Sponsored

BBK vs JBA shorties

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I went with BBKs cause I had a set from a sale from sometime back that was meant for my 2013. Never installed them so I put them on the new Mustang. In the past I have installed a few of the EBay headers and have no issues with fitment, performance, or longevity in either my car or a friend's car we did the install on. i can tell you almost always in the case of shorty headers I do not notice one difference at first drive. After a couple hundred miles and break in time I do feel the difference they make. Car has to learn after all. Reality is you wont notice much gains till paired up with an intake and full exhaust system. I know the GT TB upgrade help tie it in real nice. I hope they don't scratch the crap out of your nice paint job. Those headers are a pain to install.
Thanks and good to hear your positive feedback, I will be shooting my tuner some datalogs to get everything dialed in nicely. I can't wait! I normally go with long-tubes but at this price point I had to test them out. Already ditched the stock 2.25" setup for a 2.5" GT exhaust. The good thing about it is, it's just cheap 4 dollar grill paint, so if there are any blemishes I can just touch it up again. Stuff lasts forever.
Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Thanks and good to hear your positive feedback, I will be shooting my tuner some datalogs to get everything dialed in nicely. I can't wait! I normally go with long-tubes but at this price point I had to test them out. Already ditched the stock 2.25" setup for a 2.5" GT exhaust. The good thing about it is, it's just cheap 4 dollar grill paint, so if there are any blemishes I can just touch it up again. Stuff lasts forever.
Let us know your initial impressions please!!

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Initial impressions... awesome!

-I honestly did not expect these to make such a difference, the rear end got a little loose just from mild throttle on a right turn. :lol:
-Fitment is really good
-Additional improved tip-in
-Helps down low tremendously
-Used the stock MLS gaskets and not the provided sub-par crush gaskets
-No leaks
-Very ergonomically pleasing.
-AFRS look good but I will be sending Torrie some datalogs to get these dialed and really feel their true effect and post updates.
-Sounds really mean without attracting the fuzz.

Verdict: If you want an upgrade over stock but do not want to pay outrageous BBK prices, these definitely offer bang for your buck! I might do an impressions video sometime.
20170316_164944.jpg
20170316_165013.jpg

Last edited:

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Nice. I didn't even know there was an alternative to the BBK.

Just saw the price on those headers and they are so cheap compared to BBK.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
Yeah if you could post up a sound clip

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lookin good! I would love to hear it
bizkitlimped said:
Yeah if you could post up a sound clip
Will do! :thumbsup: I will be posting some sound/driving videos after getting the datalogs done. It will probably be at least late this weekend due to long 40 hour work weeks.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Initial impressions... awesome!

-I honestly did not expect these to make such a difference, the rear end got a little loose just from mild throttle on a right turn. :lol:
-Fitment is really good
-Additional improved tip-in
-Helps down low tremendously
-Used the stock MLS gaskets and not the provided sub-par crush gaskets
-No leaks
-Very ergonomically pleasing.
-AFRS look good but I will be sending Torrie some datalogs to get these dialed and really feel their true effect and post updates.
-Sounds really mean without attracting the fuzz.

Verdict: If you want an upgrade over stock but do not want to pay outrageous BBK prices, these definitely offer bang for your buck! I might do an impressions video sometime.
From the video you posted I noticed the flange bolt holes appeared to be easy to reach, and from the installed pics this looks like the easiest header install I ever saw. Eight bolts to a side and lots of room maybe an hour with a couple of beer breaks and a trip to the little boys room. But if my wife finds out you'll be reading my obituary. They do look kind of stock though! Has anyone here actually done a shorty install, if so what was it like, any unexpected or unforeseen problems?

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
could you tell a difference in weight between stock and these?

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
From the video you posted I noticed the flange bolt holes appeared to be easy to reach, and from the installed pics this looks like the easiest header install I ever saw. Eight bolts to a side and lots of room maybe an hour with a couple of beer breaks and a trip to the little boys room. But if my wife finds out you'll be reading my obituary. They do look kind of stock though! Has anyone here actually done a shorty install, if so what was it like, any unexpected or unforeseen problems?
YES, I have four shorty header installs on Mustangs to date. Twice on the S197 4.0L and twice on the 3.7L, which breakdowns to old body style (2013) and our current one. NO, this is not the easiest header install. The driver side is not so bad. The passenger side is a whole another story. I had to cut my hand wrench handle in half to make a stubby one in order to get the bolts tight. The easy part is getting the stock manifolds off. Some of the bolts are damn near unreachable to get to with your aftermarket headers. It is not impossible by any stretch, but it is quite time intensive. The fastest I have done this install is 5 hours w/two people (granted we weren't rushing). The second being an experienced mechanic and a garage full of all the right tools. Hope this helps.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
So if you install the headers and then do a rear exhaust system, would you need a tune? Or could you run the vehicle without it? Would you see any increase in MPG because the exhaust is more efficient? Since breathing is a good thing for an engine would adding a CAI as well increase performance as well as MPG in concert with the headers and exhaust without a tune?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
could you tell a difference in weight between stock and these?
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to compare since I took it to a shop to install. Others are reporting any aftermarket setup is lighter than stock (even though the shorties still felt nice and bulky in a well built type of way). I'd wager to say they're most likely lighter.

Stam616 said:
So if you install the headers and then do a rear exhaust system, would you need a tune? Or could you run the vehicle without it? Would you see any increase in MPG because the exhaust is more efficient? Since breathing is a good thing for an engine would adding a CAI as well increase performance as well as MPG in concert with the headers and exhaust without a tune?
Even though I'm noticing substantial differences with these I always datalog after modding to make sure everything is tied together correctly and safe. There are others running them without a tune with no issues but everything is optimal with a tune. Long tubes, forget about it. You will need a tune for those as cats are going away.
Sponsored