Magnetic '15 V6 051a

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Is it just me or do both the Magnaflow AND Flowmaster cat back systems with their larger dia pipes (2.5" magnaflow, 3" Flowmaster) and their smaller round (4"?) mufflers sound higher pitched (not in a good way to me) than just Magnaflow 11365 mufflers?

Has anyone on this forum put on just Flow master mufflers (not cat back system)? From what shops have told me, it would need to be a 40 series I believe. One shop told me don't bother with super 44 or super 40, just use the regular 40 series. He said he could not tell the difference in sound.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Videos: My Manaflow 11365 Muffler troubleshooting

Though we have all heard V6 stock mufflers, I am including stock, Magnaflow 11365's with 4" i.d. Single wall 35136's as well as a video where I temporarily modified the tips to reduce their i.d. to 2.5" to see if it would reduce drone (it did not), all in the same exact sound setting for comparison. At the end is a Drive away and Drive by. :)

(Note to future video makers :) : Plan to do before & after videos with the same conditions if possible for more accurate comparisons. Car's location & orientation, camera angle & distance)

I was quite surprised to hear this drone as no one with 11365's has reported drone. (were some of you guys fibbing? ;) ) I heard Russian's with these same mufflers AND tips. I do not recall hearing drone in his set up, but he does have the BBK's.

I really want to hear from guys with exactly what I have (w/ 'Just' mufflers and tips). I think ajfrench has this set up, but I have not heard back from him in forum or PM.

The fourth video is a drive away acceleration and drive by. :headbang: :D :cheers:
I must say that as much as I want to remove the drone, I am NOT wanting to reduce overall sound which IMHO is hard to beat. I'd be willing to go ahead with BBK Shorty headers if it had some chance of reducing or hopefully eliminating the drone from 1300 to 3000 rpm's (w/slightly higher drone volume at 1700 rpm's)

You know the drill. Use headphones if you do not have a sub woofer on your desktop system!

ALL STOCK V6 Exhaust:
[ame]

11365 Magnaflows w/ 4" tips:
[ame]

My temporary test mod reducing tip i.d. to 2.5" (did not reduce drone):
[ame]

Now for the Finale, the take off and drive by! :thumbsup:
[ame]

Magnaflow has two straight 4"x9" oval offset mufflers that fit the Mustang. My 11365 11" long ones and 14" long ones. They also have a 14" long 3 chamber. I would hate to lose this great sound, so am not willing to toss in the towel on these yet. Zack calculated a 37.5" Helmholtz resonator could remove drone over a 400 rpm range. I'm trying not to go that way, but may need to.

Last edited:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Video: Interior of drone w/ Magnaflow 11365's

I am very surprised that I ended up with serious drone just adding these mufflers when several others have done this (Coupes w/ & w/o BBK headers) with NO reports of drone. I cannot imagine being a convertible would change the rear under body to affect this audible difference from the coupe vs. convertible in some mysterious way. :shrug:

Unfortunately it was windy out so that made for more ambient noise with the convertible for this cabin drone sound test. From the video I don't think you can tell any difference in drone volume from rpm's of 1600, 1700 & 1775 respectively. Live, volume change is extremely subtle. Of course the drone's pitch rises slightly with each increase in rpm.

Here are some time markers for different rpm levels:
Time .... RPM ..... MPH .. •Comments
3:10 .... 1400 ..... 53 ....
3:25 .... 1600 ..... 60 ....
4:05 ... 1700 . ... 63 .... • This is where my wife & I thought drone was slightly highest.
4:30 .... 1775 ..... 65 ....
5:00 .... 1600*.... 60*... • My video comments incorrectly said this was at 1700/ 63 mph

Other corrections to my audio comments: When I referenced 'Cat Back', I meant 'Axle Back'. I might consider just adding BBK's (like Russian, DJGold & others) to get more low end (power).

Conclusions:
Smaller i.d. Tips
are not likely to affect drone, but may soften the exhaust tone and loudness. I love the current exterior tone and loudness level! I would not want to reduce it, Especially if the same drone remained (or was only marginally reduced).
Adding BBK Headers. I am undecided on just jumping forward with this.

•What are the odds that adding headers will remove or significantly reduce drone inside cabin?

•What are the odds they would either: a) add more drone, b) magnify the current drone, or c) Add other slight to moderate negative audible effects (deceleration popping, change current low exhaust pitch/tone to a higher pitch :(, other?). The low end power gain would be a positive to offset 'some' of a what I might perceive to be negative sound changes.

I'd love some opinions on how adding BBK's to this set up might affect the drone and secondarily, the exterior pitch/tone.

[ame]

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Here is a demonstration of my drone fix. Below that is a reference to how bad the drone was before my resonator.

