exhaust decision

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
So I was able to install the Borla ATAK Cat back system this weekend. My initial impressions are I was very disappointed. It's very quiet on idle, startup and below 3000 rpm. It only gets loud when you get on it. I blew up on 1300 bucks on this, should have just got the axle back version. Now maybe I need to get H or X-pipe and some headers/CAI.
Sponsored

SBLee29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang V6 w/051a
That's exactly why I got the axlebacks. Once I installed it I realized it wasn't loud enough so I cut out the resonator and put in a mishimoto h pipe. Now it's loud enough and the setup is cheaper than the cat back.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
So I was able to install the Borla ATAK Cat back system this weekend. My initial impressions are I was very disappointed. It's very quiet on idle, startup and below 3000 rpm. It only gets loud when you get on it. I blew up on 1300 bucks on this, should have just got the axle back version. Now maybe I need to get H or X-pipe and some headers/CAI.
Those ATAKs definitely shouldn't be quiet compared to stock. Nothing is going to make it sound like a V8. Simply removing the resonator will liven things up on any car. But I don't remember my 13 V6 having loud cold starts or anything like my GT and I also had ATAKs. The S197 V6 didn't have resonators either. But the ATAKs have always been the one of the most aggressive setups you can get before jumping up to headers.

nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
I'm following this post as I'm having a similar dilemma picking between those 2 as well for my 16 V6 convertible, except I'm look at the Borla Stinger or Touring. Having a convertible I don't want it to be too loud in the cabin that I can't have a phone conversation.

Anyone close to Charleston SC looking to sell a GT exhaust, keep me in mind, I'm interested

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Those ATAKs definitely shouldn't be quiet compared to stock. Nothing is going to make it sound like a V8. Simply removing the resonator will liven things up on any car. But I don't remember my 13 V6 having loud cold starts or anything like my GT and I also had ATAKs. The S197 V6 didn't have resonators either. But the ATAKs have always been the one of the most aggressive setups you can get before jumping up to headers.
Well, I know our V6 will never sound like a GT. But the ATAK's are very quiet below 3000 rpm. I don't know if got a defective exhaust or that's the way it's supposed to be. Anyway, I am looking at headers/resonator delete. Any opinions?

Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Well, I know our V6 will never sound like a GT. But the ATAK's are very quiet below 3000 rpm. I don't know if got a defective exhaust or that's the way it's supposed to be. Anyway, I am looking at headers/resonator delete. Any opinions?
If you got the catback it should have come with the resonator delete and an x pipe. The axlebacks will still use the stock resonator.

It doesn't get too much more aggressive than what you've got.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I have the atak catback also.That's why in each of these threads when people ask which Borla system to get I say if volume is your concern, then the ATAK is the way to go because sometimes it's even too quiet for me. But the thing is the car does sound deadening very well, so you don't get an accurate depiction of the volume while in the car. It's actually very loud when standing outside. It's not a loud idle exhaust system. That's pretty well documented. It only lets you know it's there when you're pressing on the gas. I personally love it for that.

edit: BTW guys, don't pay over $1000 for these systems. Shop around and get a deal because they're out there.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
If you got the catback it should have come with the resonator delete and an x pipe. The axlebacks will still use the stock resonator.

It doesn't get too much more aggressive than what you've got.
The ATAK for the V6 comes with a Borla resonator, not with resonator delete/pipes. Atleast I got mine like that.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
give the system time to break in. about 3000 miles. they always start quiet and liven up over the break in period. you delete the resonator and drone will be bad. trust me. this always way I like to build my own exhaust to get the sound I like.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
I mentioned the quiietness .... but yes h pipe definitely makes it louder with some headers too, x pipe quieted down. It the raspy 3k went away that the h pipe had

Sponsored

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
My understanding of the ATAK system is it's supposed to be quieter than the Stingers at idle but once you get on it the ATAKs are the loudest. I believe they talk about that in the American Muscle review videos.

nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
Would the ATAK system be too loud for a V6 convertible? I'm having this same debate on exhaust systems on which way to go. This is my daily driver, but I'd like for people to know I'm coming (much like my Harley that the Mustang replaced), but with the top up, I'd still like to be able to have a phone conversation.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Would the ATAK system be too loud for a V6 convertible? I'm having this same debate on exhaust systems on which way to go. This is my daily driver, but I'd like for people to know I'm coming (much like my Harley that the Mustang replaced), but with the top up, I'd still like to be able to have a phone conversation.
I can only say based on driving with the windows down in a coupe but if you drive tame you'll have no problem to have a phone convo.

OP
OP

Dwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 auto
So I ended up getting the Solo Performance catback, shipped fast and I got it installed this weekend, very easy install with the adjustable tips. It is excellent quality and sounds great, sounds like a old school muscle car at low rpm's with deep bass and an exotic sports car as the rpm's rise with a tone I really like.
Put about 100 miles on it so far and I'm very happy with it, even my wife likes it. :headbang:

nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
So I ended up getting the Solo Performance catback, shipped fast and I got it installed this weekend, very easy install with the adjustable tips. It is excellent quality and sounds great, sounds like a old school muscle car at low rpm's with deep bass and an exotic sports car as the rpm's rise with a tone I really like.
Put about 100 miles on it so far and I'm very happy with it, even my wife likes it. :headbang:
Any drone at highway cruising speed? I'm very interested in this system? Just curious did you buy direct from them? I saw they have them available on Amazon for $725, seems like a sweet deal.
Sponsored