Sponsored

Focus ST vs GT PP ride/handling

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I searched and read a lot of old threads comparing the ST/GT but I am curious how the GT w/PP compares in the ride and handling.

I've had the ST for over 2 years and 70,000 miles. I commute 110 miles daily on the interstate. It's not bad but a little bouncy and jittery. I always felt the rear was underdamped.

If anybody has gone from an ST to a GTPP for a daily driver I would appreciate some feedback. I know the reg GT rides great but have not had a chance to drive the PP.

Thanks
Sponsored

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I did. I had a 2013 with 60k miles when I traded it on my mustang. I have to say that I really miss the ... precision... is the best word to use.

We are in complete agreement about the rear of the ST. The GTPP does not have that issue. I will say that it's a little rougher on a bumpy road than the ST was, but as most roads I am on are not bad so I don't experience this often.

You will need more than a short test drive to really appreciate the differences, especially if you are not used to being in a mustang. If you're like me you will find yourself just being giddy about being in a new car... and a mustang at that.

My 1st test drive was about 6 miles, the second was about 20. That gave me some time to have some surface and highway driving.

Another thing is that unless you get the Recaro seats, you might find yourself missing that hugging feeling from the ST. The GT seats are nice and I don't regret them one bit, but still miss that wrap around feeling.

With all that said, I miss the ST but not anywhere near enough that I regret the mustang... because I don't regret it one bit.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I should really go drive a ST, never in my wild dream would I even considered a focus. Even the RS looks cheap, if I wanted a little 4 door it would be a wrx.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I haven't owned an st but a buddy of mine has one and I've ridden in it a few times. I would say from a comfort level the gt pp is a bit better. It still can get choppy over some bumps but overall the ride is very acceptable and even my wife doesn't mind it.

From a handling perspective the st will feel more lively and responsive. He says the steering is quicker than his vette! Masking the weight of the mustang is hard.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Yeah man... the ST was a f#king fun car. The RS more so. but I wanted to step up to a big boy car :D

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I have owned two 2012 MazdaSpeed3's which is quite similar to the ST and I can say with certainly the GT PP handles better. The MS3 feels lighter and likes to (has to) be thrown into a corner where as the GT PP is all about balance.

Overall the GT PP is much more comfortable to daily, and much more raw and rewarding on track.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I traded a 13 Focus ST for an Ecoboost Mustang Premium with PP. Both cars were/are daily drivers.

From a ride/comfort standpoint they are close but the Mustang is better. It is more composed over broken pavement than the ST. It is less effected by cross winds and tracts straighter. The biggest complaint I had with the ST was the steering was altogether to quick for a daily driver, the mustang is about perfect. The Mustangs ride is better, I am continiously amazed that a car with the handling the PP package provides can ride so well.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I guess I should really go drive a ST, never in my wild dream would I even considered a focus. Even the RS looks cheap, if I wanted a little 4 door it would be a wrx.
Do yourself a favor and go drive one. I test drove one about a month or so ago. I can't believe how fun that car was to drive.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
... a little bouncy and jittery. I always felt the rear was underdamped.
I just picked up an RS last weekend and I can see what you mean by a little bouncy and jittery. I don't get that at all in my GT350, but then again... it's got magnaride.

My RS actually looks better quality on the outside up close than my GT350. No panel gaps, all the lines look good, and the paint "appears" better quality. Then again, the RS was made in Germany so that might have something to do with it? Don't get me wrong... if I could only choose 1 it would be the Mustang.

Sponsored

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
I had a 13 Focus ST for 2 years and traded it in on a 16 GT. After a short while I missed my ST and knew I made the wrong decision. I tried like hell to keep the Mustang by modding it but the ST was just so much more fun to drive in the daily commute. I got a deal I couldnt refuse so I just traded the GT on a 17 RS . Loving the car!

OP
OP
Stranger706

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The ST is a fun car. Its just that, my commute doubled a year after I bought the car and its a bit too long of a commute for the ST. Its not a very relaxing car to drive home in. I want something a little heavier and better for long cruising.

Ford did a great job transforming the Focus into the ST, but its still a Focus underneath. In other words a cheap economy car. Its rattle city, the doors are thin and don't seal well. Lots of tire/road noise. The hood bounces around on the interstate. I've adjusted everything up/down all the way and nothing changed. That type of stuff.

And fwd is annoying as hell. Its fine in a heavier car, but in the Focus with 250 hp/270 tq, its too much. And no LSD. Wtf?

Plus, I've wanted a V8 since I was a kid. I've always had 4 cylinders, some with turbos. I figured I better get a V8 before the EPA bans them forever.