Cleaning Engine Bay

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I've been extremely busy with work and decided to put my car in a local show on Monday. I have a day to clean the engine bay but I can't go nuts because I'm limited by actual time. I'm using water and rags to get the gunk off the engine, figure I'll wax all the painted surfaces after cleaning them but what's about the hoses and such? Will tire shine work. If I use water will it affect my engine at all? I have a V6 so there's no sweet engine cover hiding anything lol. Any ideas would be appreciated :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's how I have been keeping engines clean for eons...

1) Spray down under hood and engine bay (do not "supersoak", just spray down)
2) Get Simple Green - it will not harm metal or plastic surfaces
3) Spray the SG liberally over the entire engine and engine compartment
4) Wait about a good 10-15 mins
5) Rinse
6) Close hood and start engine
7) Let vehicle run a good 15 mins so heat from engine will dry mostly everything
8) Turn off vehicle
9) Pop hood and manually dry any areas where water may be laying
10) Use a dressing of your choice to wipe down any rubber/plastic items so they have a sheen - NOT a wet gloss.

That's it... been doing it for years, never had any issues afterwards. You can get the engine bay wet, but what some folks do wrong is they supersoak or drown it, which is when you run into starting problems.

Drek08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
'17 mustang GT PP

5) Rinse
7) Let vehicle run a good 15 mins so heat from engine will dry mostly everything
8) Turn off vehicle
10) Use a dressing of your choice to wipe down any rubber/plastic items so they have a sheen - NOT a wet gloss.

That's it... been doing it for years, never had any issues afterwards. You can get the engine bay wet, but what some folks do wrong is they supersoak or drown it, which is when you run into starting problems.

This guys nailed it! I'm a detailer and this is the way I do it and it works flawlessly. Engine bay comes out looking brand new. Use trim restorer of some sort if you can for the hoses and what not. I use shine supply's trim shine but you don't have time to order it and get it for Monday

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I use Adams VRT. Works great, no gloss, just clean and protected.

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic

5) Rinse
8) Turn off vehicle

Thanks so much! I will be doing this next time. I just didn't have the time to go nuts the other day, It still took two hours but looked pretty damn good. I think the Simply Green would've helped more.. I wound up using a small amount of car wash soap ( stuff I had laying around) but rinsed carefully as I don't have access to a hose. I'll be using this list from now on!!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just spray ONR where I can and wipe it down. Works great.

757DRVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

5) Rinse
8) Turn off vehicle

I'm a little late to the party. Is there anything electronic I should be concered with and will a garden hose provide enough pressure? Thanks!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm a little late to the party. Is there anything electronic I should be concered with and will a garden hose provide enough pressure? Thanks!
Garden hose is the key - don’t need any fancy high pressure washer... just adjust hose nozzle so it’s a spray pattern, not a stream. You’re only doing enough water to wet engine/engine bay for Simple Green to soak in and enough water to rinse. Like the normal wash/rinse of outside of car is same process for engine bay.

Electronics and harnesses will be fine - they are designed to withstand water spray as many of the connectors are sealed - but not designed to be submerged (as in flood waters).

IF you have an OPEN AIR CAI (exposed filter element, such as Roush, GT350 and other aftermarket types) you MUST cover it with plastic bag, so the filter does not get soaked and so you’re not getting any residual water into the air intake tract. If you have the factory sealed airBOX assembly, no need to cover it as it’s sealed.

757DRVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Garden hose is the key - don’t need any fancy high pressure washer... just adjust hose nozzle so it’s a spray pattern, not a stream.
Perfect! That's what I was thinking. Thank you!

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I agree with the process detailed above, however I do it ever so slightly different.

After spraying SG throughout the engine bay I then start the car and let it idle for about 15 minutes. This will help lift and remove any dirt by effectively steam cleaning the engine bay. After I do a light rinse and repeat as necessary.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

5) Rinse
8) Turn off vehicle

In between step 5 and 6 if you have one, use your leaf blower. This will get rid of most of the water and takes alot less time to dry afterward.

Also if possible cover the alternator with a grocery bag.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
SG is great stuff, but always be sure to rinse it off completely and thoroughly. It can do some strange things to raw aluminum if you don't....

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I sprayed on some Chemical Guys Nonsense cleaner, scrubbed it around a bit with a brush, then lightly rinsed it off. After I was done cleaning the engine I sprayed everything down with Hyper Dressing diluted for a stock finish and let it dry. It turned out great. I did cover my Steeda air filter, and some of the electrical stuff. My main concern was using a cleaner that would discolor the aluminum engine, luckily the Nonsense did not turn it white like I've heard some cleaners will do.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
So what's the easiest method to get all of the residue oil oil from dealership oil changes cleaned from the "skid plate" tray? I would image soaking it with SG, letting it sit and then rinsing is the most common sense way. Ideally I would like to pull the "skid plate" off and clean it that way but it doesn't look too easy to remove.

Anyone find a best method? TIA

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
So what's the easiest method to get all of the residue oil oil from dealership oil changes cleaned from the "skid plate" tray? I would image soaking it with SG, letting it sit and then rinsing is the most common sense way. Ideally I would like to pull the "skid plate" off and clean it that way but it doesn't look too easy to remove.

Anyone find a best method? TIA
It's not bad taking it off, it's just a few screws and push pins. Washing it with Dawn soap would probably work well, it breaks down oil.
Sponsored