Sponsored

Tune Alternatives

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang - Detroit Engine
New to the forum here - I've been lurking for a while.:)

I have a 2015 AT EB Mustang - with the detroit and NOT spain built engine. I've installed a Mishimoto Catch Can. That is the only bolt on upgrade.

I have resisted the tune urge for some time. I have had a 2014 V6 which I tuned via BAMA, an F150 with a Five Star tune, but hadn't touched my 2015 Mustang.

About a month ago I bought a Cobb AP from MAPerformace. I wasn't too impressed with the stage one OTS tune from Cobb. So, I installed the MAP tune that is provided when buying the COBB AP from them.

In General I like the MAP tune, but it seems pretty aggressive? Unless I pay particular attention or drive in Sport mode, I have seen 10+ PSI at 1500 RPM or so. I've nothing to compare it too from others like Tune+. So being concerned about LSPI and potential rod through my block, I installed NGK 6510's I picked up from Tune+.

I am looking for a safer tune, or some advice on where to get a safer tune other than the OTS Cobb tunes. Cobb removed any transmission changes and honestly with their stage one, I felt no difference from stock as a daily driver.

I know many will read above and recommend Adam at Tune+, but I did contact Adam for some information on tunes, and he informed me they now REQUIRE an intercooler upgrade for any performance tune for EB mustangs. That's a step beyond what I want to do.

Recommendations??
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
New to the forum here - I've been lurking for a while.:)

I have a 2015 AT EB Mustang - with the detroit and NOT spain built engine. I've installed a Mishimoto Catch Can. That is the only bolt on upgrade.

I have resisted the tune urge for some time. I have had a 2014 V6 which I tuned via BAMA, an F150 with a Five Star tune, but hadn't touched my 2015 Mustang.

About a month ago I bought a Cobb AP from MAPerformace. I wasn't too impressed with the stage one OTS tune from Cobb. So, I installed the MAP tune that is provided when buying the COBB AP from them.

In General I like the MAP tune, but it seems pretty aggressive? Unless I pay particular attention or drive in Sport mode, I have seen 10+ PSI at 1500 RPM or so. I've nothing to compare it too from others like Tune+. So being concerned about LSPI and potential rod through my block, I installed NGK 6510's I picked up from Tune+.

I am looking for a safer tune, or some advice on where to get a safer tune other than the OTS Cobb tunes. Cobb removed any transmission changes and honestly with their stage one, I felt no difference from stock as a daily driver.

I know many will read above and recommend Adam at Tune+, but I did contact Adam for some information on tunes, and he informed me they now REQUIRE an intercooler upgrade for any performance tune for EB mustangs. That's a step beyond what I want to do.

Recommendations??
They are recommending an IC upgrade for a reason. It's garbage. Even in stock form. Don't look at an IC as a performance upgrade. Look at it as a reliability upgrade. You are drastically reducing the performance gained from a tune by keeping your IAT2's high. You're just pulling any timing you may have gained from the tune. Anything over 100 and the car starts pulling timing, and for me in 85-90 degree weather is nearly instantly. My stock IC hovers at 110-115.

If you are going to keep the stock IC in, I would atleast pull off the AGS.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you aren't going to change your intercooler, I would get the Ford Pro Cal tune. It's pretty tame compared to the third party tunes but provides a pretty stout bump in power under the curve. I believe it's a 50-60hp average gain across the curve up to peak power which is a 25hp gain over stock.

OP
OP

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are recommending an IC upgrade for a reason. It's garbage. Even in stock form. Don't look at an IC as a performance upgrade. Look at it as a reliability upgrade. You are drastically reducing the performance gained from a tune by keeping your IAT2's high. You're just pulling any timing you may have gained from the tune. Anything over 100 and the car starts pulling timing, and for me in 85-90 degree weather is nearly instantly. My stock IC hovers at 110-115.

If you are going to keep the stock IC in, I would atleast pull off the AGS.

I understand. I've seen CAT maybe 105 once during a heat wave and city driving. I don't race or track the car. Just a daily driver and a little fun on the back roads. 90% of my driving is Interstate. I live in upstate NY and my charge air temp is usually never above 85. It's not a recommendation, but a requirement.

OP
OP

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you aren't going to change your intercooler, I would get the Ford Pro Cal tune. It's pretty tame compared to the third party tunes but provides a pretty stout bump in power under the curve. I believe it's a 50-60hp average gain across the curve up to peak power which is a 25hp gain over stock.
Hmmm..I already have the Cobb AP though. Has anyone compared the Ford Pro Cal to the Cobb OTS stage 1? I fear the Ford would be just as tame. I'd hate to spend that much more, and be just as disappointed in the tune.

I know I can't have my cake and eat it too. If only the MAP tune provided, shifted sooner and did not allow such high boost at low RPMs.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand. I've seen CAT maybe 105 once during a heat wave and city driving. I don't race or track the car. Just a daily driver and a little fun on the back roads. 90% of my driving is Interstate. I live in upstate NY and my charge air temp is usually never above 85. It's not a recommendation, but a requirement.
I don't mean to be that guy but I call complete BS on an average of 85 for IAT2's. Maybe on cooler 50 degree days, or looking at the incorrect PID. No way in the summer on stock IC. Every test I've seen done with it (and coincides with what I've seen on mine) is the stock IC is usually about 30 degrees over ambient, with pulls getting it up higher than that. It's not uncommon to see 130+ on stock.

