Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost VS Dodge Charger SXT

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I had an 2008 RT charger it was my first taste at V8 muscle. It was a decent car but being only an auto I would never get one again. I always wondered why a manual wasn't even an option. If they ever did bring a manual in I'd strongly consider it.
That 5 speed was a shoddy automatic. The ZF8 is seriously about 90% of a well tuned dual clutch auto.

And it wasn't an option in the Charger because they wouldn't sell any. It was a family sedan for what it was worth with a lot of get up. Even with an auto, Dodge pushed less Scat Pack Chargers than Ford did GT350's, to tell you how niche that American performance sedan market is.
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I had an 2008 RT charger it was my first taste at V8 muscle. It was a decent car but being only an auto I would never get one again. I always wondered why a manual wasn't even an option. If they ever did bring a manual in I'd strongly consider it.
Yup when I was just looking, that was the ONLY thing keeping me out of a charger. No manual.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
That 5 speed was a shoddy automatic. The ZF8 is seriously about 90% of a well tuned dual clutch auto.

And it wasn't an option in the Charger because they wouldn't sell any. It was a family sedan for what it was worth with a lot of get up. Even with an auto, Dodge pushed less Scat Pack Chargers than Ford did GT350's, to tell you how niche that American performance sedan market is.
The don't nearly as many since its auto only. People like having the ability to row gears. They should have the same model as the challengers. V6 only auto and manual options of the RTs and SRT model. Hell they make manual darts don't see why they couldn't make a manual Charger.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
The don't nearly as many since its auto only. People like having the ability to row gears. They should have the same model as the challengers. V6 only auto and manual options of the RTs and SRT model. Hell they make manual darts don't see why they couldn't make a manual Charger.
Manual cars are ever declining. Most manufacturers are doing away with them. The SS sedan was offered with a manual and of course the die hards bought it, but still didn't sell a ton. People don't like the idea of rowing gears, certain enthusiasts do. Those enthusiasts aren't buying every manual car and therefore the sales continue to decline.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Manual cars are ever declining. Most manufacturers are doing away with them. The SS sedan was offered with a manual and of course the die hards bought it, but still didn't sell a ton. People don't like the idea of rowing gears, certain enthusiasts do. Those enthusiasts aren't buying every manual car and therefore the sales continue to decline.
That's exactly why I'm considering an auto if I decide to buy an '18. I prefer to row my own, and the autos haven't been that good in the past, but the 10-speed sounds like it's right there for performance, and it would be easier to sell later if I want.

Sponsored

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
So I will say I read an article a few years back when the hellcat charger came out. It discussed how there was no manual option on the charger. Basically it boils down to what everyone mentioned that there isn't enough demand. But what I remember learning at the time was how much additional work was required from Dodge if they were to make a manual option. The biggest thing I remember was that the transmission tunnel would have to be completely redesigned as it was only designed for the auto. This would require lots of engineering hours, extensive FEA modeling, and they would have to crash test the new design separately. I bet a lot of people would probably think oh just draw the hole bigger and your good but unfortunately the cost to do all the engineering and paperwork and testing for that larger hole is prohibitively expensive.

I believe the option of a manual version of a vehicle is usually for the purpose of having a cheaper trim level to make the car available to a wider market. That would explain why the dart has a manual option but not the charger....it's a cheaper car.

Unfortunately manuals are dying off and someday when we the only new vehicles are electric there probably won't be an option for manual transmissions anymore. At least not a "real" one. I think it's a sad thing but also think it's happening slower globally than most Americans realize. I truly believe if more Americans drove manual it would significantly reduce distracted driving, as it did for me. I also want to point out that outside the U.S. of A. Manual transmissions are far more prevelant so we still have a while before they are dead which makes me believe electric cars will be the true death of the manual not just improved automatics.

[/Novel]

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Also there are at least 5 SS sedans around me. There are 3 Holden badge swapped ones I see monthly at C&C, and 2 I see frequently out in public that look completely stock.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Also there are at least 5 SS sedans around me. There are 3 Holden badge swapped ones I see monthly at C&C, and 2 I see frequently out in public that look completely stock.
I came from a G8 GT and still keep in touch with a lot of the community, a lot have went with SS sedans. I almost bought one but they discontinued Jungle Green and I couldn't stomach the price. As well as my prior dealings with GM let me down. I personally think the Charger looks better anyway. Thought you can't go wrong with either one.

Also this thread is surprising, it's actually civil.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
I came from a G8 GT and still keep in touch with a lot of the community, a lot have went with SS sedans. I almost bought one but they discontinued Jungle Green and I couldn't stomach the price. As well as my prior dealings with GM let me down. I personally think the Charger looks better anyway. Thought you can't go wrong with either one.

Also this thread is surprising, it's actually civil.
Maybe the civility is due to the thread we had to read upon log in for no intermodel bashing.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Maybe the civility is due to the thread we had to read upon log in for no intermodel bashing.
Because it is a decent thread the OP is not trying to troll and the information is fair. What would you expect from a thread like " Test drove _______ and not impressed". Comparison threads usually don't turn out well because people are going to get :paddle:. Though the big EB v GT thread (which are made to troll 100% of the time) got deleted so I think they are finally enforcing the rules. It sounded like they were just cracking down on anything negative about the 18+ cars as a lot of people do not seem to like the front of the car and the thread is getting spammed with it. Really hope they crack down on the 15-17 complaining, engine bashing, intermodel bashing, option bashing and go after blatant troll threads etc...comparisons are okay but a lot of posts need to go as they add nothing to the community except negativity.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ah...no they don't. You and I like to have that ability to. The average buyer, even performance sedan buyers, don't. That is the reality of it like it or not. People like you and I are very much market outliers. That's why we're talking about it. Take it a step further, they don't want AMERICAN performance sedans even as much as we scream bloody murder about the Chevy SS going away, that is so niche that the niche just screams that loud.
Sponsored