Sponsored

Tyre Wear on standard suspension

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
The car is going into Furrows for its first service on Monday. Along with the clunky trans and weak handbrake, my major gripe is that the rear tyres have worn much more on the outer edge.

I can't find my tread depth gauge to take an exact measurement but I reckon I'm down to 2.5mm on the outer edge with a good 4-5mm still left on the inner edge. I've only done 7800 miles so not happy about the possibility of changing tyres with less than 10K covered.

Is this wear normal or should I ask for a free geometry check?
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The car is going into Furrows for its first service on Monday. Along with the clunky trans and weak handbrake, my major gripe is that the rear tyres have worn much more on the outer edge.

I can't find my tread depth gauge to take an exact measurement but I reckon I'm down to 2.5mm on the outer edge with a good 4-5mm still left on the inner edge. I've only done 7800 miles so not happy about the possibility of changing tyres with less than 10K covered.

That doesn't sound normal, get the alignment looked at.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Doesn't sound right. Mine lasted 14000 miles but were worn more on the inside, not the outside so the other way round from yours. Has sir been doing some exuberant cornering? :D:D

OP
OP
23TGrabberBlue

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't sound right. Mine lasted 14000 miles but were worn more on the inside, not the outside so the other way round from yours. Has sir been doing some exuberant cornering? :D:D
Hmm ... probably pushing on a bit more than I used to. But I'm not drifting it around roundabouts if that's what you're inferring. ;)

Last winter, when its was colder and damper outside than it is now, I did notice that the rears did skip a bit on slow full lock turns.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
My fronts wear more on the inside due to a bit more negative camber than is probably advisable...
Frankly couldn't care less how fast the PZs wear and i like the look.

Sponsored

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10

Are tyre pressures correct

OP
OP
23TGrabberBlue

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are tyre pressures correct
If that question is "do you trust TPMS" then the answer is YES. :D Currently running at 2.1 BAR when cold and 2.3 when warm. I use an electric tyre pump and fill to 32psi as per the door sticker.

OP
OP
23TGrabberBlue

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheel alignment now sorted under warranty. Not driven the car very far, but it feels a bit more planted than before.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Wheel alignment now sorted under warranty. Not driven the car very far, but it feels a bit more planted than before.
Should do, bigger contact point if you were that out, and more stable if one side was droopy lol.

Really if the alignment was that shit and your tyres got raped, do you have a case for tyre replacements? :shrug:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
My car has been lowered for the last 20k kms.

Now at 36k kms (22k miles) and ive still got 2-3mm across the entire width of the fronts.

The rears also wear evenly, but a lot quicker :)

Theres absolutely no reason for these cars to wear the inside or outside quicker IF you have a good geometry set up, and that includes lowered cars.
Sponsored