Sponsored

Is this dried up Wax

billybob4869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Bought a CPO '15 from the dealer today. Thing was clean when I test drove it. It went in for "detailing" before I drove it home. I drove 3 hrs home and then noticed the attached image.

Is this excess wax that dried up?

I tried using soapy water and "quick detailer" w/ micro fiber cloth, with no luck.

If it is wax, how should I remove this excess? Its all over the rear bumper.
20170811_190822.jpg
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Looks like overspray, in addition to severe swirl marks and rotary buffer trails. That paint job is jacked. You're gonna need to have someone who knows what they're doing compound and polish the the car. I can guarantee the rest of it looks the same way.

If those are sanding marks, same fix

Last edited:
OP
OP

billybob4869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looks like overspray, in addition to severe swirl marks and rotary buffer trails. That paint job is jacked. You're gonna need to have someone who knows what they're doing compound and polish the the car. I can guarantee the rest of it looks the same way.
:( Thanks for the comment (not what I wanted to here, lol). Maybe I can ring up the dealer and see what they will do. Kinda shitty situation.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
:( Thanks for the comment (not what I wanted to here, lol). Maybe I can ring up the dealer and see what they will do. Kinda shitty situation.
Sorry man. Honestly, I wouldn't let a dealership get within 10 feet of my paint.

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
No thats buffer burn. find someone who knows how to polish it may come out.

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
to me it looks like it was wet sanded to far and they tried to buff it up and burnt it

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Dried wax would come off rubbing it or with QD or water.

That's definitely buffer marks or wet sanding. it may be possible to take out though with a good DA and polish being careful as surely it's thinner there now.

OP
OP

billybob4869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Took it to a professional body shop today. They informed me, what it looks like to them was dealer/someone tried to do paint touch up on bumper but didn't do the whole bumper. The "haze" is where they likely wet sanded it to blend the colors. There is no amount of polishing/buffing that will fix it. They suggested the whole bumper be repainted.

So, I got a quote and ensured their professional opinion was included in it, sent it to the dealer. We'll see what happens next.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
If the whole bumber needs to be redone you may want to look for a used takeoff as another option. Some people swap out bumper and may have one in your color.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Took it to a professional body shop today. They informed me, what it looks like to them was dealer/someone tried to do paint touch up on bumper but didn't do the whole bumper. The "haze" is where they likely wet sanded it to blend the colors. There is no amount of polishing/buffing that will fix it. They suggested the whole bumper be repainted.

So, I got a quote and ensured their professional opinion was included in it, sent it to the dealer. We'll see what happens next.
That's BS. Of course it can be buffed out. They are just trying to make money off you.
I would ask a reputable detailer.

Sponsored
OP
OP

billybob4869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's BS. Of course it can be buffed out. They are just trying to make money off you.
I would ask a reputable detailer.
I was going to get a follow-up quote from a different body shop today. The first place is 'kinda' new around here but, they were the only ones open on Saturday.

I'll post an update once I hear from the new shop or the dealer.

OP
OP

billybob4869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
**Update** Another (more established) shop informed me they "should" be able to "buff it out" and also noticed other "detailing mistakes" done by the dealer... There is a long "W" shape from wiping compound on the hood (which could be fixed).

Dealer called me today and asked me to come in. "Coming in" requires me to drive 4hrs (there and back). I already made the plans to go up there, I don't have the greatest confidence this is going to turn in my favor.

OP
OP

billybob4869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
**Update** Another (more established) shop informed me they "should" be able to "buff it out" and also noticed other "detailing mistakes" done by the dealer... There is a long "W" shape from wiping compound on the hood (which could be fixed).

Dealer called me today and asked me to come in. "Coming in" requires me to drive 4hrs (there and back). I already made the plans to go up there, I don't have the greatest confidence this is going to turn in my favor.
Drove the 4hrs and the dealer informed me, they have a 3rd party come in to fix blemishes on cars. It appeared to them they started the work on the bumper and never finished.

Fortunately, they'll fix it. Unfortunately I have to wait 3-4 weeks and have to drive 4hrs to get it fixed.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Fuck that. They should be writing you a check to have it fixed at whatever shop you want. I wouldn't let the people who do that kind of work ever touch my car again.

DrChemE Hog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
It amazes me how much a dealership can mess up a detail job before handing the car over to a buyer.
Sponsored