Sponsored

Mustang GT4.R vs Camaro (ZL1 1LE)GT4.R

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
I was hoping to see the Mustang GT4.R go up against it's Camaro equivalent this weekend at Sebring, but it looks like the Camaro is not ready yet for IMSA.

The Camaros thought they were ready for the PWC race in St. Pete's last weekend, but a grandfathered 302.R showed them who was still The Boss in both races.
Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I was hoping to see the Mustang GT4.R go up against it's Camaro equivalent this weekend at Sebring, but it looks like the Camaro is not ready yet for IMSA.

The Camaros thought they were ready for the PWC race in St. Pete's last weekend, but a grandfathered 302.R showed them who was still The Boss in both races.
The Camaro will be at round 3 for IMSA. I watched the race and the Mustang and racer were impressive.:thumbsup: the Camaro got 2nd in its first race and did set a track record for fastest qualifying lap. To bad a gt350r didn't race.:shrug:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The Camaro will be at round 3 for IMSA. I watched the race and the Mustang and racer were impressive.:thumbsup: the Camaro got 2nd in its first race and did set a track record for fastest qualifying lap. To bad a gt350r didn't race.:shrug:
There is no 350R-C anymore...it's the GT4.

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's also curious to see that Multimatic has turned over their GT4 car and drivers (but not their number 15) to KohR Motorsports for the Sebring race. No Multimatic car in the race. Did some rules get changed, like builders can't be racers in GS?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Hi John,

The 6th Gen Camaro was never designed for Motorsport at all. Even the approved GT4 Camaro took extreme measures to perform, even against older cars.

One area thePill specifically talked about was airflow. The Camaro's fascia design limits airflow into the heat exchanger/radiator in critical amounts. You should instantly notice Blackdogs Camaro GT4's grill area... and the missing bumper support that impedes airflow to the radiator. Engine/Oil temperatures are a very big problem with the 6th Gen when it's flogged... The ZL1's front fascia is a computer design that was optimized for airflow and was a result of early testing.

Even with 11 coolers, a bumper cover delete (MY2019) and an AC delete, the front just doesn't pull air in :(

Obviously it's a compound issue, they need more heat extraction on the hood as well.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
It's also curious to see that Multimatic has turned over their GT4 car and drivers (but not their number 15) to KohR Motorsports for the Sebring race. No Multimatic car in the race. Did some rules get changed, like builders can't be racers in GS?
The drivers remain. Multimatic is just busy with full race support on the GTLM and LMP2 programs and support of the Merc GT3. They are stepping back to a customer support level. This is good as it will allow KOHR to finance their racing and keep two Mustangs out there. Pretty cool match between the two Mustangs: older, experienced driver and younger talent vs older experienced drive and younger talent. Dean and Scott used to work on Mustangs together...

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi John,

The 6th Gen Camaro was never designed for Motorsport at all. Even the approved GT4 Camaro took extreme measures to perform, even against older cars.

One area thePill specifically talked about was airflow. The Camaro's fascia design limits airflow into the heat exchanger/radiator in critical amounts. You should instantly notice Blackdogs Camaro GT4's grill area... and the missing bumper support that impedes airflow to the radiator. Engine/Oil temperatures are a very big problem with the 6th Gen when it's flogged... The ZL1's front fascia is a computer design that was optimized for airflow and was a result of early testing.

Even with 11 coolers, a bumper cover delete (MY2019) and an AC delete, the front just doesn't pull air in :(

Obviously it's a compound issue, they need more heat extraction on the hood as well.
There certainly seems to be some evidence for what you suggest from the PWC race in St. Pete's. New track record by C-GT4 while qualifying (cooler). It jumped past the Boss at the start of race 2 (while still cool). It stayed on the Boss's tail after activating the Rear-Bumper Detach and Drag Feature, which may have been engineered to help with cooling.

It looks like we won't get a chance to see a real comparison of the M-GT4 and C-GT4 until April, but then we will be doing the BOP Bop.
[ame]

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
There certainly seems to be some evidence for what you suggest from the PWC race in St. Pete's. New track record by C-GT4 while qualifying (cooler). It jumped past the Boss at the start of race 2 (while still cool). It stayed on the Boss's tail after activating the Rear-Bumper Detach and Drag Feature, which may have been engineered to help with cooling.

It looks like we won't get a chance to see a real comparison of the M-GT4 and C-GT4 until April, but then we will be doing the BOP Bop.
If you examine the Camaro GT4 you will notice they actually removed the front bumper to help cooling. That's how bad it is...

Last season the guys tried to open an SS up to get more air but it is beyond any issue with the opening size or grill mesh. It was determined early on that too much positive pressure is built up under the hood in which it forces air OUT of the grill.

We haven't had a ZL1 but we understand the design direction. Open it up and hope for the best. However, if your in traffic, you get zero air :(

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Mustangs lead both practice sessions, taking turns with the #60 car fastest in Practice #1 and #59 fastest in Practice #2. The opposite car ran 4th or 5th when they weren't out front, so they're looking pretty competitive. Looking forward to the race and qualifying, to see if they can keep it together and clean and get a win.

Last edited:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Maxwell/Buford win Sebring in Mustang GT4 #60
Let's hope the Ford GTs in GTLM can carry the momentum tomorrow in the 12HR, they have two on the front row for the start.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Maxwell/Buford win Sebring in Mustang GT4 #60
Let's hope the Ford GTs in GTLM can carry the momentum tomorrow in the 12HR, they have two on the front row for the start.
I see BOP coming for the GT4 Mustang, basically lapped the field for the win. Very impressive.:hail:

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see BOP coming for the GT4 Mustang, basically lapped the field for the win. Very impressive.:hail:
How would one know that the Mustangs did well. They never get the cameras off the dammed ST cars. If the field were 30 GS cars and 4 ST cars we still would have to watch the ST race.
That run by Jack Roush Jr from last to 6th(?) should have been followed all the way. Then I would have been ready to accept some BOP.
Sponsored