Sponsored

roll racing

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Nice videos i like to see the real power of cars and to try to minimize driver error while racing. Only on car events or championships is were i like standstill racing.
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
While this might not be your preferred type of racing and these aren't ground breaking speeds, can we at least appreciate guys are doing something with their cars? I would much rather guys come on here talking about how they had fun roll racing then look at a bunch more posts of guys quoting 1/4 mile times with no intention of running their car.

These types of events *usually* are not judged by beating the guy next to you as it based off trap speed. You are literally just trying to go as fast as you can in the space allowed.

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
We have an event coming to Bradenton FL FL2k17 I should be entering in the roll racing event. I wanted to enter True Street but I have a wedding to go to that Saturday and won't be around when they start that.

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I usually race my car year round, Drag when it cools down (for FL ) lol so its in the 60s, then i autocross in the summer, and still haven't done roadcourse in this car yet. I feel it needs more suspension first for the power its making. It's been in a body shop that is giving me the run around for almost 6 months. You would think i was on an episode of Phantom Works doing a full resto. I can't wait to start signing up for more events! I love racing the car really in any form. Its fun to beat those exotics on the strip. =)

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
Bummer! I've done one when I had my Grand Sport Corvette. It was the most fun. You are seriously one with your car. You must have laser focus unless you have a lot of experience. I LOVED it.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Please explain what skill would be needed in my 2015 GT.? I line up with a 2015 Corvette. Also automatic transmission. I can promise you. I'll lose! Now matter what skill is presumed to be involved. He has more power in a lighter car with better tires. In a drag race he'll have to match my reaction time and my sixty foot to win. In a road race of course skill can change the outcome of the race. But roll racing? I'm not seeing any skill involved.
That's cos you're driving an auto for 1 thing, the other being that I'm guessing you're also running tyres that grip. Try roll racing a manual on street tyres on a track with zero prep. Suddenly wheelspin becomes a definite issue, as does the ability to change gears both quickly and at the right times...
It's not as skilful an art as launching from a dig but then again, launching an auto isn't exactly in the same league as launching a manual on street tyres either :cheers:

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I think some folks are missing the point, while others just choose to be Dbags. Racing doesn't have to be about skill vs skill. Some people just do it because it fun to go fast. Who gives a sh!t why they do it. That's their thing. People do different sh!t for different reasons. People also do the SAME sh!t for different reasons.

I like high speeds so 1/2 mile racing would be more fun for me than 1/4 mile whether it's from a dig or not.
This is why I'm going to give it a go. Plus the fact that my helmet is good with them, but not with the local time trial group. So until I get a new helmet...

Seriously though, it's just a safer way to open the car up for a half a mile under controlled conditions. Not that I don't enjoy and participate in a few not so controlled condition "events" that just happen on the turnpike now and then.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
That's cos you're driving an auto for 1 thing, the other being that I'm guessing you're also running tyres that grip. Try roll racing a manual on street tyres on a track with zero prep. Suddenly wheelspin becomes a definite issue, as does the ability to change gears both quickly and at the right times...
It's not as skilful an art as launching from a dig but then again, launching an auto isn't exactly in the same league as launching a manual on street tyres either :cheers:
Sometime pedaling a car during a roll hit is much more difficult that launching a car.

My 15 plain dead hooked off the trans brake on radials and would flat out just haul balls from a roll.

My 16 spins like no other on street tires at anything less than 98 MPH off the hit, and still spins the 3-4 shift. It's a little better with a sticky tire but from a 60 roll, it is very tough getting it to hook then dealing with an immediate shift into 4th.

From a dig the car hooks on Hoosiers and has just a tad bit of settling spin when the power comes in. Much easier to drive off the line, mainly because all the squirrelly action happens at much lower speeds on better surfaces.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That's jibberish. If your spinning from a 40 roll you either have yourself one monster Mustang. Or bald tires! My last car was a 400whp SRT-4 and it would not spin the front tires from a roll 40mph. Why do you think the ricer turbo Honda guys are so big on roll racing? Lets face it' people roll race for the same reason the ricers roll race. You don't want to take the time to learn to launch your manual from a dig. Drag racing a manual. How to race a manual in a straight line correctly.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]sPBZtNTVptE[/MEDIA]"]

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's jibberish. If your spinning from a 40 roll you either have yourself one monster Mustang. Or bald tires! My last car was a 400whp SRT-4 and it would not spin the front tires at 40mph. Why do you think the ricer turbo Honda guys are so big on roll racing? Lets face it' Your roll racing for the same reason the ricers roll race. You don't want to take the time to learn to launch your manual from a dig.
You guys must be doing it differently in the US.
In Australia, we are starting at about 30MPH.
A NA S550 that pulls 120MPH 1/4s will easily blow a set of street tyres off at thag speed.
As I said earlier, please tell me again how launching an auto on drag tyres is so much more skillfull than trying to get it right in a manual on street tyres.
I can get 1.8 60' from mine, thanks.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
My car will spin doing a 60 roll if I don't have a warm drag radial or NT01 back there. Since doubling my HP I have gotten back into a bit of roll racing as it's just smart for my setup at the moment (stock MT-82).

Hopefully next year I can have that new G-force Calimer built MT82 and get into the stick shift class at SCT along with the Bakery and my road race fun, lol.

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Looks like we're still on for tomorrow at Pocono Raceway for a roll racing event even though the weather looks a little suspect. I'm looking forward to it although a day at NJMP doing a HPDE or open track is what I'm really excited about.

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
So I participated in the roll racing event put on by Slipstream at Pocono yesterday. I drew two conclusions:
1-I would need another 300 horsepower to even be in the same world as some of these cars and
2-I had as much fun on the infield section of Pocono coming and going to the competitive racing part.
At one point the guy who was managing everyone and pairing us up at the starts leaned over and jokingly said something to the effect of, "you do know that car is made for road racing, and this is drag racing right?" He said he had been driven around the track in one by a professional during some kind of Ford Exhibition and was thoroughly impressed with the GT350 as a track car.

As for me I don't think I'll do another one of these unless it's at least a half or full mile. But now I want to get to an HPD event even more than before.

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
My local track said 600 wheel hp to even sign up. 75% of the cars were approaching or over 1000 HP. That's a league of its own.
Sponsored