OP
OP

IzzyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't mean to be that guy but I call complete BS on an average of 85 for IAT2's. Maybe on cooler 50 degree days, or looking at the incorrect PID. No way in the summer on stock IC. Every test I've seen done with it (and coincides with what I've seen on mine) is the stock IC is usually about 30 degrees over ambient, with pulls getting it up higher than that. It's not uncommon to see 130+ on stock.
On the Cobb AP - I don't know what PID it is - but I have the IAT and next to it the Charge air temp - Would you like a screen shot? Of course today is 73 - I bet it isn't above 85 when driving - Again - I'm not tracking or racing

I've never seen anything near as high as you describe.

I am willing to datalog if anyone would like - I suppose thats not perfect either as I could modify the results - Maybe a video of the COBB gauges while pulling etc.? What PIDs you want on the screen?

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the Cobb AP - I don't know what PID it is - but I have the IAT and next to it the Charge air temp - Would you like a screen shot? Of course today is 73 - I bet it isn't above 85 when driving - Again - I'm not tracking or racing

I've never seen anything near as high as you describe.
Doesn't matter. The stock IC doesn't stay that close to ambient. Fuck even aftermarket ones don't. 10 over ambient is PHENOMENAL for an aftermarket IC. Has to be an incorrect PID/reading. Sounds like it's an IAT reading not IAT2.

You don't have to race it. On the interstate most are getting 110-150. When at speed your AGS closes, so airflow is drastically cut. Your temps are still going to be high. Read through the big Intercooler sticky and see the temps. Some are getting up into the 200's. Here's another short thread.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28381&highlight=iat2

PJB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Doesn't matter. The stock IC doesn't stay that close to ambient. Fuck even aftermarket ones don't. 10 over ambient is PHENOMENAL for an aftermarket IC. Has to be an incorrect PID/reading. Sounds like it's an IAT reading not IAT2.

You don't have to race it. On the interstate most are getting 110-150. When at speed your AGS closes, so airflow is drastically cut. Your temps are still going to be high. Read through the big Intercooler sticky and see the temps. Some are getting up into the 200's. Here's another short thread.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28381&highlight=iat2
I am not trying to get either of you guys upset, my readings are consistent with the guy starting the thread. I still have my stock IC and the temps are usually at most 10 degrees higher normally 4 to 5. I have eliminated the shutters and drive majority interstate. The only times I have seen 100 is when the temps reach 100 here.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Like Spykexx, I'm not trying to argue or say you're making it up but I think you're probably reading the wrong thing. There is ambient temp (outside temp read at the bumper), there's intake air temp (IAT read after the intake air filter), then there's IAT2 which is read after the intercooler. Without my ram air, my IAT would typically be about 5* hotter than ambient depending on the weather and driving condition and the charge air temps were always at least another 5* over that and as much as 20 or so sitting at a light in the summer heat and that's with an ATM FMIC. The stock FMIC was abysmal, that thing would super heat, I saw IAT2 temps of 130-140* easy. I think you'd be more convinced to replace the FMIC if you were monitoring the correct sensor then your decision would be easier for the tune.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I am not trying to get either of you guys upset, my readings are consistent with the guy starting the thread. I still have my stock IC and the temps are usually at most 10 degrees higher normally 4 to 5. I have eliminated the shutters and drive majority interstate. The only times I have seen 100 is when the temps reach 100 here.
I think you too may be reading the wrong sensor. What are you using to read your charge air temps? My bet is you are reading the intake air temps and that would be normal.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you see 100 at 100 you are reading the wrong PID's. Your stock IC just does NOT get to ambient temps. If that was the case why would there be aftermarket IC's? You will never get to ambient/below.

Listen, Aftermarket intercoolers are at BEST hitting 10 over ambient (MAP I believe claims 7). Normal for stock is about 20-30. Once you start to get into it, it will quickly rise. If you are reading that close to ambient it is the wrong PID/reading. There are pages and pages of this being documented.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like Spykexx, I'm not trying to argue or say you're making it up but I think you're probably reading the wrong thing. There is ambient temp (outside temp read at the bumper), there's intake air temp (IAT read after the intake air filter), then there's IAT2 which is read after the intercooler. Without my ram air, my IAT would typically be about 5* hotter than ambient depending on the weather and driving condition and the charge air temps were always at least another 5* over that and as much as 20 or so sitting at a light in the summer heat and that's with an ATM FMIC. The stock FMIC was abysmal, that thing would super heat, I saw IAT2 temps of 130-140* easy. I think you'd be more convinced to replace the FMIC if you were monitoring the correct sensor then your decision would be easier for the tune.
Yup. On the highway I usually see 110-115 on a decent temp day. Anything over 90 though and it's up in the 120-130 range. This is while cruising. Spirited driving can really drive it up there. It just doesn't have the ability to cool air quick enough.

PJB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I think you too may be reading the wrong sensor. What are you using to read your charge air temps? My bet is you are reading the intake air temps and that would be normal.
You are correct, I have data logs, I should look at these, never have paid much attention to that for temps just sending back to my tuner.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I get home I'll try and upload a snapshot of a log on my way home. It's about 70 here today.
Sponsored