Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Thanks everyone for your advice I will stick with my cpe intercooler for now. I may buy those tension clamps posted on Adams website as I get closer to completing my build.
If you need more cooling I'd look at either the CP-e Race core OR the ATM inter cooler.

I had the Levels Gen 3 Street which did well at cooling, but caused some lag issues and was not flowing the best with the stock turbo especially at the top end. I was loosing too much pressure across the FMIC.

There's plenty of FMIC's out there that cool well, but NOT all of them are appropriate for stock turbo applications. Some are better suited to big turbos.

Garrett, CP-e, MAP Stage 1 and ATM are probably the best four that I've seen in terms of optimization for the stock turbo, balacing good cooling but with low pressure drop and limited lag.

Now big turbo's are a different story and I have no idea what is ideal for those and it would depend on the particular turbo in question.

Also with the Ford Performance Calibration I get a Uxxxx body train code as I have no AGS and the assembly is unplugged. With LMS 91/93 I don't get any AGS codes because they disabled it for me. I left my servo plugged in originally for backwards compatibility with stock calibration but mine was still giving me codes because it was able to detect the position of the servo (most likely using the loading of the motor or stator position) was not were it expected it to be so I simply unplugged it.

The Uxxxx body train codes won't throw a CEL or Wrench light, at least not on my 2016. I can live with a hidden code I see no indicator for and doesn't affect my ability to pass e-check. Your mileage may vary depend on year and software build.

There are software revisions even year to year some times (two different PCM calibrations for 2016's for example). But usually they are minor fixes / alterations to get rid of bugs etc.

Just be careful with the FMIC you choose with the stock turbo and honestly if you really want to know it's flowing well, have the car dynod, it's not expensive, $75~$100 is typical for just baseline runs. At least then you'll know what your setup is actually producing and if it's not what you expect you know something isn't playing well which is what I found out and suspected for some time, but I didn't know definitively until I actually tested it to see what was really going on.

For those with the Levels, I'm not suggesting it's a bad unit, just there are more optimal configurations for stock turbo applications. I'd take a gander that any FMIC with a similar design to the Levels will have similar behavior. Most of them use off the shelf cores just with whoever's end tanks and brackets that's making the full unit.

Yes, the hesitation occurred on stock, LMS 91 and FP calibrations so it is what it is. Hope this helps! It's all about efficiency. The best cooling is NOT always the best, because it may cause too much pressure drop.

The best FMIC provides the optimal balance between pressure drop and cooling capacity that allows you to make the most power. Coldest temps do not alone make an FMIC well suited to the application or result in actual peak power output. The Levels actually cooled just a bit better than the ATM, however the car consistently and repeatedly made more power with the ATM and the lag was gone which made daily driving far more enjoyable.
Sponsored

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
I don't want to start another Intercooler thread but I have decided that I will definitely upgrade mine (and hope to get an Adam E Tune when all done). Adam suggested to get something a bit better such as the MAP Race but I will be very likely keeping my warranty as long as I leave the front relatively intact that is one of these direct replacement ones. I know they are not anywhere near as good as the larger ones but I am not racing and not trying to be a v8 killer. Just want some more consistent performance and enjoy a stage 1+ tune.

I have essentially narrowed it down to 3 -

the
#1 ATP Garrett Intercooler
#2 MAPerformance Street
#3 Mishimoto

Essentially these are the 3 that i can get my hands on the easiest.
#1 - Well its a brand we all know and trust
#2 - The street can be installed without taking the bumper off which is what I really want
#3 - As above, a littler cheaper but readily available.

For me its a toss up between #1 and #2, the Garrett is rated up to 600hp while the others 550? As the Garrett is same size as the MAP and Mishi (well very close) I can possibly try and use the install method from #2 to do the job without removing the bumper?

Any input would be appreciated.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Put the cp-e DeltaCore at the top of your list. Absolutely perfect quality (I think the best of all), much larger core than the stock intercooler, yet fits perfectly to the stock position. It's very effective in lowering CATs. Plus it's made in the US (a US aftermarket part for a US icon car!). ;)

Installed mine a while ago, could't be more happy. Go to this thread for photos before and after installation, as well as datalogs with CATs (posts 158 and 159). You will be impressed: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49365&page=11

Contact [MENTION=23593][email protected][/MENTION] for a quote and further info.

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
Installed mine a while ago, could't be more happy. Go to this thread for photos before and after installation, as well as datalogs with CATs (posts 158 and 159). You will be impressed: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49365&page=11

Contact [MENTION=23593][email protected][/MENTION] for a quote and further info.
Your data looks great, however this requires front bumper removal which I am trying to avoid (essentially, I will keep my factory warranty "easier"). Still, damn impressive and more to think about.

