lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
"Capable of 520hp with supporting mods (with custom tune)"

Maybe i'm still a bit new here, new to the Mustang - What can a stock Ecoboost engine / transmission actually handle?

Cause I'm stupid enough to say f'it and actually buy this, not knowing that I should of first upgraded pistons or rods or what have you...

Is something like this "safe" on a daily driver that'll only really be pushed from a red light start for a little fun / not on a track ?

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
About 400whp with auxillary fueling is the max for the stock block.

Pretty competitive price with the Vargas S2. I wonder how they stack up against each other?

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
"Capable of 520hp with supporting mods (with custom tune)"

Maybe i'm still a bit new here, new to the Mustang - What can a stock Ecoboost engine / transmission actually handle?

Cause I'm stupid enough to say f'it and actually buy this, not knowing that I should of first upgraded pistons or rods or what have you...

Is something like this "safe" on a daily driver that'll only really be pushed from a red light start for a little fun / not on a track ?
I think they are stating that as two statements, they just used () instead of a comma. Either way your tuner will only be able to tune your vehicle to what it can support anyway, so around 25PSI where you would start to run out of fuel/octane you would not be near 520HP either way. I would not pick too much on the vague nature of the marketing, they kinda try to lure you in with that statement without blatantly lying about the requirements. =)

Either way its a dual ball bearing unit, unlike the VTT offering and its a known brand which is good for the market.

I am kinda on the fence, I just finished adding some addons to my methanol setup so I may be in the market.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
All depends on fuel. My car probably makes about 460-480 HP with 30k miles and over 100 passes. What me and Mark (perfweld) have been preaching is feed her right and she'll treat you right. When guys are pushing the limits with 93 octane or e30 it's a lot less forgiving. I run Sunoco 260 gt plus which is about $11 a gallon.

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
All depends on fuel. My car probably makes about 460-480 HP with 30k miles and over 100 passes. What me and Mark (perfweld) have been preaching is feed her right and she'll treat you right. When guys are pushing the limits with 93 octane or e30 it's a lot less forgiving. I run Sunoco 260 gt plus which is about $11 a gallon.
Yeah.... turbo engines are pretty sensitive to fuel from what I have read over the time I've been on this forum. I plan to add WMI before going with a bigger turbo.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Is this actually out now? This has been advertised for quite a while now but as coming soon. At least 6 months but less than a year. Adam from Tune+ had been looking into this but gave up due to the delays and went with Vargas dual scroll.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this actually out now? This has been advertised for quite a while now but as coming soon. At least 6 months but less than a year. Adam from Tune+ had been looking into this but gave up due to the delays and went with Vargas dual scroll.
Well I know from turbonetics site it was pre-order, but now its being shown on Steeda's product line up, so I am not sure if it was scrapped, as it would not make sense for Steeda to offer it. I suppose a direct call to them is in order. I'll post a response from Steeda shortly...

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
According to Steeda it is still in a Pre-order status, they are going to shoot me a e-mail when they get a final date on shipping. He said it should not be too long, and from the tone it sounded like there is more validity that it is coming out soon since they just posted it in their product catalog. Will have to see.

Originally it was supposed to be released around Q1 2017 however its been in pre-order status on Turbonetic's site since Jan. Maybe its a matter of seeing how much interest there has been.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Talked with Rod from Steeda. He told me that they would be able to tune my car with this turbo on the Dyno at Pompano Beach location. Of course, I will wait to see some good reviews before I give it a go...:cheers:

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Honestly, for the price, I'd go with the Vargas Stage 2. The Stage 2 is slightly larger and $500 cheaper. Plus, it's available right now. Like Phil said, they've been saying this is going to be "coming soon" for over a year. It's looking like it's going to end up like the Cavalli turbo. We all see how that turned out.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, for the price, I'd go with the Vargas Stage 2. The Stage 2 is slightly larger and $500 cheaper. Plus, it's available right now. Like Phil said, they've been saying this is going to be "coming soon" for over a year. It's looking like it's going to end up like the Cavalli turbo. We all see how that turned out.
Yeah the reason I am bringing this up is that another vendor is now showing it as a catalog item, and they may have more info than we do. With it being so far past Q1 I am hoping it is sooner than later, as far as the price difference, one is dual ball bearing, one is journal bearing, so there's that.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
one is dual ball bearing, one is journal bearing, so there's that.
I'd believe it'd be a point of diminishing gains though. The VS2 will hit 28 psi at 3,000 rpms. There's only a couple mm difference in size (VS2 is larger), and truthfully, with these turbos still being on the smaller side, you wouldn't see the big difference between journal and ball bearing like you would on something larger, like a 6766. To me, the additional cost wouldn't provide anything worth justifying it unless you just really like Turbonetics or want it to be doing something different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Confirmed that this unit is shipping as of last week to pre-order customers, I was told by Turbonetics directly that regular orders will be shipping by December 15th and anyone is interested in their unit to order now as the demand is high.

Steeda has the unit in their online site as well as directly from Turbonetics.

As far as the debate on the Vargas unit or this one will come down to brand, longevity and quality. I happen to like Turbonetics in general, certainly over say PTE, but slightly less than BW. However as far as cost is concerned after you factor in everything the cost is a minor difference. It is still over 500WHP capable which puts it around the PTE 5862 as far as output, but with the twinscroll benefits and their quality.

Being different I think has less of a factor in choice. =)
Sponsored