point where id rather just have my money back :(

Sponsored

ExoticPonyMods

Threads
Reaction score
Website
exoticponymods.com
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=29978]ExoticPonyMods[/MENTION] [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION]

Thanks for the update.

I am little confused. I thought there was a batch due in the UK (now) that was fixed and good to go? Is that no longer the case?

Is it the case that we are now waiting for a batch to be made in 4th week October?

Im guessing that means delivery to customers Jan of 18?

Ive got to be honest, having ordered and paid for these beginning of August, its getting to the point where id rather just have my money back :(
New batch will be ready end of OCT not Jan 18, mate. We have worked tirelessly around the clock and did everything as fast as we could.

We have put so much effort to make this work for the UK/EURO markets. I have myself felt helpless a few times, but we have persevered and lights are at the end of the tunnel.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Ok, if you reckon delivery to customers is end October I'll stick with it.

Cheers

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Re reading this thread with a lot of interest. More excitement came after a look around on the epm website, some great work!

I'm not one of the early adopter types, so not really paid too much attention to this whole subject so far but will certainly keep tabs on it now.

Can someone (@jwr ?) explain how the service is planned to work in the UK? Keen to know more...

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Any news or updates on these sequencers and LED boards?
I'm also wondering if you install the LED boards for the tails, do you still need the sequencer modules and if so do they work the same to revert to the stock settings? Thx

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Hi peeps

apologies if ive been a little quiet in general on the forum , been moving premises

we are now in and battling through the normal problems with BT , sparkies re wiring the building so we can use our ramps etc and other typical logistics involved in a move

ramps are working , dyno still a few weeks off and the rest will be over the next six months as we get organised !

on respect to the EPM rear sequencers we do have some good news and just require a little more patience

the kits were being put together as 2 mode variant for UK / EU cars and 3 mode for ROW , but this has been changed now and everyone will be getting the 3 mode kits

EPM expect to ship to us on or around the 23rd October and as soon as we get the lamps we will ship to anyone waiting

if you are one of the group of people that bought from us (not EPM direct) and had faulty units delivered before by us , do e mail us direct on [email protected] with your upto date details and delivery address so we can replace your faulty units

any one else thinking of buying, now is the time to get the order in , we will have goods stocks when they arrive but doe expect them to sell fast

you can find the item here on our website http://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/11463/5059/mustang_gt___ecoboost_tail_light_sequencers_2015_

cheers

Jason
Sponsored