If I have to remove the front bumper I would probably go to Adam's recommendation of MAP Race or equivalent CP-E/Speedfactory. Argh - I wish there was a review site with all these side by side in terms of temps, ratings, ease of install and quality etc. haha oh well.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Your data looks great, however this requires front bumper removal which I am trying to avoid (essentially, I will keep my factory warranty "easier"). Still, damn impressive and more to think about.

If I have to remove the front bumper I would probably go to Adam's recommendation of MAP Race or equivalent CP-E/Speedfactory. Argh - I wish there was a review site with all these side by side in terms of temps, ratings, ease of install and quality etc. haha oh well.

If you feel like removing the front bumper, go map race, levels, atm, etc.

The only IC that can be installed without removing the front bumper is the MAP street. I installed mine without removing the bumper.

Sponsored

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
I have already bought the MAP Street :) Just long wait for it to make its way to Australia. But thats ok, I wont have access to my mechanic friend for 3 weeks so no stress. I'll do the IC, Filter, NGK's, Accessport and Catch Can at the same time just in time for the Aussie summer. Really can't wait to see the difference.

Then Tune+ E tune to finish it off (or cat back and then Tune :p)

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I'm pretty stoked on the cp-e Race Core.

Temps come back into line a lot quicker under boost. It's niiiiiiice.

i-JCwzNc8-X2.jpg

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP (Poverty Pack) 2.3T A/T
I'm pretty stoked on the cp-e Race Core.

Temps come back into line a lot quicker under boost. It's niiiiiiice.
Looking at upgrading my mishi to something more efficient for our 113 (45C) degree summer days. Running the factory turbo for a while so will this unit be too laggy?

Happy to spend up to $800USD was thinking ATM or ETS.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

I tested the MAP Street and the Race and was fairly impressed with both.

The problem with comparisons on ICs will be replicating the data, If I were to test the maps Street today in Germany 52 Degrees F and cold ass rain at 100mph vs Someone testing the MAP Race/ CPE whatever in Arizona with a max speed of 100. The Data would be all jacked up in favor of the smaller core. I am now big turbo so that will throw the data off even more.

If you could get everyone together to test on the same day, that would be more telling.

Anyways, my data shows that if you live in a temperate area, the stock location units are more than sufficient for the stock turbo, There are some drawbacks to going to a much larger core than the Map Race too.

You will only see a benefit to the larger cores after extended abuse or if you live in the south.

The Huge one's like Levels are only needed when you go big turbo and will reduce response with the tinystocker but are a good idea if you plan on upgrading later.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Looking at upgrading my mishi to something more efficient for our 113 (45C) degree summer days. Running the factory turbo for a while so will this unit be too laggy?

Happy to spend up to $800USD was thinking ATM or ETS.
I can't speak to it on a stock turbo as I have the Vargas Stage 2. On the Vargas I never really noticed a difference in spool between the COBB intercooler and the cp-e Race Core.

I'm totally stoked on this intercooler. I could not recommend it enough.

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Going with CP-E Delta core was definitely the right decision with stock turbo, there is just no need to go bigger and suffer pressure drop when its just not necessary for a street car. I don't see how you can really change out the IC without bumper removal with any IC really, I mean the space in between is just ridiculous it would be such a pain without taking it off and frankly its not really difficult to take it off.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I mean the space in between is just ridiculous it would be such a pain without taking it off and frankly its not really difficult to take it off.
With the AGS and everything on the car, it would be a GIANT pain to do. However, once all of that is gone, I can easily drop my big Levels unit out of the bottom without removing the bumper. I upgraded from the Gen 1 Street Core a while back to the lastest Gen 3 Street Core and didn't pull the bumper to do it. The level of difficulty really exists in whether some of the stock components are still in place.

But like Turbong said, removing the front bumper is stupid easy and I would highly recommend doing so for novice mechanics and/or anyone doing it for the first time.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Going with CP-E Delta core was definitely the right decision with stock turbo, there is just no need to go bigger and suffer pressure drop when its just not necessary for a street car. I don't see how you can really change out the IC without bumper removal with any IC really, I mean the space in between is just ridiculous it would be such a pain without taking it off and frankly its not really difficult to take it off.
^^^Exactly that! This FMIC can go up to 500 hp or more IIRC, it's already huge compared to the stock one and it works really good, even at the high temperatures that I encounter very frequently in my country (in the summer we see 95-105 F ambient temperatures on a daily basis). I wouldn't go with a bigger one because it would block the radiator and I would suffer pressure drop.

Last edited:

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I installed the MAP street without removing the bumper. It was difficult to get the old one out, just maneuvering it around. Getting the new one was less hard. It is an option for those who are scared of breaking those tabs on the bumper.

gtmorgan23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I just need to find a good deal on a used MAP street so I can put it on my wifes Ecoboost. She drives that thing like she stole it.
Sponsored