Sponsored

Can I just upgrade speakers on a 2017?

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
Hi all, seen a lot of great posts about upgrading the stereos in these cars but unfortunately most of the content is from folks who want to go all-in with subs and such.

What I am looking to do is just throw in a set of Focal or Hertz components in a 2017 car with the Electronics Package. There is enough bass out of a good 6" woofer to satisfy my needs so I'd like to avoid a sub in the trunk.

Can I just buy some component speakers and an amp to drive them or do I need to add a DSP and other items as well?

FINALLY - what is a ballpark estimate on what I should expect to pay a good install shop to do this work?

Thanks! :hail:
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Agreed with above. I was going to go this route, and I decided to just add a sub. So I picked up a LC2Ib. I have a LC7I for sale. PM if interested.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
That's what I did, swapped in a set of Hertz HCX 165 6.5" speakers in the rear. The results are an improvement, not a tremendous improvement, but my system now sounds OK. Mounting them required me to make an adapter, the factory speakers mount with 3 bolts and a spacer. The Hertz mount with 4 bolts.
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-coaxial-hienergy-hcx165/

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What sub did you go with? What's required to integrate it into the car?

Agreed with above. I was going to go this route, and I decided to just add a sub. So I picked up a LC2Ib. I have a LC7I for sale. PM if interested.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
That's what I did, swapped in a set of Hertz HCX 165 6.5" speakers in the rear. The results are an improvement, not a tremendous improvement, but my system now sounds OK. Mounting them required me to make an adapter, the factory speakers mount with 3 bolts and a spacer. The Hertz mount with 4 bolts.
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-coaxial-hienergy-hcx165/
Ok so you left the fronts alone and replaced the 2 coaxial in the rear? No amplifier or anything else? I hadn't thought of that, were your goals for better sound or additional bass or both?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What sub did you go with? What's required to integrate it into the car?
I had a local audio shop build me a box like the JL Audio one, and I used a kicker compvr 10 I had. I also bought a Alpine MRV500 and the LC2I with the bass knob.

Sub box

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So, does this all just tap off the rear deck speakers or to the factory head unit?

Where did they locate your bass knob?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Ok so you left the fronts alone and replaced the 2 coaxial in the rear? No amplifier or anything else? I hadn't thought of that, were your goals for better sound or additional bass or both?
GT's may have coax' s in back but the sad little one ways in the rear deck of a GT350 sound terrible and contribute virtually nothing to the sound quality of the system. Any actual two or three way speakers put in their place will have a noticeable and positive effect.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
This change provides a little improvement in both. I am sure better amplification would take this to the next level.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, does this all just tap off the rear deck speakers or to the factory head unit?

Where did they locate your bass knob?
Its coming off the stock amp tap into by the LC2Ib. The amp turns on when anything powered in the car comes on..Ie door open trunk ect. The base knob is on the left side under my dash.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Hi all, seen a lot of great posts about upgrading the stereos in these cars but unfortunately most of the content is from folks who want to go all-in with subs and such.

What I am looking to do is just throw in a set of Focal or Hertz components in a 2017 car with the Electronics Package. There is enough bass out of a good 6" woofer to satisfy my needs so I'd like to avoid a sub in the trunk.
Thanks! :hail:
Short answer is NO! So many things going on and everybody is guessing. The ACM [HEAD] does some processing and sends 4 channels to the DSP [AMP] which then feeds the 9 speakers. Both the ACM & DSP can be seen on forscan.

Now the system does ANC using the front rear mics. Also fake exhaust noise and bass roll with volume increase. Now factory configs are base radio, 9 speaker, 12 speaker and convertible/coupe.

Some say they have turned off ANC who knows. Only unplugging the mics works but then handsfree voice nav are gone.

Back to speakers the front door is 3 way with two feeds mid/hi 3.5" and 7/8" tweeter with a crossover cap, and a low 6.5" bass. So to upgrade front the only ONE that looks easy is a pillar tweeter with passive cross over but the crossover has to be installed in the harness before the door speaker pain. Or just use a cap. Inferior!

Rear deck speakers ARE NOT COAXIAL in GT350 like they are in 12 speaker system, so it seems they are low/mid reinforcement? Is there a delay in DSP Front to Rear?

Since we don't even know what ACM does even if you take low level feeds to your own amp and speakers it might still use fake noise, bass volume roll off and ANC.

Me I'm waiting to see if anybody can get a flat clean signal from the ACM by programming. So far I'm skeptical about forscan programming for anything beside blinking lights an chimes

There is a reason OemRadio and Crutchfield don't offer upgrades.

Last edited:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP