Sponsored

Dealer unplugged dashcam

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Dealers can reserve the right to require dash cams to be off (private property). And if they did not consent to being recorded (the individual mechanic) he/she may refuse to work on the vehicle. I don't believe they are allowed to actually unplug it, technically, but the tech probably did so so he can go about his business fixing your car.

Please note: the instances of dealer abuse of cars is extraordinarily rare.
Quite obvious we're in different countries dealer abuse over here is rife and almost 100% inclusive.

Here's an example. One of the lads I grew up with works for audi as a service technician. Whenever they get a top end one in an R8 or RS model etc there's a queue of all the staff wanting to take it out for a blast they thrash the absolute shit out of the customer cars both brand new before delivery to customer and also afterwards. Its not unique to audi either I've caught BMW and Merc doing exactly the same thing.

The problem stems from the fact dealers hire minimum wage monkey who could never afford such cars so when the opportunity presents its self to them they take it. Also I do believe in the UK that because the car is not the property of the dealer in question they cannot stop you recording them with your cameras while they are at work in your vehicle no different than having say CCTV at your house and a workman coming to fix your boiler for example.
They can certainly refuse to work on it but they cannot disconnect or disarm any alarm or monitoring device without the owners permission they also cannot threaten legal action against the vehicle owner as its you giving them permission to work on your car not them giving you permissions to bring your car to them.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes, I agree that they have no right to disconnect it. I believe in the US that would be a form of trespass. Not quite sure on the word-e-ology for doing so.

Abuse of customer vehicles is NEVER caused by minimum wage monkeys. It is caused by poor management, enabling this. It is almost always a management problem, when we break it down. Lazy managers cooped up in an office or part of the "fun time in a customer's car scheme" is what enables that kind of culture. Blame them.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
managers are usually on minimum wage monkeys too and rely on their staff meeting commission targets etc to get their bonus's usually in my experience its the managers that promote this type of behaviour.
I know in the states your customer service is typically 1000% better than we get over here so imagine your worst and then think well its still better than they get over in the UK, you only need to look in a couple of threads here to see how much of a piss take dealerships usually are.
Sponsored