OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
Buy a Borla ATAK. Best sounding exhaust there is. May know someone with one for sale in the near future ��
I heard Shep's at the Craven Arms last week, lovely but too much for my situation thanks. I'm taking Manders' advice and going ahead, nothing to lose but earache, and I don't mean from the system
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I heard Shep's at the Craven Arms last week, lovely but too much for my situation thanks. I'm taking Manders' advice and going ahead, nothing to lose but earache, and I don't mean from the system
[MENTION=26917]sheps5.0[/MENTION] is Borla Atak and then some, with his headers obviously, it's batshit crazy loud :lol:! Saw him on Saturday and heard him a mile off... Could hear him over running traffic starting the car up :lol:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Buy a Borla ATAK. Best sounding exhaust there is. May know someone with one for sale in the near future ��
The ATAK is a lovely sounding system, but as a stand alone. Just like the Corsa Extreme sounds lovely.

The problem with both those systems is once you add headers it turns into a screaming match rather than something that has tone and sounds lovely. As much as I love Sheps car its just pure loud without tone as headers just turn it into a shouting match, of course to some people ears it sounds glorious.

Noise is interpreted different to everyone, why there are so many different sounding headsets on the market, one mans heaven is another mans hell.

If you don't plan on headers the Borla ATAK and Corsa Extreme are lovely sounding, just be careful with Corsa as their sound cancellation technology is so good inside the cabin you really can be miss lead into thinking the exhaust is not that loud, but trust me it is very loud, even the sport system. So if you want loud outside but quiet inside, Corsa are great options, if you want a little more noise inside the cabin makes Borla a great option too. :)

What I can report is the Corsa systems are 100% drone free, the Borla/FRPP stuff I believe is also the same but having owned both Corsa setups I can confirm they have ZERO drone.

KevD

0-60 Instructor Team DS.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bob
Vehicle(s)
balls
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]SmRtIvAw3LI[/MEDIA]"]

Dream Science.

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
I settled on the Solo Mach XV Catback, although it has an x-pipe, it still sounds quite old school muscle car and a lot less raspy than most other systems IMO.

Sponsored

wuzie123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
i have gone for the Mishimoto H-pipe with the Race muffler delete should be nice and deep and naughty.... :D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corsa Extreme

[ame]

I love the sound, its definetely got a rasp when proper on it at higher RPM, but I really love the sound. :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that your brakes at 2:40 Andy?
Yeah man when hot they make that noise, noticed it since fitting get them really hot and I get that what can only be describe as clicking or air pulsing. Checked them all seems fine, so its either the grooves on the disc or something a-miss somewhere but cannot see anything out of place at all.

Unless with heat something is expanding to touch, like maybe the bolts that hold disc to hat against rear caliper bracket. As I do believe it is the rears as I recall no noises from fronts, was only once rears were on. I suppose a quick thing I could try would be to sand a little of the underside of the rear caliper bracket as of course that overhangs the hat/bell bolt heads and the gap is literally 1-2mm so very close and maybe when its all hot, expanded then they are close enough to cause the noise. What you reckon?

But it definitely sounds like something rotational is touching somewhere but only when applying brakes, which maybe rules out hat bolts touching caliper braket?

P.S. I just took a black permament market to the hat bolts, my theory is if touching slightly the marker will get rubbed off.

Last edited:

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
P.S. I just took a black permament market to the hat bolts, my theory is if touching slightly the marker will get rubbed off.
Good shout I reckon. If it's only happening when they're hot then definitely sounds like thermal expansion of something is causing the issue. See if you can see any witness marks (though I expect you've already done that :) ). Could only be one side too?

Have you got 'c' grooves in your rotors? Could possibly be gas trapping in them and releasing - but never heard a car do that before with them fitted??

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good shout I reckon. If it's only happening when they're hot then definitely sounds like thermal expansion of something is causing the issue. See if you can see any witness marks (though I expect you've already done that :) ). Could only be one side too?

Yeah I think its the passenger side, seems more prominment on that side in the video but that could also be due to being closer to the wall so it naturally echo's.

Yeah checked for witness marks on the bolts, compared to the fronts they were maybe marginally more shiny, but very marginal.

Will see if the black marker pen seems to rub off after drive home and I will pull a wheel off to see if any marking on inside of caliper brackets as they did get painting green so in theory if there is contact the paint should of got removed.

Unless the only other thing is the washers on the bolts catch the pad somehow but can't see that happening but shall inspect pads for any marking.

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
I've been looking for a low cost option to improve the exhaust note of my car which is currently stock. I have been given an x-pipe off a Borla cat- back which I'm considering using in place of the central stock resonator. Does anyone have any experience of what this will sound like with stock back boxes please? eg loudness, tone, any drone? Thanks
Just to confuse more I have a h pipe fitted £88 from cjpony and rest of exhaust stock gives me a little rumble and I am quite happy with it , have no drone either .
Was simple to fit unclamp exhaust system cut resonator of clamp on h or x pipe refit exhaust done in a hour , no welding or adding extra bits .

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Have you got 'c' grooves in your rotors? Could possibly be gas trapping in them and releasing - but never heard a car do that before with them fitted??
[MENTION=18440]stiggy[/MENTION]

OK tried to replicate the noise on way home, only seems to happen under heavy braking from high speeds, seems clamping force related. Decided to pop round my uncles for a beer, had a look at the nuts, the black marker still present, no witness marks. As such were forming the conclusion the noise is simply from the hooks in the disc which would make sense as it seems brake pressure related and I do recall once have grooved disc on a car and under heavy braking that too made such a noise.

I shall at weekend just to be ultra cautious actually get a wheel off and thoroughly inspect all around just to make sure no tell tale witness marks but it seems logical that its the hooks in the disc, my uncle who is a mechanic by trade felt the hooks and said they are rough to clean the pad surface and that will indeed make noise under heavy braking, but aid cooling and help prevent deposits.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Youtube will show up just about every option under the sun, if you search hard enough.

But what ive noticed over the years is that unless the video has been recorded with a very high quality microphone, both the tone and volume of recorded exhausts can be a long way from reality, and its next to impossible to compare one to the other.

Suck it and see (on the back of informed opinion) is about the best you can hope for.

Personally, I now run a Ford Racing X pipe to std. OEM rear mufflers with a set of remote control valves inbetween. In quiet mode, it really is v. quiet indeed... but the valves I use reduce the volume further over OEM due to the way the gas is routed.

In loud mode, its open pipes..... so you can imagine :)

The general wisdom/reality is that an X pipe will add a little bit of volume, and make a nicer tone, albeit with a bit of rasp at higher revs. How much rasp is dependent on quality/design/manufacture.

NB: Some cheap X and H pipes are awful. Check the thread on these boards about the bargain CJPP crossover pipes. (Made in China) and the internal opening for the crossover was about the size of a fingernail. Total junk.

If you want the tone, but are worried about the volume I can also highly recommend the Magnaflow Tru-X series X pipes. Its a resonated X, and now offered in direct fitment from CJPP.

This is my valved system - you can check out the closed mode for a rough idea on what to expect:

[ame]
Sponsored