Sponsored

Installing Waylens Dashcam

kansasgt350r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Just bought the Waylens dash cam for my GT350R. I also bought the direct wires that can be added to the fuse box. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find downloads on how to remove pillar cover or how to run wire from behind rearview mirror across and then down without having any wires show? And then how to add this new wire to the fuse box? I was hoping to wire it to the rearview mirror but because the dash cam uses mini-USB that does not appear possible.
Sponsored

Cammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2001 F-150 Lightning
12V is available in the mirror connector and I used this to power my Valentine 1 with a short cable for a really clean look.

That being the case, you can use something like this:

to drop the 12V to 5V and splice the output to a USB cable with mini USB connector to power the Waylens.

Alternatively, you could use one of these:

Brian

OP
OP
kansasgt350r

kansasgt350r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Wish I were competent enough to try your recommendations. I think it is actually micro-USB and not mini-USB. But it sounds like I might need to find an installer. What I do know is that if it is easy to remove the panels so I can hide the wire I have, that would work...

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Once you get the Waylens up and running can you post a review?

I've been interested in this setup.

Thanks

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Wish I were competent enough to try your recommendations. I think it is actually micro-USB and not mini-USB. But it sounds like I might need to find an installer. What I do know is that if it is easy to remove the panels so I can hide the wire I have, that would work...
You don't have to remove the headliner and A pillar cover. There's enough trim slop that you can stash the wires with plastic putty knife or an old CD for that matter.

If you do have an installer do it, please remind them to secure the wires in the headliner. If you don't the wire will inevitably fall out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kansasgt350r

kansasgt350r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Thanks. Now does anyone have a good post link for how/where I connect the red wire (power) and black wire (ground)? Should I run it down drivers side or passenger side?

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Thanks. Now does anyone have a good post link for how/where I connect the red wire (power) and black wire (ground)? Should I run it down drivers side or passenger side?
Passenger side, there's a metal tab you can drill a hole into and get a good ground. You can get a switchable circuit on fuse 23 in the passenger fuse box. (switchable means the power goes on and off with the ignition). Use an "add a fuse" connector to get the power out of fuse receptacle and your golden.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There is a gap between the headliner and roof, don't have to remove it just push the cables into the headliner, The pillar trim just snaps in, Start at the top or bottom and gently pry it away. This is how I ran the cables for my Blackvue and I have a power magic pro that I programed to shut off when the battery voltage drops to about 12v or it can be programmed to shut off after a couple of hours.
Sponsored