Sponsored

Running E85 in an NA Cyclone

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Is anyone on E85? What's required to make the switch? Is it recommended for NA applications and would I see any gains? Would I be better of with a 93 tune?

I'm assuming I would need upgraded injectors but not sure what else would be necessary other than a tune of course.
Sponsored

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
Is anyone on E85? What's required to make the switch? Is it recommended for NA applications and would I see any gains? Would I be better of with a 93 tune?

I'm assuming I would need upgraded injectors but not sure what else would be necessary other than a tune of course.
Are you running any tune now?

E85 on NA build will not show significant gains over 93. According to MPT, no other modifications are necessary except for a tune.

OP
OP

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
No currently stock tune, E85 is pretty well available in my area so if there would be a significant gain over 93 id rather go directly for that. Figured I would at the least need upgraded injectors to run the extra fuel needed with E85.

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
No currently stock tune, E85 is pretty well available in my area so if there would be a significant gain over 93 id rather go directly for that. Figured I would at the least need upgraded injectors to run the extra fuel needed with E85.[/QUOTE

Friend has run E85 on 2013 3.7 with LT headers, Intake, TB, OR xpipe, Borla ATAK, stock injectors and stock spark plugs for 8 months+ with no issues

OP
OP

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
I currently have the GT catback and Roush intake. Stock headers because can't decide on longtube or shorty, and might do 11-14 gt throttle body.

Looking to tune soon but can't decide if I should stick to 93 or go E85, not having a lot of NA cyclones running e85 is putting me off a bit.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
You need 47 lb injectors and a flex fuel tune so you can run both 93 and e-85 without changing tunes in case you want to take a long trip outta your state where there is no e85. I picked up 20 rwhp running e-85 over octane boosted 93. E85 is cheaper per gallon but also gets you worse fuel mileage!

OP
OP

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
You need 47 lb injectors and a flex fuel tune so you can run both 93 and e-85 without changing tunes in case you want to take a long trip outta your state where there is no e85. I picked up 20 rwhp running e-85 over octane boosted 93. E85 is cheaper per gallon but also gets you worse fuel mileage!
I was thinking 2 tunes a 93 and an e85 that way if I can't find e85 I can switch to 93 tune when empty. I think that a true e85 tune will be better than a flex fuel tune, or is my logic flawed?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need two tunes. when you get low on e85 on the road or where ever just fill up with 93 and watch your air fuel ratio gauge. the ecu will recognize & adjust automatically to the new fuel. When it hits 14 your good to go with the 93. And vice versa when your low on 93 and ready to put e85 back in just fill up on top of 93 & watch your airfuel ratio drop to 10 and your good to go! Why load your ecu up with all those re flashes! Flex fuel tunes are easier, flex fuel tunes are better!

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
I currently have the GT catback and Roush intake. Stock headers because can't decide on longtube or shorty, and might do 11-14 gt throttle body.

Looking to tune soon but can't decide if I should stick to 93 or go E85, not having a lot of NA cyclones running e85 is putting me off a bit.
I don't recommend upgraded throttle body. Minimal gains for the money

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
You don't need two tunes. when you get low on e85 on the road or where ever just fill up with 93 and watch your air fuel ratio gauge. the ecu will recognize & adjust automatically to the new fuel. When it hits 14 your good to go with the 93. And vice versa when your low on 93 and ready to put e85 back in just fill up on top of 93 & watch your airfuel ratio drop to 10 and your good to go! Why load your ecu up with all those re flashes! Flex fuel tunes are easier, flex fuel tunes are better!
We dont have flex fuel cars. We need a flex fuel sensor in order to run a tune like that. Otherwise, you do need two separate tunes

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We dont have flex fuel cars. We need a flex fuel sensor in order to run a tune like that. Otherwise, you do need two separate tunes
You think my car here in the USA came with flex fuel from the factory? It did not in fact no mustang does! My tuner made my car a flex fuel car. So all you need is a tuner that knows How to do it!

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
So if I have mine that is Procharged I can run the tune without swapping my injectors or since it's boosted i should just buy them.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
So the answers so far are...

You can run e85 with a tune with stock injectors.
Then the next person says you can't.

You can put 93 in when you have a e85 tune.
Next person says we don't have the sensor to allow it.

I'd really like some clarification on this, possible with some data to support it please. I can't find anything myself.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Na e-85 tuners say you need 47lb injectors, cheap guys who just want to get buy say you dont need em. If you want to ad gas to your e-85 your tuner needs to set up a flex fuel tune so that ecu can adjust to the changes and keep your motor out of the knock zone! You can get a dedicated e-85 tune but it will also need a flex option to adjust to a lower ethanol content station to station. You cannot add gasoline to a dedicated e-85 tune that doesn't have the flexibility to adjust to it. Most tuners put the flex option into their tune whether its dedicated or flex fuel â›˝!

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Last edited: