Loud engine noise!

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Ok guys so first I want to thank everyone for being so helpful on all my questions recently.
Here's my next question. Engine rebuilt fires up,runs fine,no check engine light can go through the rpms fine no problem, but there is a loud very loud ticking/rattling noise from engine. And a noise like something is rattling inside the oil pan, nothing there though. Oil filter screen is gunked up though . But there is no visible damage, and nothing loose,even used a camera.
What is that noise???? Please help me
Sponsored

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Balance shaft? Unless it was removed...

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No it hasn't been.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
He said it's lined up with tdc perfectly

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
You would need to be more specific ..
1 what exactly was rebuilt in this engine and by whom ?
2 How many threads are you going to start ?
3 what exactly have you done to troubleshoot these persistant noises you are hearing ?
4 how does your vehichle feel to you as you are driving through the gears ?
5 why would you call this ecoboost an ecobeast ? This is misleading to me and I actually thought that you got a built block .

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Were the rod/main bearings sized properly with their clearances checked? If it's not the balance shaft carriage, then there isn't much more on the bottom end to tick/rattle unless something is loose in the pan that you aren't seeing.

Does the noise increase in frequency in relation to rpms or is it the same frequency regardless? That will tell you a lot.

Also, why is the oil pickup screen clogged up and what's it clogged up with? Please tell me that your mechanic didn't use orange RTV on the oil pan. :confused:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were the rod/main bearings sized properly with their clearances checked? If it's not the balance shaft carriage, then there isn't much more on the bottom end to tick/rattle unless something is loose in the pan that you aren't seeing.

Does the noise increase in frequency in relation to rpms or is it the same frequency regardless? That will tell you a lot.

Also, why is the oil pickup screen clogged up and what's it clogged up with? Please tell me that your mechanic didn't use orange RTV on the oil pan. :confused:
Ya know that last 1 .. that could be the reason for OP's tapping ...

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Ya know that last 1 .. that could be the reason for OP's tapping ...
Very much so. Low oil pressure will cause all sorts of issues, like knocking rods. :eyebulge: I know OP doesn't want to pull the engine again, but from the sounds of it, it's going to be the only solution to really determine what's going on. There's only so much that can be done with a borescope.

And you know what, I'm genuinely curious as to how the oil pickup tube can be clogged on an engine that was just rebuilt. Something is fishy here.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Any clutch or transmission work while the engine was out?

I've installed an aluminum flywheel on my ecoboost and can't believe the racket it makes. Sounds like a diesel at idle.

It will be coming out soon.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New game. Whom thinks that op is not going to divulge what he did to his newly rebuilt stock engine and trans ?
Sponsored