Sponsored

Mustang or M240i

dkoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Because of a few nagging injuries looking to move from Manual to Automatic.
Currently: 2016 GT PP FRPP suspension project 6GR wheels Steeda anti hop kit jlt intake and lund tune and backseat delete

I was looking over at the BMW forum considering a 2 series. Many comparisons and weeding through the fan boys they have a lot of good things to say about the pony.
Mainly considering a BMW cause the auto is smooth and its a little smaller than the mustang.
I have driven an automatic ecoboost mustang with the Pro cal tune and the auto just takes too long to shift.

The question is hold off and see how they 2018 auto is. Or go with a 2 series?
The Mustang is a great track car and the occasional grocery getter.
I do track about 5 or 6 times a year.
Sponsored

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Wait for the 18 10 speed and decide. Unless injuries are severe.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I would agree, wait for the 18 with the 10 speed. A lot of shifting issues may be related to the tune as well with the auto you drove.

OP
OP

dkoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Is the 10 speed that's going to be in the 2018 in anything else? I am not a fan of buying first gen of a new transmission or motor. Been there before and it was terrible.
The auto I have driven before the ford power pack and after. Shifting just seems to slow for track use. It would get annoying.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My recommendation is to drive some BMWs and see how you like them. I was considering an M4 or M2. I drove a few BMWs and I like the Mustang much better. I think a V8 sounds a lot better than a 6, for one. I also don't care for the cheap switch gear inside the BMW. I do think the BMW has a more prestigious look from the outside and some parts of the interior as well.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I can tell you with absolute certainty, that a 2018 Mustang with MagneRide and the newly developed A10 transmission is going to be an appealing ride.

I say this, while having driven a 1M, owned a 135is (w/ppk2), driven M235i.

I am in the same boat as you.

I just recently got rid of my monster and am looking at all brands. Have been with bmw for 20 years, I wouldn't say bmw's problem is with power delivery... it is with their car's symbiosis and bmw nannies. Mainly their lsd and powertrain.

For a modestly priced M240i, you can almost get a GT350. Or a 2018 loaded with whatever you want + whatever aftermarket kits you want. Along with helmet & track lessons.

I paid a bmw premium for 1/3 of my life because of their "acclaimed" handling and independent rear suspension. IMO, Ford's IRS and MagneRide makes bmw's premium moot.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
Is the 10 speed that's going to be in the 2018 in anything else? I am not a fan of buying first gen of a new transmission or motor. Been there before and it was terrible.
The auto I have driven before the ford power pack and after. Shifting just seems to slow for track use. It would get annoying.
its the same trans used in the current f150 with the 10speed.

It seems like its worth the wait...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If I'm getting a BMW, it's an M3 sedan or M4 coupe (rather have the sedan to be honest). Nothing else they make interests me enough to pay the price. I can't afford to buy and maintain and track an M3/M4, so I have the Mustang, which is itself expensive to track.

OP
OP

dkoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I drove the M240 and liked it. But idk if its worth getting rid of the mustang for. I have had fully built turbo cars and NA motors. Nothing compares to the linear power of the NA to redline. I saw on the forums people complain about traction control and not having an LSD.Only non LSD car I had was a 91 MR2. Otherwise all have been LSD and would like to keep it that way.
I have a daily driver so I want my toy car to be a coupe RWD. I have driven a C6 Grand Sport extensively and it drove great. But I am not a fan of the auto or the look. I am on my third set of tires for the mustang at 1800 each. Makes this car very expensive to track. Especially coming from a Fr-s. I think I am going to wait for the 2018 to see how the auto is. The BMW is more money just for the name when the performance is equal. Can get a decently optioned one for 45-48. When I got my mustang for 36.5k.

Short story: Wasn't wowed by the BMW for the higher cost. I will wait for the 2018s and see how the 10 speed is.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Just look at that same forum at repair costs and the amount of issues BMWs have before the warranty is even done and think about it after.

I have owned a 3 series and 7 series after the warranty has expired and will never own a BMW again.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
BMW has lost their way and spread their themselves out to far, and have become the GM of past... with too many saturated models.

Now, these morons are going to try and bring a front wheeled bmw hatch to America, when most everyone in America wants a rwd hot hatch. BMW been told this for 10 years and failed to bring over the M135. Epic fail!

BMW as a company doesn't stand for anything now...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I would have a BMW 120d all day long. That was the car I ended up with the longest in Germany (manual) and it was the greatest. Loved it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Oh, and I just saw an M240i today... EEWWWWW. Wheels are too small. Proportions of the body are weird. Car looks like a 90's Honda Civic in a weird way. Hated it.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Just look at that same forum at repair costs and the amount of issues BMWs have before the warranty is even done and think about it after.

I have owned a 3 series and 7 series after the warranty has expired and will never own a BMW again.
I'm going to second this. I have a couple co-workers with BMWs that have passed warranty and it has not been kind to their pocketbooks. And it's not the kind of stuff you can fix on your own. It's all of the electronic goodies that go crazy and it gets wicked wicked expensive.
Sponsored