Interior Wrap Completed

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
Wanted to share some pictures from my recent interior wrap project. Was pretty fun overall. Panel removal was pretty easy yet terrifying cause it feels like you are going to break something. Came out better than I expected. The panorama is a little blurry, will retake it in better lighting. The last picture is trying to show the metallic in the vinyl. Hard to catch in picture

Pictures in post below due to photobucket being a-holes
Sponsored

Last edited:

Michael86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, Magnetic w/stripe, Tech Pack
Really like this idea and plan on doing the same in black. Can you elaborate how the "how"? I'm a newbie at interior trim removal and my google-fu seems to come up short.

Specifically looking for any guidance you can provide on the door pulls and shifter chrome. Does it just pull right off, or are there any tricks to it? Also curious about the steering wheel, I've read you have to disconnect the negative battery terminal (makes sense) but that's all I've seen on the wheel.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Really like this idea and plan on doing the same in black. Can you elaborate how the "how"? I'm a newbie at interior trim removal and my google-fu seems to come up short.

Specifically looking for any guidance you can provide on the door pulls and shifter chrome. Does it just pull right off, or are there any tricks to it? Also curious about the steering wheel, I've read you have to disconnect the negative battery terminal (makes sense) but that's all I've seen on the wheel.
The door pulls are kind of a pain, I'd recommend getting an angled "pick" tool to avoid damaging the plastic... even small flat blade screw drivers seem to leave marks.

CJ's Pony Parts has an excellent "how-to" on removing the steering wheel...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2l9iSQ&usg=AFQjCNEsENgtFhTEeSPc9dCfx1Q9AaRaTw

BTW, nice work on the wrap!

OP
OP
tza888

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
Most of the panels are just attached with clips so you just pull them off. With regards to the doors, i followed this youtube video [ame] The pulls have screws that attach them to the door once you get the panel off. Once you unscrew them, its really easy. If you are looking to do the dash parts, i used this as a guide as well [ame]

Like Mummbles said, CJ's has a good video that i followed for the first bit for the steering wheel [ame]

Michael86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, Magnetic w/stripe, Tech Pack
Thanks guys, looks like CJ's is the resource for removing stuff.

Sponsored

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
OP, is there any way you can repost your pics since photobucket has screwed everyone. I want to wrap my dash.

OP
OP
tza888

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
Here you go.
20161025_175240.JPG
20161107_101829.JPG
20161107_101833.JPG
20161107_102429.JPG
20161026_142056.JPG

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
Awesome! Do the vents come out of the dash easily?

OP
OP
tza888

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
yeah once you get that main dash piece off, they pop out from behind.

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Oh my.......that's.....uh.......red!

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
You did a great job installing that. I don't think it turned out well though....

OP
OP
tza888

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
You did a great job installing that. I don't think it turned out well though....
Not really sure what you mean by that. To each his own. I like it and its been in the car since November which is when this thread was originally posted.

Bealzabubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB / PP Platinum White
[MENTION=24540]tza888[/MENTION]

I think it looks great, but, really - the only opinion that matters is yours.

As I loathe chrome, a couple of questions:

1. Did the door handles (not the latches, but the chrome parts on the arm rest) *require* taking out the door panel? How'd you get them off? (videos above don't go to that detail.)

2. How has the wrap held up in wear areas? (Door handles, steering wheel - I can't see you handling the dash too often, nor the shift trim ring.)

OP
OP
tza888

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
[MENTION=30004]Bealzabubba[/MENTION]

Thanks. I totally agree that the only opinion that matters is your own.

I also couldnt stand the chrome/aluminum look.

1. You technically dont have to remove the door pulls to wrap them but it does make it a lot easier and it will be very difficult to wrap around the edge with it still attached to the door. Also the part that sits next to the armrest will be a pain. From everything I have learned, tight pieces like this are less likely to fail or lift if you can get a 1/4in around the edge. To remove the door pulls, it required removal of the door card. Once the door card is off, the door pull is held in by screws and comes off really easy. The hardest part is getting the door card off cause popping the clips still makes me think I am going to break something

2. It has held up awesome. There are only a few very light surface scratches on the door pulls which typically cant even be seen unless you use a camera flash or flashlight. There is no visible wear on the steering wheel.
Its just as glossy as when I installed it. You do need to clean surface smudges due to the oils on your hand but those clean right off though with no issue. Below are the door pull as they sit right now. The visible chrome in the middle was my error during wrapping and learning not wear.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
20170811_170641 (Medium).jpg
20170811_171158 (Medium).jpg

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
It's not for me, but I think it's great what you did. Very creative and really adds flare to your Mustang. It's true- only opinion that matters is your own. :)
Sponsored