Sponsored

Resonator delete

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
I've been looking for a low cost option to improve the exhaust note of my car which is currently stock. I have been given an x-pipe off a Borla cat- back which I'm considering using in place of the central stock resonator. Does anyone have any experience of what this will sound like with stock back boxes please? eg loudness, tone, any drone? Thanks
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
X pipe - raspy
H Pipe - deep burble

If that helps with sounds. I think [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] have some H pipes they want to sell. They're UPR ones so same pipe size as stock, rather than going 2.5" (Stock headers) to 3" H pipe, back to 2.5" back pipes.

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
X pipe - raspy
H Pipe - deep burble

If that helps with sounds. I think [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] have some H pipes they want to sell. They're UPR ones so same pipe size as stock, rather than going 2.5" (Stock headers) to 3" H pipe, back to 2.5" back pipes.
I know that's the received wisdom but I'm interested in anyone who's actually done it. If I was buying I would have fitted a Borla axleback but this x-pipe has been given to me and is a much more economical option even though it will require some pipes to be fabricated as it is much smaller than the resonator.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
X pipe - raspy
H Pipe - deep burble

If that helps with sounds. I think @MustangMustHaves have some H pipes they want to sell. They're UPR ones so same pipe size as stock, rather than going 2.5" (Stock headers) to 3" H pipe, back to 2.5" back pipes.

ignore mini manders he's wrong :) xpipes don't sound raspy at all if they're good quality.

Just fitting an X with standard back boxes will make it sound a little grumblier and v8 ish when you put your foot down but it will still be nice and quiet on cold start etc and when off power it'll sound almost stock. Its what I did at first before I eventually made a full system sounded OK but still not quite enough.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
ignore mini manders he's wrong :) xpipes don't sound raspy at all if they're good quality.

Just fitting an X with standard back boxes will make it sound a little grumblier and v8 ish when you put your foot down but it will still be nice and quiet on cold start etc and when off power it'll sound almost stock.
Every one I've heard sounds raspy :lol::lol:. I'm yet to hear an Xpipe that sounds like old school deep burbly muscle noise. They just sound like nascar :lol:

(no Mini manders as of yet)

Sponsored

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

Just fitting an X with standard back boxes will make it sound a little grumblier and v8 ish when you put your foot down but it will still be nice and quiet on cold start etc and when off power it'll sound almost stock.
That's exactly what I'm looking for

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Every one I've heard sounds raspy :lol::lol:. I'm yet to hear an Xpipe that sounds like old school deep burbly muscle noise. They just sound like nascar :lol:

(no Mini manders as of yet)

look harder :) small xpipes sound raspy proper ones don't

[ame]

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
look harder :) small xpipes sound raspy proper ones don't

Now I'm confused again, what do you mean by small? This is directly off a Borla Sport catback, the owner having just changed to an H-PIPE, not because it's raspy as such but to get more burble. The item itself is smaller than a proprietary resonator delete x-pipe which fits straight in and this one will require extra pipes welding at both sides to fit the gap left.

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Modurstang will be doing the job so it will be a quality end result

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
That sounded pretty raspy to me when you gave it a bigger stab. ;)

Manders is correct:
X-pipe: Scavenging effect to speed up gasses output at higher RPM, the trade off can be a more raspier sound at higher RPM, this is not necessarily bad as a well executed X-pipe setup sounds glorious at all throttle ranges. They also generally drone less.

H-Pipe: Has more a pulsating effect, that helps with maintaining a single monotune throughout the rev range, as such less rasp, though I've heard raspy H-pipes too. They can however be more prone to drone at heavy low RPM throttle load (high gear, heavy throttle).

You are correct however quality of the system is a big factor and actually the part having the most impact on the sound is the axle back, mufflers, these play a much bigger role. Perfect example is Corsa touring axle back VS Corsa sport axle back or the full sport vs extreme system. Both X-pipes (doube X actually) but the Sport is very monotone setup with little to zero rasp and is loud. The extreme on the other hand has a different sound at low RPM, low throttle it is very deep, gurgles, growls and just sounds dirty/naughty, it is always loud in a nice way and turns heads all the time. Then the extreme goes from loud, to FUCKING INSANELY LOUD the moment you stomp it, it also has a very unique rasp sound, its more an AMG type sound or as others at a recent track day put it, fighter plane noise. In fact it sounded so good a guy who heard it on youtube has ordered one. Also the axle back design has the biggest impact on drone as well, plus always make sure your exhaust tips are exiting as far back as possible to limit drone and cabin noise.

H vs X do impact sound, but the axle back has more of an impact on the sound, as to power the difference is not worth worrying about but typically an X might seem to rev a little more easily at top-end but I reckon you'd never notice.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
thats the mic on the phone peaking as its so loud put it this way in person its less raspy than most hpipe setups.
[MENTION=21614]SteveyB[/MENTION] by size I mean the size of the cross over point (hole between the 2 pipes larger = deeper) the borla's tend to sound pretty glorious when on full systems tbh so I would assume their xpipe should be a good quality part.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
just as an idea too the whole system on mine cost about £400 installed

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
So in short... I think people need to hear exhausts in person before hearing anything.

For those who've done just a midpipe replace (Resonator delete), I think one guy on the FB groups did, and then he replaced the whole exhaust with a custom one. So, it's really up to you, what you do, how you do it etc. There's some extremely good catback systems that are non intrusive and sound good. There's also some catback systems which sound like hell inside of the car :lol:

Best option is just say eff it, test it out, find out if you like it. If you don't - buy a full system ;)!