[ame]

[ame]

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
davekro,
Being a convertible could make a difference. The extra bracing on the bottom and the surely different acoustic dampening properties of soft top might be contributing. After all, the drone is amplified by the trunk chamber and cabin. I can't imagine the BBK headers doing much. I would try a setup similar to what Zack did.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Dave,

As previously stated in my video, I do get some slight done with my setup between 1600 and 1700 rpms. It comes and goes rather fast and is more subtle than yours. As far as sound goes, I am honestly impressed in how deep it sounds, especially being an axle back that was not designed for our car. Love it :)

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Dave,
As previously stated in my video, I do get some slight done with my setup between 1600 and 1700 rpms. It comes and goes rather fast and is more subtle than yours. As far as sound goes, I am honestly impressed in how deep it sounds, especially being an axle back that was not designed for our car. Love it :)
FireHive,
Thanks for the feedback. :)

Here is a demonstration of my drone fix. Below that is a reference to how bad the drone was before my resonator.
Zack,
Thanks for the videos! :D I could hear the drone go away at 2,000. So I guess it comes back 400 rpm's later at about 2400, right?

davekro,
Being a convertible could make a difference. The extra bracing on the bottom and the surely different acoustic dampening properties of soft top might be contributing. After all, the drone is amplified by the trunk chamber and cabin. I can't imagine the BBK headers doing much. I would try a setup similar to what Zack did.
Bmac,
I do not know about extra bracing in back underbody of the convertible (to possibly add drone). I have some pics from when on the rack at the muffler shop. It looks pretty minimalistic under there. Hard to imagine a coupe having less! I'll have to check out the underside of a coupe though. I figured too that resonance from under trunk would travel through the trunk to the cabin. I had thought a soft top would be less likely to reflect sound back into the cabin than a hard top. But thinking about it, drone is more like a sub woofer (low frequency) that does not reflect like higher Hz frequencies, but passes thru surfaces (why sub woofers can work in a trunk). Hmmn... So my thoughts of insulating against low freq. sound waves, well it ain't gonna work. ;) So back to removing the source of the drone by different mufflers, Helmholz res. tubes or rolling the dice and seeing what BBK's will do to the drone. After thinking thru this mental process, I think I sadly agree (darn you Bmac!) that headers don't seem like they would be likely to significantly change the resonant frequencies currently being produced at the mufflers. But I may not have anything to lose (except $500 bucks for parts and labor ;)) for having them put on.

I do want to try connecting with Russian again before making a decision on headers. Here is the underside of a convertible.
[ame]
Mufflers, Differential-900.jpg
Muffler, left-zoom.jpg
Muffler, Rt.-zoom.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
More or less my drone does come back around 2400-2500. It is a higher note though which could be considered as normal exhaust note and not drone. Plus I'm never crusining at 2500rpm for an extended period of time so it's not an issue. On top of quieting down a 400-500 rpm range I have found that to a lesser extent it helps throughout the entire drone range. It seems to "take the edge off" of the drone it doesn't completely eliminate.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Personally, i think a tiny bit of drone is actually pretty nice in a muscle car. I understand Dave is having too much of it though :(

Sponsored

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
David - your drone sounds a lot like mine, but it's hard to tell how severe it is between the wind noise and the crappy pair of headphones I have here at work. Of course, yours sets in a lower rpms. Mine starts at about 1800 rpm, and continues up through 2500. I'll try to get video, but it's a 30 minute drive to get to where I can cruise between 70-80mph where it's REAL bad. I'll see what I can do...

Zack - your drone didn't sound bad to me at all - in fact, I didn't notice any in either your before or after video. Of course, see the above paragraph about my audio equipment.

I did finally talk to Flowmaster about this. After waiting a week for the tech rep to call me back and leaving him several voice mails that were not returned, I just dialed in to the tech support line and got another rep. Turns out my first guy was out sick or something. Kinda feel bad I left him like 3 voice mails, even though no of them were at all nasty or anything.

So, the new rep (again) had to go to the R&D guys, and it took about 2 days for him to call me back. R&D said that they could not get any drone at all when they were developing them, so they want me to take pics of the install. It seemed pretty straight forward, but who knows - maybe I goofed something up like a hangar is banging on something.

The tech guy was very concerned, and very cool about the whole thing. He asked a lot of questions so he could document what was going on. Guess I'll see what they say after I get the ramps out and send them photos.

If they can't come up with anything, I guess I'll be throwing more money at it to add a could helmholz resonators.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Personally, i think a tiny bit of drone is actually pretty nice in a muscle car. I understand Dave is having too much of it though :(
Kind of like in a wife. A little bit of drone... no, wait.., ;)

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I unfortunately never got an interior video of my exhaust before my resonators. That video above was with muffler deletes. At around the 2000 mark my exhaust created intense drone. Almost to the point of causing secondary rattles in the dash from the vibration.

RUSSIAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 C.O. V6 MANUAL |#399 6G.M.R.|
So I finally got some time to learn iMovie (my windows broke :/) and here is clip of my sound. Not the mic does peak out a little but in general its pretty close to real life.

P.S. No drone...
P.P.S. Awesome is at the end. ;)

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]_IrKGkKstOc[/MEDIA]"]My set up[/ame]

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Does stock resonator have crossover?

A Magnaflow rep said having crossover in mid pipe helps reduce drone. I believe our stock resonator already allows crossover, correct?

A different MF rep said that dynamat 'could' reduce the transmission of drone into the trunk and cabin. The degree of reduction is unknown. Sound deadening will likely be my first step. I am off to research this topic. As I looked underneath the car by mufflers, etc, two ideas occurred to me:
1) The sheet metal channel that acts like a frame is hollow. I assume this runs the length of the car and is likely open/ unblocked most of the way. A long sound tube, if you will. It would be very easy to carefully fill the rear section with spray expanding foam.
2) Before trying the expense of Dynamat, spray on undercoat came to mind. I could coat the area above the mufflers and the underside of the spare tire well.

I could also line the inside of the spare tire well. All this would be relatively easy and inexpensive.

The MF rep said going to the 3" longer version (11225) of my muffler would likely just decrease drone the same amount it reduced the overall exhaust loudness. Not enough for me to be worth the $ cost and down side of a less aggressive sounding exhaust.
Sponsored