Tune Alternatives

OP
OP

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang - Detroit Engine
I think I have the correct PID I just went out for a little drive - and my Charge temp is higher than I expected, and I can see where it may hit 100 or above. Sorry as I remembered it being lower. Here is a screenshot for just a few minutes ago. Mine seems highest at stop lights.

Appologize to those who think I was BS'ing

Anyways - I'm not sure I will be upgrading the IC but thanks for the suggestions.
I wasn't originally going to install a tune but you know how it is.....Argh
screenshot9.png
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I think I have the correct PID I just went out for a little drive - and my Charge temp is higher than I expected, and I can see where it may hit 100 or above. Sorry as I remembered it being lower. Here is a screenshot for just a few minutes ago. Mine seems highest at stop lights.

Appologize to those who think I was BS'ing

Anyways - I'm not sure I will be upgrading the IC but thanks for the suggestions.
I wasn't originally going to install a tune but you know how it is.....Argh
Hmmm where at in NY are you? Around NY, NY? I wonder if yours isn't reading correctly. Seems to be an issue over on the Focus RS forums with accessport. It's not too bad though at about 25 over ambient over what I can find on NY temps atm. Now increase that temperature to 90...you'll start to see 110+. Under spirited driving it's pretty common to start seeing pretty terrible numbers. Here's a pull from speedfactory.

SF_IC_vs_Stock_IC_Datalog_Mod1.png

OP
OP

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm where at in NY are you? Around NY, NY? I wonder if yours isn't reading correctly. Seems to be an issue over on the Focus RS forums with accessport. It's not too bad though at about 25 over ambient over what I can find on NY temps atm. Now increase that temperature to 90...you'll start to see 110+. Under spirited driving it's pretty common to start seeing pretty terrible numbers. Here's a pull from speedfactory.

SF_IC_vs_Stock_IC_Datalog_Mod1.png
Im in the Adirondacks - North of Albany
For a couple of months in the spring, and a couple of months in the fall, temps here are 40-65 - My favorite time to drive this thing ! (and we have 93 Octane)

I can't imagine seeing charge temps that high.

I'll pay closer attention in the hotter weather, but we probably only have 10 or so days a year in the 90's.

I'm really just concerned with LSPI (as we all are right)
I shot an email to MAPerformance to see if they are keeping the stock LSPI tables / Ceilings. For all I know this is a tune Adam from Tune+ wrote when he was there - just not dialed in for my vehicle.

I'm OK with a little bit of pulled timing.

Worse case - I just use the Cobb AP OTS tune or revert and sell the tuner. I'm not spending any more (as of today :)) I've already had to replace the tires at 22K - got rid of those Neros for some Michelin A/P 3+ - and I spent a small fortune on a sound system this spring.

Thanks

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Worse case - I just use the Cobb AP OTS tune or revert and sell the tuner. I'm not spending any more (as of today :)) I've already had to replace the tires at 22K - got rid of those Neros for some Michelin A/P 3+ - and I spent a small fortune on a sound system this spring.

Thanks
Oh how many times I've said this haha.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my log while coming home from work with the ambient temp going between 65-68 degrees. 50/50 city/highway. You can see it start closer to ambient, and a (not even WOT) pull to 80 pushed it straight to 130. After the motor finally gets up to temp you can see where the IC starts to fail at it's job and get higher and higher. At the end of my 20 minute trip I was cruising at around 105-110 on a 67* day. That's damn near 40* delta. And if you look at the end it only gets drastically worse getting into 130* at a stop light. Those two are short stop light stops that I stopped the log for due to log maximum, there's only a 3.5 minute gap between the continuous log and those two. It does get high pretty quick. They aren't edits. If I would have been able to keep the log going longer, the average cruising temp was around 120*.

Temps.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my log while coming home from work with the ambient temp going between 65-68 degrees. 50/50 city/highway. You can see it start closer to ambient, and a (not even WOT) pull to 80 pushed it straight to 130. After the motor finally gets up to temp you can see where the IC starts to fail at it's job and get higher and higher. At the end of my 20 minute trip I was cruising at around 105-110 on a 67* day. That's damn near 40* delta. And if you look at the end it only gets drastically worse getting into 130* at a stop light. Those two are short stop light stops that I stopped the log for due to log maximum, there's only a 3.5 minute gap between the continuous log and those two. It does get high pretty quick. They aren't edits. If I would have been able to keep the log going longer, the average cruising temp was around 120*.

Temps.jpg
Good Info - I think I'll log my next commute - or at least the end of the Interstate drive. It's about an hour and 50+ miles. I usually don't have the tuner hooked up as I wouldn't leave it in the car for 10+ hours at work.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely don't miss driving an hour to work! haha

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Yeah you'd think the temps would go down on the interstate but if you're not under boost, the air isn't getting cooled. With my ATM FMIC, I can be driving on the interstate with charge air temps at 100* and if I give it a little gas so I'm into boost, the temperature drops quickly.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah you'd think the temps would go down on the interstate but if you're not under boost, the air isn't getting cooled. With my ATM FMIC, I can be driving on the interstate with charge air temps at 100* and if I give it a little gas so I'm into boost, the temperature drops quickly.
Don't forget many of us still have the AGS as well. I believe it closes at speed to help drag/economy. So you lose a lot of cooling

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget many of us still have the AGS as well. I believe it closes at speed to help drag/economy. So you lose a lot of cooling
Yeah I do tend to forget about those because my 50 yr appearance package doesn't have AGS and none of my other cars have had them so I'm not familiar with all of the effects.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
To add to this:
I took a 1.5 hour trip to Connecticut the other day.
Sitting in heavy traffic, with ambient 90, I was seeing CAT of 135.
This is with a Mishi intercooler, no shutters, and tune +.
Dropped to 115 while cruising at 70.
Dropped to 105 when I hit it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I found this datalog from not too long ago. I can't remember what the ambient was, I think it was 70*. You can see when I started the charge air temps were near 100*, going slow and no boost. I have the Cervini's Stalker hood with functional ram air that diverts the air in the scoop on top of the open GT350 intake from the FRPP Performance Pack (tune and intake). When I get up to about 50 MPH, you can see the intake air temps start to come down closer to ambient and level out just a couple degrees above ambient. You can also see how quickly the ATM FMIC cools down the charge air (IAT2) and in 3rd and 4th gear, charge air temps start to go up but only a little. With my stock intercooler by then the temps were going up VERY fast with a steep curve and it wouldn't have gone down very much earlier in the run. This was all at 100% throttle, you can see the boost where I let off.
1-3_Pull.jpg

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Great info. I also got very similar results to you guys with the cp-e DeltaCore intercooler on a 92 degrees day, although I did not datalog.

Joe which data monitor do you use to get the reading on timing? I would like to have this on my AP as well.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found this datalog from not too long ago. I can't remember what the ambient was, I think it was 70*. You can see when I started the charge air temps were near 100*, going slow and no boost. I have the Cervini's Stalker hood with functional ram air that diverts the air in the scoop on top of the open GT350 intake from the FRPP Performance Pack (tune and intake). When I get up to about 50 MPH, you can see the intake air temps start to come down closer to ambient and level out just a couple degrees above ambient. You can also see how quickly the ATM FMIC cools down the charge air (IAT2) and in 3rd and 4th gear, charge air temps start to go up but only a little. With my stock intercooler by then the temps were going up VERY fast with a steep curve and it wouldn't have gone down very much earlier in the run. This was all at 100% throttle, you can see the boost where I let off.
If I remember correctly AP timing is Ignition correction, while on SCT it's Spark Advance
Sponsored