Sponsored

2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Awesome job!

The stock intake tube is the same 67mm as the stock TB, right? Might need to shorten and modify the stock tube to allow for a cupler. Or use a custom 80mm tube and delete the PCV tubes (like whatdoyoufeedit has, or one that fords550guy made).
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Awesome job!

The stock intake tube is the same 67mm as the stock TB, right? Might need to shorten and modify the stock tube to allow for a cupler. Or use a custom 80mm tube and delete the PCV tubes (like whatdoyoufeedit has, or one that fords550guy made).
Speaking of that! [MENTION=13413]whatdoyoufeedit?[/MENTION]

I see you deleted the PCV tube but you also deleted the smaller vacuum tube that connects to the intake. How did you do this? Any side effects of deleting this connection? I have desperately wanted to get rid of it but just haven't got around to actually figuring out what it is or how important it is!

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Speaking of that! @whatdoyoufeedit?

I see you deleted the PCV tube but you also deleted the smaller vacuum tube that connects to the intake. How did you do this? Any side effects of deleting this connection? I have desperately wanted to get rid of it but just haven't got around to actually figuring out what it is or how important it is!
No side effects. It's just an vacuum line for the PCV system (which serves no purpose once the PCV is deleted). I just plugged it off with a Lowe's brass fitting, they sell all types of good brass fittings at Lowe's. **This does not affect the brake booster in anyway. The brake booster has its own vacuum connection. All you have to do once it's removed is vent the valve covers to the atmosphere with breather filters.

attachment.jpg

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
First draft of TB Adapter is done! Have to verify dimensions when my TB gets here and then it should be good to go! Plan to make a 3D printed prototype and then hopefully move on to an CNC machined aluminum part. Missing from this draft is a feature for the rubber seal... I am trying to decide if I want to go with the OEM seal or a more simple gasket.

The GT TB is tilted about 25 degrees from horizontal which hopefully should be enough to clear the thermostat housing and not effect hood clearance. That would be one of the things I will test with the 3D printed prototype.
So zackmd1 going back into business again cause I'm interested here. So far though I haven't seen a throttle body on e-bay for less than $150 and that was from a F150.:confused:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Another thought, I'm not sure if the top side of the intake manifold has those fins that need removed. If those fins do exist, I would assume that the adapter plate would also allow enough clearance for the butterfly valve to operate without having to remove them. I wonder if another purpose behind those fins is to prevent the TB from being installed upside down :shrug:

- Zack (and anyone else familiar with 3D Printing) -
I know very little about 3D printing, so this may sound dumb. I just did a quick google search and see there's 3D printer filament that can withstand temperatures well into the 200 degree area. Could a 3D printed adapter be a viable long term solution? Has anyone ever tried printing a peice with threads, to see how strong the material would be if something were screwed into it?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Another thought, I'm not sure if the top side of the intake manifold has those fins that need removed. If those fins do exist, I would assume that the adapter plate would also allow enough clearance for the butterfly valve to operate without having to remove them. I wonder if another purpose behind those fins is to prevent the TB from being installed upside down :shrug:

- Zack (and anyone else familiar with 3D Printing) -
I know very little about 3D printing, so this may sound dumb. I just did a quick google search and see there's 3D printer filament that can withstand temperatures well into the 200 degree area. Could a 3D printed adapter be a viable long term solution? Has anyone ever tried printing a peice with threads, to see how strong the material would be if something were screwed into it?
Shapeways does provide a very high temperature resin based material that can certainly be used for an end-use or production part. That said, the material is not cheap.... Preliminary estimates put the adapter around the $150 mark with this material...

Threads will not be printed with the part but can be added by tapping the holes after delivery. While I think the strength of these threads would be more then adequate for NA applications, I am not sure about boosted applications... For boosted applications it might be better to have the bolt go completely through the spacer and have a nut attached on the back side of the spacer. That way you are no longer relying on the strength of plastic threads.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
This is awesome!!!! Since the throttle bodies are pretty inexpensive themselves, i personally wouldn't mind paying more for the adapter assuming that's all that's needed. This is shaping up to be one of those "must have" mods IMO!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ok so I think I have managed to get the price down and select a suitable material. Heat resistant to 175 degrees F but no major material property changes tell 300 degrees F. It is nylon mixed with aluminum powder. Price is looking to be around $50 from shapeways. I will be ordering a prototype as soon as my TB arrives and I can verity bolt locations and dimensions!

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Orientation does not matter, the throttle body can be mounted upside down. Mine is mounted upside down (as seen in the pictures/ write-up) to make sure it clears the t-stat housing. Imho it looks better mounted that way and the electronics side aren't sandwiched between the radiator hose and coolant reservoir (though I doubt that would have any effects). The fins are only there as a "muffler" for NVH purposes, you can tell a difference in tone without them. The engine sounds slightly deeper. BMR has posted good results from fin removal in the 5.0 section. Also, not sure about the 2015+ 5.0 unit but the 2011-2014 opens the opposite way of the 3.7 throttle body so mounting it upside down actually makes it open the same direction as the 3.7 throttle body. The direction it opens makes no difference in performance and you could mount it upside down or right side up (depending if you are using a spacer or not). You are correct about the spacer allowing you to keep the fins, the spacer will provide the butterfly enough clearance for those who do not prefer to remove the fins.

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
V6 intake manifold is about 79.5mm in diameter.
Wow that's huge compared to the stock throttle body. That's nice for you guys stock GT manifold inlet is only 83.5mm so not much larger than yours or our stock thybody. It would have nice if when they designed the 2015 manifold it had a 90mm or even slightly larger inlet so upgraded throttle bodies actually made a difference.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So the spacer seems the way to go for minimal modifications. So with the spacer we won't have to modify the gt TB?
Correct, and hopefully with the spacer it will not require any modification of the intake manifold as well.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Wow that's huge compared to the stock throttle body. That's nice for you guys stock GT manifold inlet is only 83.5mm so not much larger than yours or our stock thybody. It would have nice if when they designed the 2015 manifold it had a 90mm or even slightly larger inlet so upgraded throttle bodies actually made a difference.
Yea it is pretty surprising how large the opening is. This swap should provide some very nice low to midrange gains.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Revising my previous statement.... The 2015 V6 throttle body opening is 76mm in diameter. The 79.5mm measurement is for the 2011-2014 upper intake manifold. Still quite large considering the stock TB and shouldn't effect the GT TB much at all.
Sponsored