Sponsored

Anyone add an aftermarket intake to their 3.7 with GT Throttle Body

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi All

I'm in the process of adding the 11-14 GT throttle body to my V6. Its at the machine shop getting new holes drilled. I have a cheap pipe off ebay to attach the throttle body to the air intake which fits alright, not great but should be close enough to work.

Then I started looking at intakes for sale for the 3.7 and wondering if its worth considering one for my setup. There's a couple that look to have pretty large diameter pipes, with a reducer coupler to fit on the stock throttle body. With the right coupler those intakes should fit on the GT throttle body easily and would look much cleaner I think. Links below.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-cai-1516v6.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-synthaflow-cai-15v6.html

If anyone has done this could you please chime in? I wonder if the benefits of an intake would be increased since the throttle body is larger. Perhaps this would introduce too much air and not be beneficial without a tune. I plan to tune someday but not just yet.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks!
Sponsored

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I have a Roush intake and the GT Throttlebody . It runs fine & I can feel a nice improvement Over all but There still a little bit of lag win you first hit the gas.. I am going with a tune soon

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I do not have the GT TB but I do have the Airaid CAI. the same one that you are looking at it made a nice difference on my car and when I got the MPT tune it woke up the car big time, I had to make sure it was the same car I bought , enjoy your car and if looking for a tune check out MPT they are one of the best for the 3.7 cyclone we have

OP
OP

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
awesome, thanks for the feedback! Most likely next year I'll put on headers and then do a tune at that point. Until then I'll enjoy the price of regular (.40-.80 less then premium in my area) while I still can :)

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Hi All

I'm in the process of adding the 11-14 GT throttle body to my V6. Its at the machine shop getting new holes drilled. I have a cheap pipe off ebay to attach the throttle body to the air intake which fits alright, not great but should be close enough to work.

Then I started looking at intakes for sale for the 3.7 and wondering if its worth considering one for my setup. There's a couple that look to have pretty large diameter pipes, with a reducer coupler to fit on the stock throttle body. With the right coupler those intakes should fit on the GT throttle body easily and would look much cleaner I think. Links below.

If anyone has done this could you please chime in? I wonder if the benefits of an intake would be increased since the throttle body is larger. Perhaps this would introduce too much air and not be beneficial without a tune. I plan to tune someday but not just yet.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks!
Look in the sticky thread. Lots of pics of many of us running aftermarket intakes in conjunction. I personally run the JLT. I have photos posted.

Sponsored

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
If you really like the 87 octane MPT has tunes that still use just 87-89 and bring more out of your car, I have not used them but others have that like them , I have the 93PR-X tune for mine

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Hi All

Thoughts anyone? Thanks!
I used a generic intake pipe off Ebay that fit almost perfectly, but also cost $35 and is the same diameter as the throttle body.

NedMcMahon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible
I have modified my Roush cold air intake to the GT throttle body.

First, I got the shapeways spacer - then ported it to match my ported intake and the GT throttle body.

Second, I got a 3.5" silicone adapter to fit on the GT throttle body and connect to the Roush cold air tube.

Finally, I took the clean air tube off the Roush and cut it along its length at the end that connects to the throttle body. I made 4 cuts along the length about 1/3 of the way towards the other end. Expanded the diameter of the tube out to fit over the GT throttle body end - put epoxy in the gaps and once the epoxy cured, I wrapped and sealed the end with fiberglass and resin. I will take pics when I get back from vacation for you if you want.

joe007

Joe007
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Does anyone make an adapter plate to mate the Gt throttle body to 3.7 intake.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Does anyone make an adapter plate to mate the Gt throttle body to 3.7 intake.
Yes check the sticky thread at top of page. It has it all there. It's made through shapeway. I used one.

NedMcMahon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible
The Roush clean air tube has an inner diameter at the throttle body that is smaller than the GT Throttle body. Instead of using a reducing coupler (seemed counter productive), I modified the clean air tube of my CAI to match the larger diameter of the GT Throttle body.

I used a Dremel to cut the end of the Roush clean air tube into a bunch of sections. Then, I inserted a cap of the desired diameter (home depot $1) to spread the sections out to the desired inner diameter. I used 2 part epoxy (home depot $5) to hold the sections at the desired diameter. I wrapped the tube with pre-impregnated cast material (ebay $7). Coated with 2 coats of clear epoxy (home depot $15). I used a 3.5" silicone coupler (ebay $7) and two 3.5" pipe clamps (home depot $5) to hold it all together. All in cost of $40.

Also, the shapeways adapter ($50) has a tapered (black pic) inner diameter - presumably to fit the inner diameter of the stock intake manifold. I have ported my intake, so I removed that taper to have the adapter match (silver pic).

Best mod yet - $95 ebay GT throttle body, $50 adapter, $40 intake mod. Less than $200 in costs, plus I got to sell my BBK 73mm on ebay for more than that to cover my costs. A win!
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
7.jpg

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I took off the Roush cupler and ordered a 3 x 3.5 airaid cupler for $18.00 it hooks right up

OP
OP

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
yikes, would take several beers before I had the courace to take a dremel to my relatively expensive Roush intake. Coupler seems much easier, cheaper, and less risky, but kudos for the ingenuity!
Sponsored